The Student Room Group

Peninsula Medical School Applicants thread 2012 entry.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by joemullally
Right then my lovelies.
Phoned Peninsula this morning, they explained to me how the waiting list works.
This year the cut off for an offer is 20.55
If not enough people score >20.55 to meet the quota (so that they'll have a full first year) then they'll rank the people underneath. (those on the waiting list are those just underneath)
She said the scores would go down like this.
etc (i don't know how the 19.33 thing works it just struck me as slightly odd, maybee because a 3 person panel and the averages etc etc)
Also, they're having a meeting this week or next week (can't remember which) and will be deciding how to allocate the rest of their offers (e.g. if they have too many with the same score new cut off then they'll knock us off against each other mortal combat style or something (or using that handy little form we filled in or ps or something else).
people should be hearing the week after next week.
So hopefully this is usefull information for people and I thought i'd share.
e2: Oh and there's 56 on the waiting list.

This is really helpful thank u :biggrin:
Reply 1241
Original post by joemullally
Right then my lovelies.
Phoned Peninsula this morning, they explained to me how the waiting list works.
This year the cut off for an offer is 20.55
If not enough people score >20.55 to meet the quota (so that they'll have a full first year) then they'll rank the people underneath. (those on the waiting list are those just underneath)
She said the scores would go down like this.
etc (i don't know how the 19.33 thing works it just struck me as slightly odd, maybee because a 3 person panel and the averages etc etc)
Also, they're having a meeting this week or next week (can't remember which) and will be deciding how to allocate the rest of their offers (e.g. if they have too many with the same score new cut off then they'll knock us off against each other mortal combat style or something (or using that handy little form we filled in or ps or something else).
people should be hearing the week after next week.
So hopefully this is usefull information for people and I thought i'd share.
e2: Oh and there's 56 on the waiting list.

That's really useful. I found these when I got bored and had a browse in last year's thread.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1376989&page=58&p=30038081#post30038081

Is it possible they just rank on interview performance?
Reply 1242
Original post by Iepnauy
That's really useful. I found these when I got bored and had a browse in last year's thread.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1376989&page=58&p=30038081#post30038081

I think there is some truth in that. Getting an interview is the Grail. After that I think the interview performance is only what matters unless there is a tie-break situation when the pre - interview questionnaire etc may be taken into account. Also they will be getting decisions in from people who are firming /insurance/ turning them down so will have a better idea of how may spaces are available.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Iepnauy

It is ranked on interview performance, but for those whose interview score is the same, the Questionnaire and PS may be used to differentiate candidates.

e.g Of the 56 people on the waiting list, if 20 places arise and 25 people scored 20.5, then the questionnaire and possible Ps will be used to select the top 20 people from those 25.
Does anyone from last years intake know how many applicants, or indeed if any applicants got a place after being on the waiting list/on hold ?

There seems to be no mention of anyone getting an "on hold" offer on last years TSR.

Thanks
Reply 1245
Had an interview at Peninsula today, thought the format was terrible. Everything feels scripted (because it is) and doesn't allow you to build up any repor with the interviewers or allow the conversation (or lack of) to flow. Plus the day was poorly organised, loads of waiting, little information and nowhere to wait. I've already got offers from King's and Bristol and interviewed at BSMS recently. Regardless of their reply i've been put off Peninsula completely.
Reply 1246
Original post by DocR
Had an interview at Peninsula today, thought the format was terrible. Everything feels scripted (because it is) and doesn't allow you to build up any repor with the interviewers or allow the conversation (or lack of) to flow. Plus the day was poorly organised, loads of waiting, little information and nowhere to wait. I've already got offers from King's and Bristol and interviewed at BSMS recently. Regardless of their reply i've been put off Peninsula completely.

If you don't mind me asking, were you interviewed at Exeter or Plymouth?
Reply 1247
Original post by DocR

Did you have a morning or afternoon interview ? I had mine today at Exeter and I didn't find it as bad :s-smilie:
Reply 1248
Original post by myyrh
Did you have a morning or afternoon interview ? I had mine today at Exeter and I didn't find it as bad :s-smilie:

Are you allowed to wander off after you've signed in? I have to arrive at 12:00-ish?, but my interview's at 16:00 O_o". I have no idea what I'm going to be doing for 4 hours apart from stressing out.
Reply 1249
Original post by Iepnauy
Are you allowed to wander off after you've signed in? I have to arrive at 12:00-ish?, but my interview's at 16:00 O_o". I have no idea what I'm going to be doing for 4 hours apart from stressing out.

Wow that's unfortunate :redface: You have to stick around for the interview briefing but apart from that, you can wander off as long as you're back at 3:30 to be taken to fill out the questionnaire. Oh you could end up missing the tour so just double check the time of that as well before you run off :tongue:
Original post by DocR

Thoroughly agree. I was really upset to find that after all I did to make sure I arrived on time( stayed in Exeter the night before, got up early to get there at 12:00), they made me sit around for four and a half hours to wait for my interview. The whole process lacked any organisation whatsoever. And it did nothing to help my nerves.
Original post by DocR

It is unfortunate that you found the organisation poor, from my recollection the interview was very well organised (although mine was 3 years ago).

I do recognise that as the interviews are now held in Jury's Inn and the lack of a campus tour in Plymouth and i assume the same is reflected in exeter. Were the January interviews also held in Jury's Inn? This will have significantly reduced the perceived organisation of the day. Was there still a briefing upon arrival?

As to your comments on the "Scripted/Over structured nature of the interviews" the interviews are formatted in this way to allow for a more accurate and reliable objective measure of performance at interview which can better allow differentiation and direct comparison between applicants.

This increases the validity of the interviews and decreases performance bias.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by DocR

Completely disagree, I thought it was very well organised. The briefing just before the interview was really informative, literally exactly the questions I was asked. The interviewers were really friendly and the fact that it's scripted is way better, I've had other interviews where I've been asked extra questions that other people haven't been asked, that's hardly fair.

If you haven't performed as well as you want don't blame the interview format/university! :rolleyes:
I found the campus and surrounding area quite underwhelming.

Although I am happy the interview was structured the way it was. As someone's already mentioned, in other interviews I've had everyone ends up being asked different questions that vary in their degree of difficulty.
I had my interview in December and i thought the interview was great. Gave you plenty of time to answer and it didnt feel pushed at all. I have recieved an offer and i have just firmed today so Peninsula for me! Yay! It just seems really down to earth and fair :smile:
Reply 1255
I had an interview Tuesday. I must say I can't understand the hate, it does seem very different to all the other medical schools i've seen, but no one forces you to apply there, at the end of the day everyone learns in different ways and if everywhere was the same we would end up with a pretty homologous group of medical professionals now, wouldn't we?

As for the organisation it seemed fine to me, the medical students and interviewers where really friendly, (even when i knocked my coke over in the waiting room) and although my interview was the last one and I can see the benefits of a non scripted interview, at some places its a lot more scripted and less friendly and i can understand why, for validity and comparability they do it as such. Also megga love for the students who sold me a pancake. :smile:

Personally I loved the place, it looks like it suits my style of learning and interests perfectly and really hope i get an offer now. fingers crossed :smile:
Reply 1256
Original post by delll
Does anyone know when the last of the interviews are?
And please post your thoughts on the interview. I am on the waiting list and currently hold no offers.

Thanks

Today was the last day of interview.
Reply 1257
Does anyone think it will make a difference when your interview came during the cycle ?

and Delll my opinion on the interview was that I loved the Ethical Scenarios, felt that the questionnaire needed more room and that it was otherwise a really friendly atmosphere despite the fact i realised half way though that i had turned the brightest shade of crimson :smile:
Reply 1258
The peninsula interview day was utter shambles.
Original post by OSharp
Does anyone think it will make a difference when your interview came during the cycle ?

and Delll my opinion on the interview was that I loved the Ethical Scenarios, felt that the questionnaire needed more room and that it was otherwise a really friendly atmosphere despite the fact i realised half way though that i had turned the brightest shade of crimson :smile:

i wouldnt worry when your interviewed it doesnt make a difference as they have a quota for how many applicants they will except for each interview day

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending