The Student Room Group

Where do people stand on the 'Thigh gap' situation?

When I was 18 I had amazing legs and a nice little 'thigh gap'. They never rubbed together as I walked or touched as I was standing like normal. I know as you get older your body changes and that but now as soon as I'm standing they touch and I don't think it looks nice (they don't rub as I walk though) I've asked people before about what they think about 'thigh gaps' and they aren't really fussed about them.

I just want to hear other people opinions on them and hopefully someone can help me change my mind. This could all just be in my head..

Scroll to see replies

I have bow legs and to stop the freaky looks I get I would love for my thighs to touch.
Reply 2
I think a thigh gap has a lot to do with natural genetics and it's an unattainable and unrealistic target for most girls. Having said that, I agree that it looks nicer than when thighs touch!
You're right - it does look nicer.
Well I am 18 and I wish I did have a thigh gap! But, eh, I'm too lazy to do anything about it :P
Reply 5
I had the thigh gap. I didn't like it. I still kind of have a small one, but it's not really noticeable thankfully! I feel like a proper woman now, I was way too thin when I had a thigh gap.
Can't say I've every really thought about it... I don't have one with my legs stood together but I didn't realise anybody would!
Reply 7
I'm not sure about anyone else, but I'd have to put on about 10lbs for my thighs to touch and I'm not underweight by any means. maybe it's because the bulk of my body fat is on my bum/stomach/arms, not my thighs? either way, when I stand with my feet together there's usually a 2cm gap between my thighs at the narrowest part.
I never even knew this existed until now, after googling it then looking at Tumblr accounts, its just a collection of girls with **** child legs. Don't see why anyone would aim for it.
Mine touch and I'm a size 10. I never paid any attention to it.

Edit: a neg brought me here a year later. I am not a size 10 anymore!!!! :frown:

.. Oh the happy memories.
(edited 11 years ago)
I actually think it's an unrealistic and unhealthy aims for most girls. Fair enough it depends where you hold your weight, but I've been rather upset lately to see photos of girls with a thigh gap being praised, when the girl in question has clearly managed to achieve an unhealthily low weight in order to get the gap.

That being said, I understand that some girls are a different build, and could be a healthy weight and still have a thigh gap, but not for most.

Promote a healthy weight, a healthy body and a healthy mind. Don't fixate on little things like that.
Reply 11
I won't even entertain the thought of taking out a girl without a thigh gap.

Absolute must.

EDIT: I guess my sarcasm/irony is lost on some people....
(edited 11 years ago)
I have one! A big one! I'm 10.5 stone and 6 feet tall. Or do guys not really count? :tongue:
I don't as anyone who has read my posts know already but mine do not rub. I'm attaining for toned thighs as mu inner thighs need work but I have no intention of getting a thigh gap.

I don't particularly find them attractive I think women with muscly thighs (not overly so) are more attractive. :mmm:
My legs don't touch but I don't think it's healthy for girls who don't have a gap to lose weight in order to achieve it; some girls simply aren't built in a way that gives you a gap between your legs and there's nothing wrong with that. :smile:
Reply 15
Need pics. If you're in shape but your thighs touch, it looks decent.

Here's IFBB women's physique pro Karina Nascimento. OMG her thighs touch. Doesn't stop her looking amazing:
It looks weird.
I saw this girl at the train station and I was so envious of how she looked (skinny with a thigh gap and nice bum) and this jealously and me feeling crap about myself was made worse when I noticed some guys gawping at her as she walked away. I thought they were checking her out. Couple seconds later one said to the other "Seen the state of her? She needs to eat more pies"

So yes some people do like thigh gaps, but at the same time others don't. I personally think it makes you look ill and while you may think having a thigh gap can make you look more attractive sometimes it's not the case.
Unfortunately it depends on where you store body fat. Some women have it others don't. If you are top heavy you may be able to achieve it however if you are bottom heavy its almost impossible even if you are a size 0
Reply 19
Original post by SuperheroSam
I have bow legs and to stop the freaky looks I get I would love for my thighs to touch.

You could just shoot them with an arrow. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest