The Student Room Group

Vegetarians who eat fish are confused.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by biffyclyro27
Plants lack the brain and central nervous system which enables animals to feel pain, or feel anything at all. It's got nothing to do with the fact that they don't make any noise....

Go back and read my previous posts^

Also, the whole "it has neurons it must feel" thing is a serious philosophical topic. It's certainly not been proven that having neurons = feels pain. All science tells us is having neurons = responds to stimuli.
Original post by destroyerofsouls
Go back and read my previous posts^

Also, the whole "it has neurons it must feel" thing is a serious philosophical topic. It's certainly not been proven that having neurons = feels pain. All science tells us is having neurons = responds to stimuli.

Went back and read all your posts, didn't really explain anything further.

I remain sceptical that plants can feel pain without a brain, central nervous system and pain receptors. Sure, you can question the definition of pain and argue that plants responding to physical damage through the release of chemicals etc. could constitute as pain. However, plants absolutely do not feel pain in the same way that humans and animals do. It's unlikely that they feel pain at all IMO.

They're just responding to threats in order to survive, there is a difference.
Vegetarians who eat fish aren't true vegetarians - after all fish is a type of meat, sure as hell ain't a vegetable!

I think what vegetarians do is very noble and i respect their choice but i get a little annoyed when they act as if fish are mindless beings and its fine to eat them but nothing else and still call themselves vegetarian - hypocritical in my honest opinion.

I think the true definition of vegetarian are those who eat no meat whatsoever!

Anyway I'm biased towards my marine animals being a marine biology student :P
Original post by almasy
Eggs are full of potential chicken life, they have the nutrition for a healthy chicken to grow, the majority of us aren't french, we don't have the same nutritional requirements as chickens.
your logic is nearly as bad as people feeding babies cows milk!

We don't feed babies eggs either! But adult humans eat eggs and drink cow's milk.

I don't really understand your point tbh, because if an egg isn't fertilised it doesn't have the potential for a life.
Not being a vegetarian myself, and coming from a farming family, I find the whole idea of vegetarianism crazy! :wink:

I guess the difference between animals and fish is that (on the whole) fish are still 'hunted', so it's much more natural. The fish at least have a good chance of survival, as any animal in the wild does, whereas farmed cows, sheep, pigs etc are almost certain to end up on a plate...
Reply 225
Original post by hmon93
Of course :smile:

:biggrin:
Reply 226
Original post by inspiration91
But adult humans eat eggs and drink cow's milk.

Exactly, adult humans, because without the influence of society no baby would ever be stupid enough to think it should eat something that it's not designed for.

stick fruit and beef in front of a 6month old baby, see which one it goes for.
stick fruit and beef in front of a cat and see which one it goes for.

cat - carnivore - will eat the meat
human baby - frugivore - will eat the fruit.

this world is in a sorry state if babies are more capable of eating than adults...
Sometimes cutting out fish completely from your diet is not viable.

I live in a meat-eating household. My mother already complains about me not eating meat but forces me to eat fish, and whilst I live under her roof I have to comply, sadly. Because it is against my will, I consider myself vegetarian. If it was up to me I wouldn't eat it but I have to. It's not like I enjoy eating fish either.

And I don't care what any of you crazy-ass extremist vegetarians say. I'm sick of labelling anyway.
Original post by NDGAARONDI
Well, cats and dogs are not allowed to be killed for human consumption as far as I'm aware. But here is an article on bushmeat. And I'm sure there are animals that we used to eat that we no longer do, like squirrels. So may be this shows that humans are setting themselves apart from the rest of the animal kingdom, since I do not know of any other species that changes its food chain so often.

Cat and dog meat is eaten in Switzerland and South Korea, and whilst the latter is not a western country, their society and quality of life is broadly equivalent to that in which we live. Whilst I wouldn't like someone to eat my own pet cat, I have no objection to humans eating cat, just as many people with pet farm animals like chickens wouldn't like people eating their specific pets, but don't mind people eating chickens.

As for why humans changed their diets from food they farmed themselves to that farmed by others - it's partly to do with the massive population growth and when they started living in cities, which also brought technological advances in intensive farming and production, I touched on it a little bit previously, but to fully cover it would take a while.

It's probably also what enables humans to be so successful as a species.

Not immoral in itself but it can be an easy reason to justify societal actions or laws being passed in general but some people who do this tend to make exceptions when there is something they do not approve of. I was initially going to ask if you are for or against the death penalty. Last I've heard is that there is a slight majority of people against the death penalty but I have a feeling that this is only the case because our legislature abolished it for murder against the wishes of the public in 1957. Had abolition never taken place I wonder if we'd still have the death penalty, excluding transnational commitments.

Well, regarding the death penalty, those campaigning for its reintroduction are not in as small a minority as are those who object to using animals as food. In addition, the human race as a whole would not be affected to as great an extent by using the death penalty to do away with criminals - as they do in many countries - if you read post 187, I have explained in detail why the whole world becoming vegan would be a total fail.

And if you apply a variant of Kant's Categorical imperative - what's wrong for all, is wrong for one.

Well, the British media are known for vegaphobic abuse. And the fact that they report on stories of parents bringing up children on a poorly constructed diet is not in itself an issue I find. Just it would be nice to if they applied health 'concerns' to poor omnivore diets. This usually only happens when the people concerned a very morbidly obese. I'm a vegan and cardiovascular-wise I've passed Commando standards but I don't expect the newspapers to celebrate how amazingly healthy anyone can be if they followed a well planned quality vegan lifestyle.

Probably because of two factors - those who follow a vegan diet are in the minority and most vegan parents recognise that they won't be able to do it. Only when these parents are stupid enough to try to bring up their child on a strict vegan diet and inevitably fail, it is thus a rare and newsworthy occasion compared to the omnivorous majority. Secondly, it shows that it is a lot easier to screw up on a poorly constructed vegan diet than it is on a mixed diet where you don't really care about proportions and portions of what you eat.

One of the major arguments against veganism being a natural diet is that it is not possible to bring up a very young child in a vegan lifestyle.

As regards an omnivorous diet fail, this is getting into the man changing his food argument again, particularly when he eats foods with a lot of refined sugars - such as those we have in modern processed foods that man wouldn't have eaten thousands of years ago, but thats a long long discussion point.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Hellz_Bellz!

I live in a meat-eating household. My mother already complains about me not eating meat but forces me to eat fish, and whilst I live under her roof I have to comply, sadly. Because it is against my will, I consider myself vegetarian. If it was up to me I wouldn't eat it but I have to. It's not like I enjoy eating fish either.

And I don't care what any of you crazy-ass extremist vegetarians say. I'm sick of labelling anyway.

I think the point of the thread is to show that people like you are NOT vegetarians, and by virtue of eating fish you might as well eat meat also because morally your just like the rest of us meat-eating carnivores (forced or not).

In fact, if we scaled viewpoints up on a moral scale then i'd consider you to be lower than pure vegetarians and people who eat meat for the two simple facts that;

1. You eat an animal
2. You don't stand by your convictions and tell your mum to piss off

I mean, I get the whole "mum forcing me" issue because parents can be a bitch, but I just see how you are more moral than any meat eater :confused: At least some fat greasy McD junkie stands by his right and desire to be a McD junkie, clogging his arteries with such filth. You however believe that you should compromise your beliefs by giving into your mum's desire to eat fish.

Or are you coming from a taste perspective (rather than moral, the animal killing perspective)? If so, spit out your fish a few times and your mum will soon get the hint :wink:

I mean don't get me wrong, I don't want to give you any ideas but I think you pretty much sum up the whole purpose of this thread :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Stevo112
I think the point of the thread is to show that people like you are NOT vegetarians, and by virtue of eating fish you might as well eat meat also because morally your just like the rest of us meat-eating carnivores (forced or not).

In fact, if we scaled viewpoints up on a moral scale then i'd consider you to be lower than pure vegetarians and people who eat meat for the two simple facts that;

1. You eat an animal
2. You don't stand by your convictions and tell your mum to piss off

I mean, I get the whole "mum forcing me" issue because parents can be a bitch, but I just see how you are more moral than any meat eater :confused:

"People like you" - wow, talking to me like I'm a criminal? Thanks for saying I have no morals! I appreciate that.

I don't think it's any of your business whether I tell my mum to "piss off" or not. You sound like a spoilt brat with no respect for anyone but yourself. If I talked to my mother like that I'd be thrown out onto the streets.
Original post by almasy
Exactly, adult humans, because without the influence of society no baby would ever be stupid enough to think it should eat something that it's not designed for.

stick fruit and beef in front of a 6month old baby, see which one it goes for.
stick fruit and beef in front of a cat and see which one it goes for.

cat - carnivore - will eat the meat
human baby - frugivore - will eat the fruit.

this world is in a sorry state if babies are more capable of eating than adults...

Are you going to be one of those loony parents that we see on the news, ending up in prison, with their child ending up dead or malnourished because they think that babies only eat fruit?
(edited 12 years ago)
"People like you" - wow, talking to me like I'm a criminal? Thanks for saying I have no morals! I appreciate that.

I don't think it's any of your business whether I tell my mum to "piss off" or not. You sound like a spoilt brat with no respect for anyone but yourself. If I talked to my mother like that I'd be thrown out onto the streets.

yes, people like you who eat fish and call themselves a vegetarian. You eat a fish's urinary bladder for christ sake!!!! (not to mention the heart, lungs etc) :rolleyes:

Meh I wouldn't call you a person with no morals. I just think your highly incongrugent in your approach.... you presumably call yourself a vegetarian because you think it is morally wrong to eat animals (i'm all into this sort of thinking!!!) and yet you eat poor helpless fish.... You don't stand up for what you believe in lol

It isn't my business and I don't particularly care about you and your mum but if my mum told me that I couldn't be who I wanted to be (ie a vegetarian) and forced something on me then I would stand up for my own beliefs. Maybe your family dynamic is different so I can't really comment and certainly wouldn't want a young girl out on the streets :smile:

I have respect for a lot of people. It is mainly directed towards someone who stands by their own convictions. :redface:
Original post by Stevo112
yes, people like you who eat fish and call themselves a vegetarian. You eat a fish's urinary bladder for christ sake!!!! (not to mention the heart, lungs etc) :rolleyes:

Meh I wouldn't call you a person with no morals. I just think your highly incongrugent in your approach.... you presumably call yourself a vegetarian because you think it is morally wrong to eat animals (i'm all into this sort of thinking!!!) and yet you eat poor helpless fish.... You don't stand up for what you believe in lol

It isn't my business and I don't particularly care about you and your mum but if my mum told me that I couldn't be who I wanted to be (ie a vegetarian) and forced something on me then I would stand up for my own beliefs. Maybe your family dynamic is different so I can't really comment and certainly wouldn't want a young girl out on the streets :smile:

I have respect for a lot of people. It is mainly directed towards someone who stands by their own convictions. :redface:

I think it's a bit rich for someone to call someone else *incongruent when you don't know anything about their circumstances.

If you don't particularly care about my mother and myself then why bother arguing with me? I do not like vegetarians or vegans who try to make others feel inferior to them. And you seem to be one of them.

And with that I bid you good night.
Original post by biffyclyro27
Went back and read all your posts, didn't really explain anything further.

I remain sceptical that plants can feel pain without a brain, central nervous system and pain receptors. Sure, you can question the definition of pain and argue that plants responding to physical damage through the release of chemicals etc. could constitute as pain. However, plants absolutely do not feel pain in the same way that humans and animals do. It's unlikely that they feel pain at all IMO.

They're just responding to threats in order to survive, there is a difference.

What I put in bold is exactly what can be said for animals as well. All we can observe are physical responses - it is impossible to use the word "feels" with any accuracy. The reasons people differentiate between plants and animals as far as moral consideration is concerned are actually rather flawed.

Even if fish do "feel" pain (as if they were like little humans trapped in animal costumes), why should it bother you? Who cares about the fish? Why do they care about the fish? And why should you care that they care? Does it really matter that one highly organised blob of chemicals no longer moves about in the sea?
I think it's a bit rich for someone to call someone else *incongruent when you don't know anything about their circumstances.

If you don't particularly care about my mother and myself then why bother arguing with me? I do not like vegetarians or vegans who try to make others feel inferior to them. And you seem to be one of them.

And with that I bid you good night.

Your circumstances are clear; You are a vegetarian. You live in your mum's house. You eat fish bladders :rolleyes:

I'm not arguing, i'm just stating my opinion. It is up to you to decide whether you feel there is truth to it. You just got unlucky because your circumstances matched up to the whole argument of this thread (that fish are animals and thus your not vegetarian).

For the record, i'm just another carnivore :redface:

Forces? Does she hold your nose and shove salmon down your throat? :lolwut:

You also say you hate labelling, yet call yourself a vegetarian. I don't like labelling, either (I also don't like people who assume that all vegetarians are nutters who shove their opinions on others), but let's be honest here, you're not a vegetarian if you eat fish. If you don't want to eat fish, don't. Your mother can't dictate your eating habits for you.
Vegeterians who eat fish are not vegeterians. They might think they are, but they aren't.
Original post by jacketpotato
I agree with you. However, I would rather eat fish than pigs or chickens. Being reared in a battery cage is much worse than being raised in the ocean (salmon farms debatable), and chickens/pigs are much more intelligent than fish. For this reason I don't think its necessarily hypocritical for people to eat fish even though they won't eat other animals, it is perfectly possible for people to draw the line somewhere in between fish and chicken.

The fish thing me for me is a lot deeper than not eating it because of their intelligence. As a diver I love seeing fish underwater and interacting with them. It was this that made me realise their intelligence is far superior than the average person gives them credit for.

Also I know ALOT about the destructions currently happening to the oceans....fish simply cannot be farmed the same way as pigs/chickens.

So when they run out...they run out!

I also don't like the deaths of other marines mammals/life to catch the eatable fish. Such a waste of life :frown:

But..each to their own. I only get preachy like this on veggie threads :wink:
Reply 239
Original post by inspiration91
No they couldn't because hens are kept seperate. Trust me, when we eat eggs, they are NEVER fertilised! In some countries they do eat fertilised eggs I believe, but generally, the eggs we eat are not fertilised so could never harbour any life!

Ohhh okayy..yeah i googled it- and you're right. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest