The Student Room Group

After telling someone the degree you study, what is their response?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 640
"Im doing Interior Architecture and design.."
"oh your doing architecture...." < No, its INTERIOR architecture!!!!
"oh good! im going to get you to decorate my home in the future :smile: " < omg im not an interior decorator.... otherwise i wouldnt spend 3 years at uni and a year in a work placement just to learn how to decorate someones room

either those replies or the awkward silence....
Reply 641
interesting/weird combination or why on earth are you studying spanish- you're not spanish!! I will be studying economics with spanish :smile:
Original post by Kezzi
Haha! They are veryvery pretty. & Ooh, we do GIS too! There's a "Fly" tool on the software we use which actually turns you into a seagull so you can zoom around the 3D landscape you've created, controlling your speed as if it's some kind of game.. it's totally barmy but so much fun. :')

Ah we have flying on our software packages too, it's great fun! For some reason this makes me miss GIS even though it was torture last year :tongue:
Reply 643
Original post by Flamin-Hot
Well I am studying sociology, so I am sure you can imagine I tend to get responses such as;

Oh through clearing?... Shame

Does that even count as a degree?

You will end up nowhere!

etc... etc...
I just laugh it off now and say something along the lines of;
I don't come into your line of work and tell you how to suck .... so don't try tell me how to go about my career!

I can't believe anyone would be so rude about your degree choice! Shocking...
Reply 644
Original post by Aphotic Cosmos
:frown: I want that module! Geological maps are purdy! They have them on the wall in Leicester's geology department, which is conveniently in the basement. Below geography. That's right geologists - we're above you in every way :cool:
p

We have the dinosaur, we win. :yep:

Anyway, when I told friends at home I was doing geology, all I got was blank looks. When I told the girls I was sharing in halls with I got 'why the hell would you want to do that?' looks... until the last girl in my flat arrived and said she was a geologist too!

And so far all my geologist friends now consider me a traitor now I've transferred to geog-geol (I'm getting a lot of stick from my geologist brother too)
Starting soon but mostly its congratulations after they hear where
Reply 646
'Oh, so you're going to be a teacher/translator?'
Reply 647
although I am guilty of going 'oooooh wow' at medics/lawyers
Geography and Politics

People tend to only pick up on one or the other when I tell them so it's either:

"So... where is... *insert capital city/river/mountain range*"

or

"So you're gonna be the next PM then?"

The odd person that does pick up on the fact that I'm doing a dual degree usually says "WHAT? HOW ARE THEY EVEN RELATED?!?!11"
Reply 649
Original post by Eleanor13
We have the dinosaur, we win. :yep:

:five: I didn't even know we'd be doing palaeontology before I started, it was such an awesome surprise! One of our fieldtrips was specifically to go see dinosaur footprints on Barry Island and tread in them, and an assignment was to answer dino-related questions just by going around Cardiff Museum and finding the information. Too much fun! c:
Reply 650
Original post by Kezzi
:five: I didn't even know we'd be doing palaeontology before I started, it was such an awesome surprise! One of our fieldtrips was specifically to go see dinosaur footprints on Barry Island and tread in them, and an assignment was to answer dino-related questions just by going around Cardiff Museum and finding the information. Too much fun! c:

Well, I didn't really enjoy my introductory palaeo module, much preferred maps and structures! Were they decent dino footprints? We were shown something that was conjectured to be dinosaur prints on a trip to Arran, but I was rather underwhelmed and unconvinced.

I was meaning to Aphotic that the Leicester geology department has a cast of a baby T-Rex in the foyer. It's called Jane :smile: And our geological maps and our dinosaur clearly beat the geography dept. :P
Reply 651
Well, I didn't really enjoy my introductory palaeo module, much preferred maps and structures! Were they decent dino footprints? We were shown something that was conjectured to be dinosaur prints on a trip to Arran, but I was rather underwhelmed and unconvinced.

I was meaning to Aphotic that the Leicester geology department has a cast of a baby T-Rex in the foyer. It's called Jane :smile: And our geological maps and our dinosaur clearly beat the geography dept. :P

Maps and structures are definitely a favourite for me, too! The prints on Barry were brilliant, here's a piccie:

(click to enlarge)

I went to Arran, too! We were also shown a footprint (was it up a little muddy track by a stream on a cliff face, near the coast?) that looked a bit vague, but were told it was early Triassic so it was a mammal-like reptile rather than a dinosaur.

And that's awesome, Cardiff needs a dino mascot! :')
Reply 652
Original post by Joinedup
Ahh that'll be the Norse Code :tongue:

Haha, nice. :biggrin:
Reply 653
Original post by Kezzi
The prints on Barry were brilliant, here's a piccie:

I went to Arran, too! We were also shown a footprint (was it up a little muddy track by a stream on a cliff face, near the coast?) that looked a bit vague, but were told it was early Triassic so it was a mammal-like reptile rather than a dinosaur.

And that's awesome, Cardiff needs a dino mascot! :')

Here's Jane http://www2.le.ac.uk/ebulletin/news/press-releases/2000-2009/2008/10/nparticle.2008-10-29.5012317484

That pic looks great! And yes, it does sound like we saw the same thing on Arran. It was at the end of a long day and I was spectacularly unimpressed (I was told to open my mind by a professor!), so I didn't take a photo and didn't write anything in my notebook about it. I just remember it as the sham dino print! I love fieldwork too, just hoping the geography side of it is as good as geology...
Original post by never_ending
History- 'oh, do you want to be a teacher then?' or 'oooook, so what can you do with that?'

Thought it would get better when i did a master's. Appaz not. MA gender and international development elicits 'what is THAT'. Always. Apart from people my own age, or who are actually smart, who are like, 'cool'.

Saying I'm at Warwick either gets 'oh cool, that's a really good university' or 'where is that, I've never heard of it.'

Have you ever had a "middle of nowhere!" response?
Reply 655
Here's Jane http://www2.le.ac.uk/ebulletin/news/press-releases/2000-2009/2008/10/nparticle.2008-10-29.5012317484

That pic looks great! And yes, it does sound like we saw the same thing on Arran. It was at the end of a long day and I was spectacularly unimpressed (I was told to open my mind by a professor!), so I didn't take a photo and didn't write anything in my notebook about it. I just remember it as the sham dino print! I love fieldwork too, just hoping the geography side of it is as good as geology...

Aww, Jane's pretty c:
And oh gosh, I can imagine, it definitely wasn't a very impressive thing to end the day with! When did you go to Arran, was it just before Easter? I know there were a few other Unis there at the same time as us - if you were the group travelling around by minivan we might have seen you, haha!
Reply 656
"Say something in French!" or "Why?" or "So do you want to teach/translate/do other stereotypical job associated with language degrees?"
Reply 657
I want to do Law and get- How can you defend the indefensible... GRRRR

Then I say I want to do Employment Law or Business Law and get rich... SCORE!
Reply 658
Original post by PagowenTheGreat
Are you studying MCB at Glasgow? That was the course I chose for Honours in April, but after looking through some L4 Biochemistry past papers and discovering how they assess aspects of quantitative biology in much more detail than the MCB exams, I sent a frantic email to the biochem course coordinator begging to switch to his subject (and he said yes, woo! :biggrin:).

Assuming you are in fact studying at Glasgow, do you mind if I pm you with a few questions about the relative merits of the different Group B courses? I received unconditional offers for all of them, so I can - hopefully - still transfer to whichever one I like before the start of my L3 teaching terms.

To the OP: when I tell people I study Molecular and Cellular Biology I just get blank looks and nods, whereas when I say Biochemistry they tend to go for the classic "what, like a chemist?" ("chemist" meaning pharmacist in this case...).

I am studying it at Glasgow, yeah :biggrin: And I'm only going into second year at the moment so not sure I know much more than you but we can chat about it :tongue:
At UG I did cybernetics and when I told people all I got was either:

"Oh... You must be smart" (which isn't true)
or (the much more common)
"What's that?"

My dentist came closest with:
"That's something to do with robots, right?"

Now just about to finish my masters in biomedical engineering and I get:

"What's that?"
and
"Oh..."

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending