The Student Room Group

EMA

I was reading this story about the EMA and I have to say it still strikes me as strange that the EMA exists at all.

The EMA wasn't available to anyone when I went to sixth form. I think it was introduced a year or two after I went or something, and I remember at the time, everyone was saying "why are you paying people to go to school?!". But it was introduced anyhow. Anyway now that it's being reduced, everyone is moaning about how unfair it is to all the unfortunate sixth formers who won't get it. Apparently they can't afford to eat.

When I was at school I had part time jobs. They were rubbish, often demeaning jobs, but they enabled me to pay my way. First I had a paper round when I was too young to get any other job. Then I worked in a fish and chip shop as a spud boy. Then I worked in a call centre listening to people hurl abuse down the phone at me. It sucked, but it was necessary. Now the thing is, this was perfectly normal - the VAST majority of my friends all had part time jobs. The ones who didn't just never had any money at all - I didn't know any rich people. These days though, it seems that all the schoolkids just want the government to hand money to them for the sake of going to school. Doesn't this strike anyone as strange? Especially considering all the animosity that is so often directed at benefits scroungers.

At a time when the government is having to make damaging cuts to vital services, why are they still paying kids to go to school rather than telling them to go and peel potatoes in a chippy?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Chwirkytheappleboy

When I was at school I had part time jobs.

And when I was at school, the year EMA came in, there were no jobs.

There's your answer.
EMA is for those people who have low income home lives- not just for scroungers. Granted, some people don't need it just to survive, especially those who have part-time jobs ,however, unfortunately some people do rely heavily on the funding in order to complete their education. The government has already made cuts to EMA which has hit some people pretty hard- there would have been complete outrage had they decided to scrap it all together. I don't deny that some people recieve it when they don't need it but for those who do, it is vital.
EMA wasn't designed to pay people to stay in education, it was designed to help cover costs such as travel expenses and stationary equipment. Sure, people used and abused it using it as disposable income, but I'm sure the majority used it for its proper purpose because their parents couldn't afford to pay the bus/train fare.
Original post by Ilovewashingup
EMA is for those people who have low income home lives- not just for scroungers.

I'm not saying that there aren't people who come from low-income homes. Pretty much everyone in my school would have fallen into that bracket. I'm asking why they don't get part time jobs like we used to back in the day
Reply 5
I didnt revieve EMA my Dad was made redundant my first yr of sixth form cutting our household income to ero I still didnt get it as its based of previous tax years.

So I got a part time job at woolworth and lost my job when it all went bust of course! There simply arnt the jobs out there for everyone unfortunatly. I had a friend who seriously relied on it and used it to help contribute to her and her mums food shopping, her mum was a pensioner with seriously health problems who couldnt drive very well at all, and the only buses that ran to their tiny village were school buses and one other bus a day making getting a job (one that would fit around education impossible.
On the other hand someone who lives in a town or city where there are many places of employment accessible would have an easier time of it, that wasn't the case in my rural area.

Like all things EMA is a scheme that is one size fits all, for many its abused and no more then 'pocket money' while for many more its a means of survival for them to continue their education. Its a tricky one because like many things in life there's no perfect answer that fits everyone
why are they still paying kids to go to school ?

They're not. Anyone who started sixth form in September 2011 (i.e in year 12 or below now) doesnt get anything.
I'm not saying that there aren't people who come from low-income homes. Pretty much everyone in my school would have fallen into that bracket. I'm asking why they don't get part time jobs like we used to back in the day

The issue is that there aren't as many part time jobs these days- youth unemployment has soared in recent years. EMA offers a lifeline for those who are struggling to find jobs.
Reply 8
Original post by SpicyStrawberry
EMA wasn't designed to pay people to stay in education, it was designed to help cover costs such as travel expenses and stationary equipment. Sure, people used and abused it using it as disposable income, but I'm sure the majority used it for its proper purpose because their parents couldn't afford to pay the bus/train fare.

Don't be so naive. Did you not have EMA when you were at school? In my experience, I don't know anyone, anyone, that used it properly. EMA just bought booze, clothes and various leisure items.

Majority of my friends stayed on at school purely because they could get free money. That keeps them from being unemployed and claiming JSA. Win-win for everyone; government pays out less money than it would for JSA, kids can gain more qualifications and buy some awesome video games. Unemployment figures would've also been lowered upon the first 2 years of its introduction as less people'd leave school then.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by sunny_veggies
They're not. Anyone who started sixth form in September 2011 (i.e in year 12 or below now) doesnt get anything.

Don't colleges have a certain amount of funding to give to people with low-income households?
I know since EMA has been stopped people could apply to the funds, also get help with meals and travel in the form of vouchers. I think it's a much better system now.
Original post by Barden
And when I was at school, the year EMA came in, there were no jobs.

I had to look hard for my jobs too. They weren't advertised, you had to walk into every shop with your tail between your legs and ask, only for most people to turn you away. I guess there's not much motivation to look hard when the government is handing you the money you need though, and the only place willing to give you a job is paying a whopping £3 an hour (yes that was my salary in the chippy - there was no minimum wage for under 18s at the time)

Original post by pinkmeerkat
I didnt revieve EMA my Dad was made redundant my first yr of sixth form cutting our household income to ero I still didnt get it as its based of previous tax years.

So I got a part time job at woolworth and lost my job when it all went bust of course! There simply arnt the jobs out there for everyone unfortunatly. I had a friend who seriously relied on it and used it to help contribute to her and her mums food shopping, her mum was a pensioner with seriously health problems who couldnt drive very well at all, and the only buses that ran to their tiny village were school buses and one other bus a day making getting a job (one that would fit around education impossible.
On the other hand someone who lives in a town or city where there are many places of employment accessible would have an easier time of it, that wasn't the case in my rural area.

Like all things EMA is a scheme that is one size fits all, for many its abused and no more then 'pocket money' while for many more its a means of survival for them to continue their education. Its a tricky one because like many things in life there's no perfect answer that fits everyone

Your circumstances were certainly difficult and I would definitely agree that you needed support, but that should have come from other targetted benefits such as incapacity etc. EMA is a separate issue. Still, you do raise a valid point about the availability of work in rural areas after the one employer goes out of business. I wouldn't have a problem with case-by-case support for those with very little choice

Original post by sunny_veggies

My understanding was that there is a replacement Bursary Fund which is less widely available
Original post by xDave-
Don't be so naive. Did you not have EMA when you were at school? In my experience, I don't know anyone, anyone, that used it properly. EMA just bought booze, clothes and various leisure items.

Majority of my friends stayed on at school purely because they could get free money. That keeps them from being unemployed and claiming JSA. Win-win for everyone; government pays out less money than it would for JSA, kids can gain more qualifications and buy some awesome video games. Unemployment figures would've also been lowered upon the first 2 years of it's introduction as less people'd leave school then.

Yes, I did, and I and the majority of my friends used it for travel expenses because we couldn't ask our parents to shell out for us and there were no jobs suitable for the hours I worked at college.

Good for you that you didn't know anyone that used it for its proper purpose, you probably shared a college with scroungers and that's too bad, but do not assume to apply this to everyone who received EMA because you're simply wrong.
If graduates and people who have recently been made redundant are struggling, what makes you think employers are going to take on a sixth form student?

there really arnt any jobs for us out there.. unless you are fortunate enough to live in a city.

i never qualified for ema but my parents don't give me money for going out ect. so id love a job, iv applied to about 5 in the last 2 weeks and heard nothing back!
Reply 14
Good for you that you didn't know anyone that used it for its proper purpose, you probably shared a college with scroungers and that's too bad, but do not assume to apply this to everyone who received EMA because you're simply wrong.

I didn't apply what I said to everyone and I don't assume that. I have no doubt whatsoever that there are many people that need it and rightfully so.

However, I know from first hand experience, and not just from that, that the system poorly targets people and shells out large sums of money to people who don't need it. That money is then, unsurprisingly, abused. I'm sure everyone recognises this, including the government. So why don't they do anything about it? Because EMA pays far less than JSA, and in this financial climate you're going to have a lot of school leavers that just end up having to sign on to that. I also know that from first hand experience.

It's naive to say that it's used properly by the majority and naive to say the government aren't paying people to stay off JSA.
Original post by Ohlavelle
I know since EMA has been stopped people could apply to the funds, also get help with meals and travel in the form of vouchers.

My understanding was that there is a replacement Bursary Fund which is less widely available

Yes you can apply straight to the funds but very few people get this and, in many cases I have seen, they never give the correct amount.
Also they will mainly only fund bus fares. Which is no use to many, they wont fund things like text books, stationary or trips.

And they did not make any effort to inform us of this fund either. IMO they should keep their fund and provide us with the neccessary stationary/text books rather than provide bus funds for people who could easily walk or get a lift in.
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
If graduates and people who have recently been made redundant are struggling, what makes you think employers are going to take on a sixth form student?

It's so much cheaper and simpler to take on a sixth form student. For a start, graduates are looking for full time jobs with decent wages, benefits and a pension, and the employer has to pay National Insurance and administer their Income Tax. A school student is looking for a few hours work in the evening or at the weekend, would expect no benefits on top of the few quid an hour you pay them, and will usually earn less than the NI and Income Tax thresholds. Hiring a full time employee costs loads and has a lot of administration involved. Hiring a student for a few hours a week costs barely anything
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 17

Certainly not at my school!!!
I was reading this story about the EMA and I have to say it still strikes me as strange that the EMA exists at all.

The EMA wasn't available to anyone when I went to sixth form. I think it was introduced a year or two after I went or something, and I remember at the time, everyone was saying "why are you paying people to go to school?!". But it was introduced anyhow. Anyway now that it's being reduced, everyone is moaning about how unfair it is to all the unfortunate sixth formers who won't get it. Apparently they can't afford to eat.

When I was at school I had part time jobs. They were rubbish, often demeaning jobs, but they enabled me to pay my way. First I had a paper round when I was too young to get any other job. Then I worked in a fish and chip shop as a spud boy. Then I worked in a call centre listening to people hurl abuse down the phone at me. It sucked, but it was necessary. Now the thing is, this was perfectly normal - the VAST majority of my friends all had part time jobs. The ones who didn't just never had any money at all - I didn't know any rich people. These days though, it seems that all the schoolkids just want the government to hand money to them for the sake of going to school. Doesn't this strike anyone as strange? Especially considering all the animosity that is so often directed at benefits scroungers.

At a time when the government is having to make damaging cuts to vital services, why are they still paying kids to go to school rather than telling them to go and peel potatoes in a chippy?

It isn't as easy as "get a job". If you haven't noticed, right now we have a massive shortage of jobs. Even graduates are struggling to find ANYTHING. In some areas, people who are in sixth form have no chance unless their parents or someone they know can get them in somewhere.
Reply 19
I understand the idea behind EMA and think it's fair enough but the means testing used to decide who gets it should be far more strict.

A large proportion of the people I know who get EMA live with one parent so they qualify due to a low household income, but they still get money from both parents, often more than if their parents were together.

Even people whose families earn very little still spend it on things for themselves like clothes, games, DVDs, phones etc. rather than using it to fund their education or replace the money that is lost from the family's income by them not having a job - clearly they don't really need it.

The way it currently works (for people who got £30 last year so now get £20) is ridiculous. They better not bring it back.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending