The Student Room Group

Pro-life society...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by When you see it...
I didn't think sapience had anything to do with it. Babies aren't sapient, so are you saying that it is okay to kill them?
Also, the hypothesis still applies to you - you just do't consider foetuses humans, therefore are 'pro-choice'. That is a textbook application of this hypothesis and I understand your viewpoint, whilst obviously disagreeing with it.

To clarify; when something is sapient, I believe it is unethical to kill it. A late term foetus may be semi-sapient, hence why I do believe in a time limit after which abortion should not be an option. I consider a foetus to be a proto-human, similar to gametes. A potential but as yet not fully realised. A baby may not have fully developed cognitive faculties, however they're by definition sapient as they can and will acquire knowledge and experience.

There was no real hypothesis if I'm honest; it was more a definition of Pro-life/Pro-choice divide - if I believed that a foetus were, in your words, a human being as such, then I would be, almost by definition, Pro-life.
Original post by Skeletorfw
To clarify; when something is sapient, I believe it is unethical to kill it. A late term foetus may be semi-sapient, hence why I do believe in a time limit after which abortion should not be an option. I consider a foetus to be a proto-human, similar to gametes. A potential but as yet not fully realised. A baby may not have fully developed cognitive faculties, however they're by definition sapient as they can and will acquire knowledge and experience.

There was no real hypothesis if I'm honest; it was more a definition of Pro-life/Pro-choice divide - if I believed that a foetus were, in your words, a human being as such, then I would be, almost by definition, Pro-life.

I don't get how a baby is more sapient than a foetus?
Whoa, at last some replies!

Okay then. I simply believe that foetuses are alive and are 'humans'. Therefore, it naturally follows that it is wrong to abort foetuses, even if the mother was raped or had a malfuntioning condom or whatever. I do however believe that if the foetus is unlikely to survive and the mother's life would be put in danger by going ahead with the birth (the doctor would have to scrutinise the probabilities very carefully to decide the best course of action) then abortion woud be acceptable (perhaps compulsory). I am against making abortion illegal as that would not stop it from happening (same with drugs, prostitution etc.), but believe in increasing public awareness about just how 'alive' foetuses are and more sex education at a much younger age than it is provided currently.
Abortion is a big issue for me because I just think it is a social atrocity on the same scale as the holocaust and the bombings of Hiroshima/Nagasaki and all wars.
I repect the opinions of people wo are 'pro-choice' and recognise that this is an issue where people rarely change their views and have strong viewpoints.
It also angers me that a 'pro-life' stance is always associated with being a right-wing kook who hates women.
Also:

First, I don't think anyone would argue that a foetus is not human, it is by the definition of its genes, human. The question is when a life becomes a "person" which is a very complex argument.

I come from a pro choice perspective. My first point being that a woman/mothers current existing life is more important and valuable than a potential life that is inside her.
Many pro life say that a foetus is a person upon conception... but this in itself is unclear. When does conception occur? When the sperm fertilises the egg? When that begins to divide? When that attatches itself to the uterine wall? Bearing that in mind, where does the morning after pill come in this debate? Is it a form of abortion since it may or may not be terminating an unknown life concieved hours before.

I think judging that abortion is wrong in cases of rape is questionable by anyone who has not experienced rape. Perhaps more so by men. People who have never been raped would have no idea what that would be like, what the consequences are emotionally and mentally of the assault itself, let alone being constantly reminded of it for the next nine months. After an experience like that I think it is impossible to make a clearly judged decision based on ethics. The trauma would make most women want to end such a pregnancy and no alternative pressure should be put on them at that time.

I think saying that abortion is equal to the holocaust and hiroshima/nagosaki is a gross exaggeration. You simply cannot equate the long term irrepairable suffering and deaths of thousands of established lives with the lives of foetuses with only potential lives and without the consciousness or development to suffer pain. If you really did think that abortion was that bad, you would want it illegal.

The one thing I do agree with you on... even if a little contradictory on your side, is that abortion cannot be illegalised because it would still happen, and would you rather legal, safe abortions or illegal, unhealthy, unsafe abortions which put the womans life at risk
Original post by Kabloomybuzz
First, I don't think anyone would argue that a foetus is not human, it is by the definition of its genes, human. The question is when a life becomes a "person" which is a very complex argument.

I come from a pro choice perspective. My first point being that a woman/mothers current existing life is more important and valuable than a potential life that is inside her.
Many pro life say that a foetus is a person upon conception... but this in itself is unclear. When does conception occur? When the sperm fertilises the egg? When that begins to divide? When that attatches itself to the uterine wall? Bearing that in mind, where does the morning after pill come in this debate? Is it a form of abortion since it may or may not be terminating an unknown life concieved hours before.

I think judging that abortion is wrong in cases of rape is questionable by anyone who has not experienced rape. Perhaps more so by men. People who have never been raped would have no idea what that would be like, what the consequences are emotionally and mentally of the assault itself, let alone being constantly reminded of it for the next nine months. After an experience like that I think it is impossible to make a clearly judged decision based on ethics. The trauma would make most women want to end such a pregnancy and no alternative pressure should be put on them at that time.

I think saying that abortion is equal to the holocaust and hiroshima/nagosaki is a gross exaggeration. You simply cannot equate the long term irrepairable suffering and deaths of thousands of established lives with the lives of foetuses with only potential lives and without the consciousness or development to suffer pain. If you really did think that abortion was that bad, you would want it illegal.

The one thing I do agree with you on... even if a little contradictory on your side, is that abortion cannot be illegalised because it would still happen, and would you rather legal, safe abortions or illegal, unhealthy, unsafe abortions which put the womans life at risk

I disagree with most of what you have said. The trauma experienced by rape victims is outweighed by the fact that abortion is actually murder, so I don't aknowledge arguments along the lines of 'you have never been raped...' etc.
I disagree with most of what you have said. The trauma experienced by rape victims is outweighed by the fact that abortion is actually murder, so I don't aknowledge arguments along the lines of 'you have never been raped...' etc.

Er, no, it isn't murder, it is the termination of a potential life. Essentially a bundle of cells. Murder is the deliberate and malicious killing of a fully formed person.

Is the rape point the only one you'd like to pick up on? I'd be interested to hear your views on the morning after pill and the value and health (mental and physical) of a fully grown, self conscious woman compared to a bundle of cells, meaning that the trauma experienced in rape outweighs ending the life of a bundle of cells that has no developed nervous system, no self consciousness and therefore no concept of life.

Also, why is abortion worse than say, killing an animal?
What are your thoughts on IVF where several eggs are fertilised but only a couple implanted
When does conception occur?

I think that you, along with most pro lifers, grossly oversimplify the issue.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 25
Er, no, it isn't murder, it is the termination of a potential life. Essentially a bundle of cells. Murder is the deliberate and malicious killing of a fully formed person.

So the killing of an infant isn't murder. They aren't 'fully formed'.

Conception is the fusion of gametes to create a new organism.

What qualities do you think make someone a person?
Original post by orcprocess
So the killing of an infant isn't murder. They aren't 'fully formed'.

An infant has a fully developed central nervous system and can feel pain, among other complex sensations, they are fully developed enough to survive without having to rely soley on another persons body (note, the word body, not another person)

Conception is the fusion of gametes to create a new organism.

What qualities do you think make someone a person?

Just because an egg has been fertilised, it doesn't mean that a pregnancy will go on or that this "life" will continue to develop. And I ask again, based on this, your thoughts on the morning after pill. Is it the same as abortion?

As for what qualities make a person, see above point about my thoughts on fully developed. based on this I am against abortion past the stage that the baby could survive without relying completely on another body.
Reply 27
Original post by ScheduleII
That every woman who is pregnant has an absolute duty to carry the baby to term; aborting is unjustifiable killing.

What if she was raped? :angry:

EDIT: Why the neg rep, it happens in reality..
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 28
An infant has a fully developed central nervous system and can feel pain, among other complex sensations, they are fully developed enough to survive without having to rely soley on another persons body (note, the word body, not another person)

As for what qualities make a person, see above point about my thoughts on fully developed. based on this I am against abortion past the stage that the baby could survive without relying completely on another body.

What is the moral difference between having to rely on a body compared to having to rely on a person?

As for the idea of pain it would seem we would have to include vast swathes of animals as people.

Just because an egg has been fertilised, it doesn't mean that a pregnancy will go on or that this "life" will continue to develop. And I ask again, based on this, your thoughts on the morning after pill. Is it the same as abortion?

I don't really know enough about it. A cursory glance at Wikipedia didn't help either...
Reply 29
Original post by Tom26070

It would hardly be the foetus' fault then would it?

Personally I'm not sure on abortion.
Reply 30
Original post by orcprocess
It would hardly be the foetus' fault then would it?

Personally I'm not sure on abortion.

I'm not saying it is the foetus' fault. It shouldn't become the woman's duty if she was raped.
Reply 31
Original post by JohnC2211
Pro-life is a stupid name. Just because you're for abortion doesn't mean you're anti-life.

No, but you're anti-right to life.
Reply 32
I'm not saying it is the foetus' fault. It shouldn't become the woman's duty if she was raped.

You generally have to provide reasons...

Is the rape point the only one you'd like to pick up on? I'd be interested to hear your views on the morning after pill and the value and health (mental and physical) of a fully grown, self conscious woman compared to a bundle of cells, meaning that the trauma experienced in rape outweighs ending the life of a bundle of cells that has no developed nervous system, no self consciousness and therefore no concept of life.

What are your thoughts on IVF where several eggs are fertilised but only a couple implanted

I am against the morning after pill. Just am.
It is worse than killing an animal (although I disagree with that too) because humans have more rights than animals and I believe that foetuses are humans. Most of my opinions on these issues locigally follow from my opinion that a foetus has the same rights as a human being.
The comfort of one human being is not worth the life of another, for example. Once you understand my viewpoint on what a foetus is, all of my other viewpoints can be deduced.
I am a bit indifferent towards IVF. The spare embryos are (I think) used in stem cell research, so you have to factor in whether it is for the greater good of humanity or not to use these embryos for research. I personally believe it is, but my main objection to stem cell research is the fact that it discriminates against certain people (i.e. certain embryos must die for the greater good). If it harmed everyone equally, then I would definitely support it. I don't like the idea of IVF though because our population is too big as it is, surely it is a blessing that some people have fertility problems.
BTW everyones definition of murder in this context is different, you have to respect other people's viewpoints.

EDIT: Why the neg rep, it happens in reality..

How would that change anything? :confused:
If abortion is murder, then it is still wrong even though it would bring comfort and relief to the mother.
Reply 35
I have joined as a moderate pro-lifer. I'm not adverse to termination in the extremely early stages (morning after pill, other emergency contraception etc). My main objection to the current legal status of abortion is the time limit it is currently set at: 24 weeks seems far too late to me, and I would prefer to see this brought down to somewhere around the 12 week mark.
Reply 36
How would that change anything? :confused:
If abortion is murder, then it is still wrong even though it would bring comfort and relief to the mother.

Hmmm I suppose, it's up to the mother at the end of the day.
Reply 37
Hmmm I suppose, it's up to the mother at the end of the day.

Why?
Original post by plimsolls
I can't wait to see what the ratio of males to females is in that Soc.

Edit: Even better than I expected. Keep it up, guys.

I'm a guy and I used to be for it. I turned against because largely because of the perceived nature that abortion was being used as a form of "contraception", bodily sovereignty is only championed for women in the abortion context and nowhere else (for example, a woman cannot have a tattoo until 18 or consume cannabis at all), and the fact that men who do not wish to be parents are forced to pay for their upkeep. There is nothing wrong with men having an option of waiving their financial responsibility if they did not want the child and the mother does. As a rule, I do not bother getting involved with sexual relationships of the opposite sex so I avoid a potential moral dilemma if this is to occur. Besides, women don't work in the exact area where I'll be applying so it's good practice. :smile:

You bring an interesting point with killing animals and that's partly why I'm vegan. My brother's dog is more conscious than some mentally ill people. This is why I have questioned the merits of animal testing when compared to human testing.
Reply 39
Whoa, at last some replies!

Okay then. I simply believe that foetuses are alive and are 'humans'. Therefore, it naturally follows that it is wrong to abort foetuses, even if the mother was raped or had a malfuntioning condom or whatever. I do however believe that if the foetus is unlikely to survive and the mother's life would be put in danger by going ahead with the birth (the doctor would have to scrutinise the probabilities very carefully to decide the best course of action) then abortion woud be acceptable (perhaps compulsory). I am against making abortion illegal as that would not stop it from happening (same with drugs, prostitution etc.), but believe in increasing public awareness about just how 'alive' foetuses are and more sex education at a much younger age than it is provided currently.
Abortion is a big issue for me because I just think it is a social atrocity on the same scale as the holocaust and the bombings of Hiroshima/Nagasaki and all wars.
I repect the opinions of people wo are 'pro-choice' and recognise that this is an issue where people rarely change their views and have strong viewpoints.
It also angers me that a 'pro-life' stance is always associated with being a right-wing kook who hates women.
Also:

It is just a bloody name, get over it.

That is your opinion, so whatever. I don't believe that it is like chopping off a leg or whatever and that is the fundamental (and I would argue only) difference between our viewpoints. If you believed a foetus was a human being, then you would be pro-life would you not? (I am speaking hypothetically, so don't respond by saying '...but I don't')

my education on this matter started in year 5 so 10ish. This was at a state primary school. I don't think introducing it any earlier would be useful.

And not necessarily a brain dead person is a human being but I have no objection to their life support being turned off. being a "human being" isn't what I would say is the requirements to having the right to life but rather a working brain and a conciousness.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending