The Student Room Group

LSE postgrad applicants 2012-13

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rex Regis
Dude, a 3.67 GPA is excellent - you are in the top 10%. TSR is not a representative sample of the average applicant. Good luck!

Indeed, sometimes people tend to forget that TSR is not a representative sample of the average applicant, +1
Hi Everyone,

I've received an offer for a place on the Msc in Regulation (Research) at the LSE. I'm hoping to get ESRC funding, 1+3, with a progression onto a PHD at the end of the one year masters. If I do not get this funding, I will not be able to go.

There is a problem though. Although I ticked the form to be considered for ESRC funding, attached a research proposal, and made it explicit that I wanted the funding and intended to do a PHD, someone has told me that I should have also applied for the PHD. I am worried as I just applied for the Msc, thinking that if funding was given, then I would progress onto the PHD as a matter of course.

Here is a description of the process of applying for funding, from the LSE website: "If you wish to be considered for a 1+3 or 2+2 programme - i.e. MRes/PhD or MSc (Research)/PhD, you must include with your application an outline research proposal. This proposal should be a brief description of the research topic you are considering pursuing during your PhD and should explain why you are interested in this area of research. As your research interests will develop over the year of your Master's training your proposal need only be indicative. Applications for MSc (Research) programmes received without this outline research proposal will be considered for the MSc programme only and not the PhD portion."

Am I eligible for the funding?
Reply 1382
Original post by Deus_Ex_Machina
Hi Everyone,

I've received an offer for a place on the Msc in Regulation (Research) at the LSE. I'm hoping to get ESRC funding, 1+3, with a progression onto a PHD at the end of the one year masters. If I do not get this funding, I will not be able to go.

There is a problem though. Although I ticked the form to be considered for ESRC funding, attached a research proposal, and made it explicit that I wanted the funding and intended to do a PHD, someone has told me that I should have also applied for the PHD. I am worried as I just applied for the Msc, thinking that if funding was given, then I would progress onto the PHD as a matter of course.

Here is a description of the process of applying for funding, from the LSE website: "If you wish to be considered for a 1+3 or 2+2 programme - i.e. MRes/PhD or MSc (Research)/PhD, you must include with your application an outline research proposal. This proposal should be a brief description of the research topic you are considering pursuing during your PhD and should explain why you are interested in this area of research. As your research interests will develop over the year of your Master's training your proposal need only be indicative. Applications for MSc (Research) programmes received without this outline research proposal will be considered for the MSc programme only and not the PhD portion."

Am I eligible for the funding?

why dont you call the LSE? they can give you a definite answer (i think it should be right to apply for the MSc (research) but i cannot guarantee)
Reply 1383
Hi Everyone,

I'm a MSc Economics (Research) applicant in my 10th week of wait after the fourth email. Is anyone also applying for this program or have any news on results (for both the Research or regular programs)?

Many Thanks
Reply 1384
Hi everyone! I just now got an offer for the MPA Public and Economic Policy program! I'M SO SO EXCITED! And the offer was only 4 weeks after the 4th email...

Anyone else in the same program??
Reply 1385
Hallo all!=]

I would like to submit a new personal statement and just want to know whether the course selector is still able to see the previous one? Do I have to tell the admission to delete the old one?

Any help would be appreciated!
Reply 1386
Original post by kaitlyne
Hi everyone! I just now got an offer for the MPA Public and Economic Policy program! I'M SO SO EXCITED! And the offer was only 4 weeks after the 4th email...

Anyone else in the same program??

Fantastic news

Could I ask about your academic background, such as grades etc? We seem to have similar profiles haha.
Reply 1387
Original post by stamst
Fantastic news

Could I ask about your academic background, such as grades etc? We seem to have similar profiles haha.

Haha thanks! Well, I'm graduating in May with a BA in Political Science & Spanish Studies (double major). My GPA (as of now) is 3.75/4. I've held internships every semester at AU and currently work at a non-profit doing research on tax/regulatory policy.

I'm truly surprised that I got in! I thought my GPA was not going to cut it...but I guess it all worked out!

Good luck with your app!! Hopefully you hear back soon...
Reply 1388
Original post by Spairos
Nice, I see! Well if you don't see any change in LSE for you (about the GPA thing) then you should call them again.

Thank you, I wish to see you to LSE too :wink:
Although I don't know which university to attend yet...
I have offers (MSc Statistics) from Imperial, LSE, Warwick, Lancaster
and waiting for decisions from UCL, Oxbridge
I don't know which is the best suited program for me

Wow! Having options's nice, good luck with the rest, things must work out for you! At my end, I applied only to LSE believe me or not... Btw an e-mail from LSE again got to me and now I know what exactly they ask for. My uni will get it ready by Friday and I'll submit it afterwards. Hope it's not too late. Have nooo idea if they wait for me or take in somebody else in the meantime:frown: Cheers!
Reply 1389
Original post by Rex Regis
Dude, a 3.67 GPA is excellent - you are in the top 10%. TSR is not a representative sample of the average applicant. Good luck!

Hi Rex thanks you've made my day! Best luck with yours too if you are still waiting for replies!
Reply 1390
Original post by Wei
Hallo all!=]

I would like to submit a new personal statement and just want to know whether the course selector is still able to see the previous one? Do I have to tell the admission to delete the old one?

Any help would be appreciated!

Hi Wei,

I would assume that, if you have submitted your application and all additional info (e.g. references), you will have to inform admissions - since they may have already looked at your previous statement. I suggest you just give them a call to find out, I am certain that they will give you a clear answer, they tend to be very nice :smile:
Original post by Reir1010
Wow! Having options's nice, good luck with the rest, things must work out for you! At my end, I applied only to LSE believe me or not... Btw an e-mail from LSE again got to me and now I know what exactly they ask for. My uni will get it ready by Friday and I'll submit it afterwards. Hope it's not too late. Have nooo idea if they wait for me or take in somebody else in the meantime:frown: Cheers!

You still have reasonable time and reasonable chances.
However why don't you consider applying to other unis as well?
Reply 1392
Original post by st_pg
Hi Wei,

I would assume that, if you have submitted your application and all additional info (e.g. references), you will have to inform admissions - since they may have already looked at your previous statement. I suggest you just give them a call to find out, I am certain that they will give you a clear answer, they tend to be very nice :smile:

Thanks for your advice.=] I'm gonna give them a call. Last time when I called during their office hour, the only respond was" the office is currently closed".

Anyways, will try later=]
Reply 1393
Haha thanks! Well, I'm graduating in May with a BA in Political Science & Spanish Studies (double major). My GPA (as of now) is 3.75/4. I've held internships every semester at AU and currently work at a non-profit doing research on tax/regulatory policy.

I'm truly surprised that I got in! I thought my GPA was not going to cut it...but I guess it all worked out!

Good luck with your app!! Hopefully you hear back soon...

Nah you had nothing to worry about, your GPA is fine. It's significantly higher than mine, although I'm not applying for the MPA program so hopefully it wil be a bit easier.
I GOT INTO LSE!!!!! Just received my offer for msc. city design and social science.
Original post by Soft Metals
I GOT INTO LSE!!!!! Just received my offer for msc. city design and social science.

Congratulations, the best is about to come XD
Reply 1396
Anyone else got onto the MSc in Management (including CEMS) - 2 year programme? :biggrin:
Reply 1397
Original post by Reir1010

I applied only to LSE either. (I just still believe in miracles.)
Good luck with your application!!!

Oh, come on now, 3.75 is a perfectly fine GPA.
Believe it or not there were people here who wanted to apply to LSE with .. 2.8 GPA! And when I told them they do not stand a chance I was booed for being "too negative" :biggrin:
Reply 1399
I would say it is worth applying if your GPA is above 3.5 and can secure some strong references.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending