The Student Room Group

Peninsula Medical School Applicants thread 2012 entry.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by Long Time Coming
I reckon it's their college/sixth form deadline.

good call. guess that's an upside to having a gap year and reapplying. does it make a difference how late we send off our application? obviously before the deadline of the 15th, but like, would somebody who sent it off today be viewed better by the medical schools than somebody who sent it off the day before the deadline?
Reply 101
Original post by j.rose
good call. guess that's an upside to having a gap year and reapplying. does it make a difference how late we send off our application? obviously before the deadline of the 15th, but like, would somebody who sent it off today be viewed better by the medical schools than somebody who sent it off the day before the deadline?

I doubt it makes much difference as they dont do anything til the ukcat scores come out in November.
Reply 102
do peninsula rank by UKCAT? Also, do they give a preference to those with achieved grades over predicted a-levels? Ta
Original post by pan_93
do peninsula rank by UKCAT? Also, do they give a preference to those with achieved grades over predicted a-levels? Ta

Yes, they have a ukcat cutoff which has already been mentioned if you just look through some of previous posts. And yes it would seem logical for them to choose a person with grades in hand for interview than one who doesnt. But thats only for interview purposes and they will also consider apps with predicted grades its not lke they will disregard them completely
Reply 104
Original post by iceman_jondoe
Yes, they have a ukcat cutoff which has already been mentioned if you just look through some of previous posts. And yes it would seem logical for them to choose a person with grades in hand for interview than one who doesnt. But thats only for interview purposes and they will also consider apps with predicted grades its not lke they will disregard them completely

They have already released a cut-off for this year? Or is that last year's cut-off?

So when selecting people for interview, the fact that I have achieved grades may put me at an advantage. I'm sorry for quizzing you, I applied last year and received four rejections without interview so I am striving to get an interview this year.

Thank you
Reply 105
Could anyone tell me how PMS differentiate between applicants? LIke their UKCAT, volunteering etc.
Original post by areyousure?
What was their cut off last year?

Thanks ^^

It's in the OP.
Original post by Seb
Could anyone tell me how PMS differentiate between applicants? LIke their UKCAT, volunteering etc.

Also, see OP.
Original post by joemullally
It's in the OP.

hahahah should read them before posting :P thanks ^^
In TSR, it is written that peninsula medical school "requires a minimum standard in each of four subtests, plus meet an overall target score which is set and reviewd annually..."

what exaclty is the minimum standard??? is it 600 marks or 500 marks??
Original post by oldbatty
Ok The ukcat is over(hurray) and my score is 672.5.I got 730 in AR and 760 in DA but only 550 in VR. I am going for :

Peninsula
St George's

but cant decide on others.
I have A levels in Bio (A) Chem(A) Maths(A) and AS English(B)
7 A*s and 4A's GCSE
Any help appreciated......
Please QUOTE me!

Hi! my scores are very similar to yours!! And right now, I'm thinking Peninsula, Newcastle and Leicester. Could you tell me which ones u r applying for??
Reply 111
Original post by histephenson007
Hi! my scores are very similar to yours!! And right now, I'm thinking Peninsula, Newcastle and Leicester. Could you tell me which ones u r applying for??

I'm thinking of Bristol because they dont consider ukcat,Liverpool for the same reason and they do lots of interviews and I am better face to face than on a form and probably Brighton because they like a bit of everything!!!
Reply 112

how many do peninsula interview and how many offers are given out?
In TSR, it is written that peninsula medical school "requires a minimum standard in each of four subtests, plus meet an overall target score which is set and reviewd annually..."

what exaclty is the minimum standard??? is it 600 marks or 500 marks??

the subset score was in the high 500's and the average req'd was 642.5
Original post by pan_93
how many do peninsula interview and how many offers are given out?

Application Statistics

Peninsula 2009 Entry Cycle Statistics:
Originally Posted by Peninsula Medical School
Applicants: 2196
Interviews: 800
Offers: 410
Places: 216

As OP said. Although it may be more or less this year. (perhaps 1 less as I already have a place mwuah ha ha ha)
How many international seats are available in Peninsula??
Original post by joemullally
the subset score was in the high 500's and the average req'd was 642.5

thank you very much.. quite encouraging!
Original post by oldbatty
I'm thinking of Bristol because they dont consider ukcat,Liverpool for the same reason and they do lots of interviews and I am better face to face than on a form and probably Brighton because they like a bit of everything!!!

Thank you for sharing! But does Brighton even offer medicine??
(edited 12 years ago)

He's referring to BSMS (Brighton and Sussex medical school).
Reply 119

It's just been voted the friendliest medical school. It is called Brighton and Sussex medical school.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending