The Student Room Group
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele

Keele Freshers Thread 2012

Scroll to see replies

I've been here less then a month and am completely in love with the place :love:

What other uni puts squirrels on their hoodies? :awesome:
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele
Reply 41
Same, It's absolutely fantastic. Freshers week was amazing but I'm till not quite used to the heavy workload, but, this is uni and If you want to succeed you have to put the effort in.

Keele is a beautiful, lots of shops in the local towns and plenty of stuff to do. There's always a party on campus somewhere, the alcohol is cheap, the union is decent and there's plenty of socials on as well. I'd defiantly recommend people at least go to pone of the open days and check it out.
aw thankyou guys! thats really helped me make some descisions. im glad youve said its good because i secretly would have applied anyway haha. Have you got some names for the bars and stuff so i can check them out? :smile:
Reply 43
Yes there's 'The scruffy squirrel' which is the main bar in the union. It's always packed, it has pool tables, balcony, huge tv's to watch sport and is always a good night. There's 'blueprint' which is connected to the 'ss' and has a dance floor, bar table, stage, ect. It's where all the musicians and dj's play and is always playing good music. There's 'k2' which is connected to the 'ss' on the other side by a short walkway and Is generally the quietest(i normally buy my drinks in there then take them too blueprint for the music). This is where they always do karaoke and they have a dance floor in there too. It's also a nice place to have a more relaxed drink as it's less crowded then the other two.

Each halls of residence also have there own bar(except for holly cross and oaks) and they generally do drinks quite cheap. 'The pig and rat' which is the Barnes resident bar is generally quite good and is where a lot of the second years drink.

Aside from that I'm not sure, I never really go off campus for drinks, we always either go to the union or go to a house party. If you come on the open day defiantly check out the union bars they're very good.
I'll be applying for Keele to do History and Maths and I must admit its not the one I'm truely rooting for (After St. Andrews and Glasgow it sort of becomes a muddle between Aberdeen Aberstwyth which I cannot pronounce let alone anything else and Keele) but you never know, persoanlly I think its third on my list (second when St. Andrews rejects me), good luck to everyone else applying though I'm sure you'll all do fine :biggrin:
Reply 45
i attended the open day on the 15th and loved the campus.
Reply 46
I certainly am! Anyone else thinking of studying Politics at Keele? The study abroad scheme?! <3 that idea so much!
Reply 47
I went to the open day and I literally fell in love with the place. The people seemed so nice and the maths course looked right up my street :P
Keele one of those uni's where you absolutely love it or you hate it. My girlfriend did her BA, MA and now her PhD here and she's also doing some teaching and I'm pretty sure I'm going to need a crowbar to remove her from this place when the time comes. I absolutely hated my time here and left after my first year. Saying that, I am typing this from on Keele campus and it is pretty in the Autumn. Pretty was still important in my decision of where to go next (I ended up at Nottingham), just make sure you know your chosen course inside and out and read what other people have written and then make your decision.

And do not be distracted by the squirrels - they're evil little buggers sometimes! Good luck to everyone that's applying this year!
I got a conditional offer off Keele today for Human Biology and Biochemistry dual honours! So happy!
Reply 50
Original post by Shaz51
anyone applying to medicine? :smile:
...and/or attending open day on oct 15th?

Hey :smile: I'm applying for medicine here.... the medical building is gorgeous!!! :smile: :heart: and don't think they look at ukcat tooo much :smile: more at personal statement and school reference :smile:
Reply 51
I am applying for Chemistry and Maths. :smile:

I haven't been to the open day, but the photos of the campus look amazing!

Has anyone got any offers/ acknowledgements from the Chemistry or Maths departments yet?
Reply 52
Original post by ChipDeeks
I certainly am! Anyone else thinking of studying Politics at Keele? The study abroad scheme?! <3 that idea so much!

I applied for Politics and History; the politics course sounds great :smile: Does anyone know how long it typically takes for Keele to make offers?
Reply 53
Keele is a lovely uni and a beautiful campus. I'm from Stoke, I don't go Keele uni, but I know a lot of people who do.

I don't know much about the SU or the on campus stuff, but you're only a short taxi journey away from Newcastle-Under-Lyme which is a good night out, there's lots of clubs there such as Revs, Ikon, Fluid and Reflex. Or if you wanted you could go to Hanley for a night out, which is much better imo. There you have Chicagos, Manhattan, Walkabout and Reflex (again, this one is much better than the Newcastle one though).
Reply 54
hello everybody. Im an international student and this university have offered me a place law and politics.I would be very happy to talk with anyone who are also applied or thinking about it :smile: I need to improve my English language skills :smile: thank you!
Reply 55
Original post by ajira
hello everybody. Im an international student and this university have offered me a place law and politics.I would be very happy to talk with anyone who are also applied or thinking about it :smile: I need to improve my English language skills :smile: thank you!

I've applied for History and Politics :smile: ..no offer yet though. I'm an international student too...and I was just wondering how long it took for you to receive an offer?
Reply 56
Original post by Stokiealex
Hiya, I've applied for History and Politics...and am definitely hoping for an offer :P I'm an international student too, and I was just wondering how long it took for you to receive an offer? When did you apply?

Hey!I sent UCAS application in September 27th,recieved offer in October 13th :smile: So im calm now,because I already have met with conditions.Are you from USA?Did you send your application? :smile:
Reply 57
Original post by ajira
Hey!I sent UCAS application in September 27th,recieved offer in October 13th :smile: So im calm now,because I already have met with conditions.Are you from USA?Did you send your application? :smile:

Thank you! Okay cool, so only a couple of weeks then :smile: I sent mine in last Saturday...so about a week ago. I was just wondering how long it typically takes. Congratulations on getting accepted, I'm so jealous :L Yeah, I'm from the US, so luckily I don't have to worry about learning English :wink: ...And I'm guessing by the flag that your from Lithuania?? or I'm just completely wrong about that lol. Also, just out of curiosity, did Keele ever send you an email acknowledging that they'd recieved your application? Because every other school that I applied to did that...so I'm starting to worry about Keele...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 58
Original post by alex_coleman
Me! :smile: Do you know how much the tuition fees will be? And what are you looking to study!

Does anyone know if at Keele your first year marks count towards your final degree classification? I know at some unis only the second and third years count.

Quick Reply

Latest