The Student Room Group

A-Level Choices?

So I have to make my A-Level choices pretty soon and I wanted to get some opinions on the subjects and courses I was thinking about.

Politics - Edexcel
English Literature (Studied at GCSE, obviously)
Classical Civilisation (Studied at GCSE)
History (Studied at GCSE)

However, I know that doing 4 essay subjects would be so much work, and I was thinking about dropping either Classics or History for Art (WJEC - Not studied at GCSE). I'm not sure which one would be best to drop though.
I wasn't sure if it would be too hard to start Art (I'm not brilliant at drawing but I can make sculptures etc.)

Help me please? c:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yeah they're good...

...for a bin man!
Reply 2
Original post by bhogs001
Yeah they're good...

...for a bin man!

fabulous ok, but I was hoping to be something more like a casheir you know, high end stuff
Reply 3
Original post by felicitybee
fabulous ok, but I was hoping to be something more like a casheir you know, high end stuff

CASHIER not CASHEIR...

...and you are taking English Literature. Tut tut
Reply 4
I'm doing four essay based subjects aswell, maybe drop your least favourite one and replace it with a science or maths or something?
I would say art, but it is a very heavy work load and it might be a bit risky doing it for a level if you haven't done it at gcse. I would say keep history though, as its the most respected :smile:
Reply 5
CASHIER not CASHEIR...

...and you are taking English Literature. Tut tut

Hush hush, I'd rather get some proper responses to this thread if you don't mind.
Please take your internet 'trolling' elsewhere.
History and English Literature are great, stick with them.

Classics may be seen as a bit too similar to History so I'd suggest changing it. If you want to do art then do art.
Reply 7
Hush hush, I'd rather get some proper responses to this thread if you don't mind.
Please take your internet 'trolling' elsewhere.

OK. IMO, to be a cashIEr, isnt it good to have maths/economics?
Reply 8
Yeah they're good...

...for a bin man!

Haha great comment there
Reply 9
OK. IMO, to be a cashIEr, isnt it good to have maths/economics?

No, I decided I do want to be a bin man. Therefore I really should stick with the options I made before.
Reply 10
The name felecity is female though so how can you be a bin MAN
Reply 11
The name felecity is female though so how can you be a bin MAN

Looks like I'll have to get a sex change then
dammit
*Felicity
So I have to make my A-Level choices pretty soon and I wanted to get some opinions on the subjects and courses I was thinking about.

Politics - Edexcel

However, I know that doing 4 essay subjects would be so much work, and I was thinking about dropping either Classics or History for Art (WJEC - Not studied at GCSE). I'm not sure which one would be best to drop though.
I wasn't sure if it would be too hard to start Art (I'm not brilliant at drawing but I can make sculptures etc.)

Help me please? c:

Don't listen to any of the others those subjects sound great. Go for it!

Politics - Edexcel

Help me please? c:

I would defo not do art if you haven't done it for gcse. Unless your fantastic at essay writing and enjoy it I would certainly not do all the subjects you have listed. Universities like interesting combinations. Are you any good at science or maths? if you are I would consider doing either maths or biology a level. If your not good at science or maths I would look for a different non- essay based a level to give yourself more of a variety in a levels.
Hope this helps and good luck!
Reply 14

Politics - Edexcel

Help me please? c:

I am currently doing all of these but philosophy instead of classics which is my favourite subject, would recommend if your school does it

Politics edexcel is so so so so so so bad/boring/easy/deserves to be on the level of critical thinking you should not do it!

Art sounds better than politics but beware of the crazy workload, it will dominate your week and you will probs spend longer on it alone than all your others combined

So I do 4 essay subjects and it really isn't that bad dw. Its way less work than sciencey subjects mainly because after the first two weeks your essay writing gets way faster and more efficient - i can knock out 1500 words in about an hour and a half now, which is the extent of most essays. I get about 3 essays a week btw.
Reply 15
Original post by gooner4ever
I would defo not do art if you haven't done it for gcse. Unless your fantastic at essay writing and enjoy it I would certainly not do all the subjects you have listed. Universities like interesting combinations. Are you any good at science or maths? if you are I would consider doing either maths or biology a level. If your not good at science or maths I would look for a different non- essay based a level to give yourself more of a variety in a levels.
Hope this helps and good luck!

Unfortunately I'm not that good at maths or biology (not up to my school standard anyway) and we don't get offered that many other choices. The only only other things I would really be able to do would be RS or Philosophy (but those don't get good marks in comparison to the other subjects I'm considering) c:
(but those don't get good marks in comparison to the other subjects I'm considering) c: would do you mean by that?! I would go for the four you chose then! But still consider any other non essay based a level you can take because 4 essay a levels isn't easy. I'm hoping to do: maths, geography, history and economics.
Reply 17
Original post by gooner4ever
(but those don't get good marks in comparison to the other subjects I'm considering) c: would do you mean by that?! I would go for the four you chose then! But still consider any other non essay based a level you can take because 4 essay a levels isn't easy. I'm hoping to do: maths, geography, history and economics.

At my school, people usually get better marks in things like History and Classics (I think it's because of the teachers or skill). I'm thinking I might go to talk to the head of my art department and try and find out his opinion, because I know that you get extra help if you haven't done art before. I just have to decide which one to drop now :/
Your A-Level choices seem fine, sure a lot of work involved, but it's not impossible. And with enough practice you'll be able to manage just fine with the workload.

Art takes up a lot of a person's time so I wouldn't recommend doing that. The choices you have are fine (Y).
Reply 19
I found Politics a little dry to be honest, it wasn't as good as it was during the taster. History and English Lit. are great subjects, really rather enjoyable and Classical Civilisations at A-Level is I hear extremely different to GCSE. Apparently Ancient History is closer to GCSE ClassCivs, and A-Level focuses more on ancient Literature than History. That is what my pastoral manager told me while interviewing for College anyway. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending