The Student Room Group

How many hours of revision a day do you plan to do in Easter?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by louci
i am really sorry
i just started year 12 so i just am really into it u know !!!!!
i just wanna get everything in my head and start practicing papers

anyway wat year are u in??

no no it's no problem. i was only joking when i said you made me feel bad. you were making me reflect on how much revision i did for a levels. i've just finished my first year of uni and am on study leave now, but i won't be studying anywhere near that mark, maybe 5/6 hours a day max.

for a levels i didn't study from 6am - 10pm because for me personally it is too excessive, but if that works for you then go for it, if you work hard you'll end up with awesome grades. :smile:
Reply 21
Original post by Id and Ego seek
Haha, no, for all of them :3
Monday's schedule would look like, Greek Philosophy: Aristotle and Plato, Stress to Stress' influence on the immune system, All of conformity, Moral Absolutism and Relativism, Quality of information.

I usually go in chronological order, make notes, then revise those the next day and continue on with the specimen. I think if I can successfully keep to such a pace, I can finish all of my subject's information and do some past papers.

Phew, haha! 12 hours a day would have been intense...

Hmmm, Monday sounds... fun? I think recapping stuff is really important too! If I just cover something once, then don't bother to look over it again within a couple of days, I just forget it. :smile:
Do people think you need to do more for maths and sciences? I envisage far more of my time being spent on maths than English so that's why I'm wondering.
Reply 23
GCSE - 1hr30 a day with a break every half hour, then we'll assess where i am after the first week, in terms of how much i need to do, then adjust how much i'm doing for the second week.
On the Saturday before I officially start Easter holidays: maybe 4 or 5 hours a day?
In reality: 1 or 2 hours a day, taking days off to procrastinate, wreck my liver and complain about my exams.

AS level, btw.
Reply 25
2 to 4 hours a day, AS level student
Original post by ummm
A-Level - planning to do 8 hours a day (with regular breaks).

Reality: Nowhere near that.

Same for me, first year university student.
A Level - hopefully 6 hrs a day; 30 mins of revision with 10 mins break in between.

In reality, probably somewhere around 1 hr of meaningful revision :erm:

:getmecoat:
Reply 28
Hopefully about 5-6 hours a day, but may be cut to about 3-4 as I despise one of my A-Levels...

AS-Level
1st year Uni student, I've been doing about 4 hours a day so far.
Reply 30
You guys are making me feel bad, I guess I'll go make my timetable now prob 6 hours a day, one hour per exam.
4 hours a day

2-4pm and 8-10pm

Worked well for me in the Christmas holidays and got me the grades I wanted
Original post by JollyGreenAtheist
On the Saturday before I officially start Easter holidays: maybe 4 or 5 hours a day?
In reality: 1 or 2 hours a day, taking days off to procrastinate, wreck my liver and complain about my exams.

AS level, btw.

Liver wrecking is good :cool:

Might do me some of that too :colone:
Reply 33
Original post by louci
i am doing each subjected for two hours
so i don't get distracted
i will tell you if it works though !!
i know wat ur thinking but i need to try

Seriously, you really don't need to try, you need to come up with a plan that will be effective and efficient. I know from experience that the most I can properly concentrate on revision (which is a pretty intensive mental activity) is 1 hour. And I would say from my experience I can concentrate slightly more easily than the average 16 year old.

Honestly, I'm not trying to be annoying or anything, but you need to take regular breaks, preferably involving some form of physical activity but at the very least they must distract your mind from revision:

- They will keep your mind fresh. After a couple of hours of studying, you won't be able to think about things properly, and taking a healthy 15-30 minute break will allow you temporarily partially forget what you have learnt. When you come back to re-revise you will therefore have a fair understanding of the material which you know, and will be able to relearn everything else. After several repeats of this you should find that the information sticks much more permanently.

- Sitting down for hours on end with minimal breaks is unhealthy and mentally draining. Revision takes a lot of brainpower to do well.

- Revising for hours at a time will mean your concentration will be shoddy. If your mind is wandering around the place, not only are you vulnerable to procrastination, you will be able to absorb information at a quarter of the rate. This is really no exaggeration!

- Attempting such an ambitious plan will inevitably lead to some form of failure, since you are expecting something from yourself that is not physically possible to sustain. Get a realistic plan that you can keep and stick to it. You will feel like you haven't underachieved.

Even if this means that you just do 30 minutes of revision and then taking 30 minutes break, you will gain so much more. Trust me, I know this from experience, having tried to revise for ridiculous time periods in the past.

Anyway, hopefully some of what I've said has been helpful to someone. :smile:

Oh, and someone here said that if an intensive strategy such as you suggested works for you then go for it. Respectfully, I'd like to disagree. People seem to have developed a somewhat convoluted idea of what real concentration actually is, and hence believe they can go on for hours. I have never seen such a person.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 34
Highers (Scottish AS/A Level equivalent) - about 3 hours a day. One hour in the morning, one in the afternoon and one at night. I don't want to go to hard on myself before study leave in may, where I plan on doubling that.
More than five A Level Business, Law & Media. I didn't do well in my January ones so I need to up my game.
Reply 36
[video="youtube;MusyO7J2inM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MusyO7J2inM[/video]

I know what I will be doing lots of. :cool:
You people are all mad D=

I'll be hopefully doing around 2-3 hours a day, max. And about half of that will be spent daydreaming.

No timetable, I revise when I feel like and stop when I feel like.

I'm doing AS, by the way :smile:
7.5 hours per day.

From 10:00 - 12:00, then 13:30 - 17:00, and from 18:00 - 20:00. This is what I did last year and it worked for me. It is actually less stressful for me if I revise more, as I feel like I am achieving something, rather than just relaxing.

A2-level.
Reply 39
Original post by lonelyknight

No timetable, I revise when I feel like and stop when I feel like.

:smile:

I tried that last year nothing gets done :|

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending