The Student Room Group

St John Ambulance Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Natalie21
I've got my first SJA first aid competitions next month - any tips?

Personally I've never done a competition so I hope someone who has will be able to give you better advice than me.

My tips are based on my experience of assessments and my experience of duties:

- If it's an emergency be quick but accurate.

- If you are unsure or don't know what you're doing then don't give any of this away to the patient and trust your instincts.

- Communicating with your casualty as you go along is great for the individual, especially if they cannot see what is happening - it demonstrates empathy on your part.

- Remember the basics, such as checking for danger and calling for help.

Hopefully some of these will help, they'll probably be reminders more than new tips. Sorry I can't be more helpful, good luck and tell us how it goes.
Natalie posted a similar question elsewhere so i'd refer people to my answer to that one .

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1703626&page=4&p=36718006#post36718006
Original post by zippyRN
Natalie posted a similar question elsewhere so i'd refer people to my answer to that one .

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1703626&page=4&p=36718006#post36718006

Interesting, thanks.
Hey, I'm new to this thread & SJA. I recently applied to them as they were requiring first aiders for a specific event, & they got back to me. I've been invited to an introductory session. I'm just wondering what to expect? Also, I'm going to Uni in September, which may mean that I may be unable to continue volunteering for the specific event they were asking for. Do you think I should bother going? I don't want to waste their time. However I feel I'll regret it if I don't try. Could they sort of transfer me to the area which my Uni is in, so I will be able to get involved with events there? I'm not quite sure how it all works. Thanks for any responses.
Original post by Cherriesxo
Hey, I'm new to this thread & SJA. I recently applied to them as they were requiring first aiders for a specific event, & they got back to me. I've been invited to an introductory session. I'm just wondering what to expect? Also, I'm going to Uni in September, which may mean that I may be unable to continue volunteering for the specific event they were asking for. Do you think I should bother going? I don't want to waste their time. However I feel I'll regret it if I don't try. Could they sort of transfer me to the area which my Uni is in, so I will be able to get involved with events there? I'm not quite sure how it all works. Thanks for any responses.

yes you can transfer , where localities advertise for a specific (recurring) event or venue it;s usually about building capacity in general but with a particualr focus at that time for boosting numbers
Original post by Cherriesxo

Hey welcome :smile:

Have you had any training yet? If not, you will have very basic training to start off with, don't worry about that.

I'm also going to Uni; a lot of Unis have their own SJA division called LINKS which you will be able to join, you will also be able to switch back to your division from home when you are not at Uni - this is what I plan to do.

I'd definitely tell you to "go for it!" You'll probably end up making some great new friends, learn new skills (which can be transferred into the workplace e.g. teamwork and communication) and you should enjoy yourself too. You'll get to go to some events and work behind the scenes - the way I see it that's a once in a life time opportunity. What events will you be doing out of interest?

Please keep us updated on your progress, take care :smile:
Reply 166
I have just done my induction training and have yet to do my training for a first aider and wanted to know if i did a first aid course this Wednesday that they are doing for free and my other first aid course i am about to finish at college will they let me do any duty's if i do this because the next part of our training is on April 21st ?
Original post by Mrbobby
I have just done my induction training and have yet to do my training for a first aider and wanted to know if i did a first aid course this Wednesday that they are doing for free and my other first aid course i am about to finish at college will they let me do any duty's if i do this because the next part of our training is on April 21st ?

Welcome to the thread mate.

At my division you must have a CRB check, a letter signed by the man at the top to welcome you to St John and First aid at work (FAW) before you can treat on duties. However you may still go on duties to assist (fill out paper work) and observe if you have everything but the FAW.

The best people to ask though are the leaders of the division you have joined/are joining.

Hope this helped :smile:
Reply 168
Original post by KingGoonIan
Welcome to the thread mate.

At my division you must have a CRB check, a letter signed by the man at the top to welcome you to St John and First aid at work (FAW) before you can treat on duties. However you may still go on duties to assist (fill out paper work) and observe if you have everything but the FAW.

The best people to ask though are the leaders of the division you have joined/are joining.

Hope this helped :smile:

Yeah done all my paper work crb etc... just had to give them a new ref and just wanted to know because i joined in November.
Hi! I used to be a cadet, from the ages of 12-16, then due to exam pressures, I left.
I'm 20 now, and looking to get back into it, but I really can't remember how to go about it. I live in a different city now too, so it's not as though I could go back to the same place.
What's the best way to get into it?
Original post by Cast No Shadow
Hi! I used to be a cadet, from the ages of 12-16, then due to exam pressures, I left.
I'm 20 now, and looking to get back into it, but I really can't remember how to go about it. I live in a different city now too, so it's not as though I could go back to the same place.
What's the best way to get into it?

Hey, it's cool you were in the cadets, I wish I'd been in the cadets because I think I'd have been more confident at duties and in assessments a lot quicker.

The best way to join is to find your local division and contact them to tell them that you're interested (there's a link to the division finder on the first post). They should then invite you down to one of their evening meetings (these take place once a week) and ask you to attend a training session. You should also expect to be asked to fill out a CRB form and apparently you have to have a reference now too. If you contacted my division for example they would stop at nothing to get you to join lol, but every division is different.
Hey, it's cool you were in the cadets, I wish I'd been in the cadets because I think I'd have been more confident at duties and in assessments a lot quicker.

The best way to join is to find your local division and contact them to tell them that you're interested (there's a link to the division finder on the first post). They should then invite you down to one of their evening meetings (these take place once a week) and ask you to attend a training session. You should also expect to be asked to fill out a CRB form and apparently you have to have a reference now too. If you contacted my division for example they would stop at nothing to get you to join lol, but every division is different.

the correct answer to anyone thinking about joining is ask them to contact their local county HQ , rather than divisions, as thanks to the way liarbore drafted the rules regarding POVA and child protection it's somewhat problematic suggesting people attend the location of unit meetings without appointments etc .

Your local division is not necessarily the best fit for what you can offer and what SJA can offer you, one of the things that a proportion of us have been trying to get across for a number of years is that SJA is one organisation as a whole , regionalisation is forcing this issue.
Original post by zippyRN
the correct answer to anyone thinking about joining is ask them to contact their local county HQ , rather than divisions, as thanks to the way liarbore drafted the rules regarding POVA and child protection it's somewhat problematic suggesting people attend the location of unit meetings without appointments etc .

Your local division is not necessarily the best fit for what you can offer and what SJA can offer you, one of the things that a proportion of us have been trying to get across for a number of years is that SJA is one organisation as a whole , regionalisation is forcing this issue.

I was using my division as an example.
Reply 173
They have just sent my two ref off and i should be a member next week
Personally I've never done a competition so I hope someone who has will be able to give you better advice than me.

My tips are based on my experience of assessments and my experience of duties:

- If it's an emergency be quick but accurate.

- If you are unsure or don't know what you're doing then don't give any of this away to the patient and trust your instincts.

- Communicating with your casualty as you go along is great for the individual, especially if they cannot see what is happening - it demonstrates empathy on your part.

- Remember the basics, such as checking for danger and calling for help.

Hopefully some of these will help, they'll probably be reminders more than new tips. Sorry I can't be more helpful, good luck and tell us how it goes.

Very useful - thank you :biggrin:
Reply 175
Does anyone know how i apply to be a cycle responder if i just become a member.
Original post by Mrbobby
Does anyone know how i apply to be a cycle responder if i just become a member.

Contact the CRU team leader if the county has an existing team, otherwise business case with support from the NHQ cycling lead and adjacent CRU team leaders ...
Yikes got my first duty in ages tomoro (oh wait it's already tomoro...) morning, start at 9am.

It's a 6mile fun run for Sport Relief.
Successfully supervised a trainee first aider for the first time today. It was great because it was her first time out on duty and I think she really enjoyed it. Anyone else been on any duties this weekend? :smile:
Successfully supervised a trainee first aider for the first time today. It was great because it was her first time out on duty and I think she really enjoyed it. Anyone else been on any duties this weekend? :smile:

I was at a horse racing duty today - great fun :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending