The Student Room Group

Greggs or Sainsburys?

I have received job offers from both Greggs and Sainsburys,which of course I'm very happy about! However I'm now stuck with which one to accept :tongue: I am under 18, so Greggs would pay me £5.37 (£5.55 after 12 weeks of training) which goes to £6.52 when I'm 18 in July. Completely forgot what Sainsbury's pay rate would be,but I've heard it's minimum wage and it goes up to £6.38 when I'm 18.

I applied to Greggs on the basis of a 5 hour weekend contract, however when I asked about hours in my interview she said I could work any hours I could fit in, in any store in my region. My Sainsbury's hours would total around 19 a week,but with it being a large supermarket I'm sure I would end up working more than that.

Also, Greggs is one 10 min bus ride away, costing me £2.10 on First or £2.30 on Arriva. Sainsbury's is a 30 min bus ride away costing me around £2.50 on Arriva. However I'd be earning enough at Sainsburys to fund this, whereas there is no guarantee for that at Greggs, since some weeks I may end up just working the 5 hours.

In short, which one do you think I should go for? I have no idea. My biggest aim is to save towards University which I have deferred til 2013, so working at Sainsburys would mean I'm making much more money. But heh,I'm still unsure :tongue: I am leaning towards Sainsburys, but then Greggs has so many benefits and is closer.Anyone worked for Greggs or Sainsburys before? Can you vouch for one more than the other? I am so lost. Also, If anyone knows for sure the Sainsburys pay rate for Under 18's, that would be great. Thanks to any answers :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I would choose Sainsburys... you might learn more and have different experiences and you would have more hours - with possibility work even more in busy periods or if someone is on holidays
Reply 2
Original post by jellybean_
Completely forgot what Sainsbury's pay rate would be,but I've heard it's minimum wage and it goes up to £6.38 when I'm 18.

Hi,

I work at Sainsburys and was under 18 for my first month so was on £4.89/hour. This then rose to £6.38/hour when I turned 18.

What role have you been offered in the store? As you say it is a large store, you will more than likely be till trained irrespective of your main role, and will therefore be able to do overtime on checkouts (we always have some available on a first come first served basis - not sure how it works in other departments). Just note that since you are currently under 18, one of the checkout supervisors will have to authorise all of your age restricted sales (i.e. alcohol/knives etc.), though I never found this to be much of a problem.

Also, looking to the future, though it cannot be guaranteed, there is the possibility of getting a dual store contract for when your at uni (I hope to be securing one late this year!).

Good Luck!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by WhiteWash
Hi,

I work at Sainsburys and was under 18 for my first month so was on £4.89/hour. This then rose to £6.38/hour when I turned 18.

What role have you been offered in the store? As you say it is a large store, you will more than likely be till trained irrespective of your main role, and will therefore be able to do overtime on checkouts (we always have some available on a first come first served basis - not sure how it works in other departments). Just note that since you are currently under 18, one of the checkout supervisors will have to authorise all of your age restricted sales (i.e. alcohol/knives etc.), though I never found this to be much of a problem.

Also, looking to the future, though it cannot be guaranteed, there is the possibility of getting a dual store contract for when your at uni (I hope to be securing one late this year!).

Good Luck!

Thanks very much for the extra useful reply! The under 18 pay isn't very much especially compared to what I was paid at my previous job at Waterstone's..but hey, it's better than nothing! :tongue: I have applied for a Bakery role, but I hope I would be trained to be able to work on checkouts at some point.

Also the point about working at Uni - thats fab,I hope it happens for me :biggrin: I've been worrying about how I could possibly afford all my food and such at Uni, but if I got this job and they were able to transfer me then that's great!

Again thanks for the very useful response :smile:
Reply 4
I have received job offers from both Greggs and Sainsburys,which of course I'm very happy about! However I'm now stuck with which one to accept :tongue: I am under 18, so Greggs would pay me £5.37 (£5.55 after 12 weeks of training) which goes to £6.52 when I'm 18 in July. Completely forgot what Sainsbury's pay rate would be,but I've heard it's minimum wage and it goes up to £6.38 when I'm 18.

I applied to Greggs on the basis of a 5 hour weekend contract, however when I asked about hours in my interview she said I could work any hours I could fit in, in any store in my region. My Sainsbury's hours would total around 19 a week,but with it being a large supermarket I'm sure I would end up working more than that.

Also, Greggs is one 10 min bus ride away, costing me £2.10 on First or £2.30 on Arriva. Sainsbury's is a 30 min bus ride away costing me around £2.50 on Arriva. However I'd be earning enough at Sainsburys to fund this, whereas there is no guarantee for that at Greggs, since some weeks I may end up just working the 5 hours.

In short, which one do you think I should go for? I have no idea. My biggest aim is to save towards University which I have deferred til 2013, so working at Sainsburys would mean I'm making much more money. But heh,I'm still unsure :tongue: I am leaning towards Sainsburys, but then Greggs has so many benefits and is closer.Anyone worked for Greggs or Sainsburys before? Can you vouch for one more than the other? I am so lost. Also, If anyone knows for sure the Sainsburys pay rate for Under 18's, that would be great. Thanks to any answers :biggrin:

Hi, can i ask did greggs email you or phone you to let you know that you got the job? i had my interview there today.
I would go for sainsburys as you get more hours.
I know it might not be relevant to you but I don't think I could deal with the smell of working in Greggs every day.
Reply 6
Original post by chikane
Hi, can i ask did greggs email you or phone you to let you know that you got the job? i had my interview there today.
I would go for sainsburys as you get more hours.

I had my interview on 31st and a call at 9am on the 2nd April to offer me a job :smile: Good luck, which store did you apply for if you dont mind me asking?
Reply 7
Thank you for all the replies :smile: I have accepted Greggs in the end.. Sainsburys offer me more hours, but Greggs is in the town centre so much easier and cheaper in the long run to get to.

I am so jealous :P I've been looking for a job for ages and never even got to interview stage... If you don't mind me asking, what did you put on your application ie work experience, that sort of thing? You must be have really impressed them to get interviews AND job offers from both. Well done! :biggrin:
Reply 9
I had my interview on 31st and a call at 9am on the 2nd April to offer me a job :smile: Good luck, which store did you apply for if you dont mind me asking?

I had a call at 4.30 today from private number but left no voicemail so dont know if it was them but they said they would let me know end of week, as there was an induction next tuesday i hope i get it, the pay, benefits and bonuses are better than most places. Thankyou, congrats to you very lucky girl i love sainsburys and greggs so would have to think long and hard to which one i would choose.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by scotland369
I am so jealous :P I've been looking for a job for ages and never even got to interview stage... If you don't mind me asking, what did you put on your application ie work experience, that sort of thing? You must be have really impressed them to get interviews AND job offers from both. Well done! :biggrin:

Thank you :biggrin: Luckily, my work experience consists of Waterstone's and working at a restaurant. However to get my first job, I just used my school work experience placement (2 weeks at a school). I recommend that to get a first job, you email all cafes and restaurants around you with your CV. They don't have such high expectations as high street stores when it comes to work experience. Then you could stay at one, even if its only for a month, and use that to get into bigger and better jobs. Also, throughout applications be really conscious to use key words like polite, honest, hardworking, friendly, etc :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by chikane
I had a call at 4.30 today from private number but left no voicemail so dont know if it was them but they said they would let me know end of week, as there was an induction next tuesday i hope i get it, the pay, benefits and bonuses are better than most places. Thankyou, congrats to you very lucky girl i love sainsburys and greggs so would have to think long and hard to which one i would choose. i applied in coventry. :smile: you?

Hmm, I doubt it was them. They would have left a voicemail surely. Thank you very much :biggrin: I applied in Leicester. I hope you get a position! A lot of people really look down on the job, but it's pretty well paid and there are many benefits.
Reply 12
Hmm, I doubt it was them. They would have left a voicemail surely. Thank you very much :biggrin: I applied in Leicester. I hope you get a position! A lot of people really look down on the job, but it's pretty well paid and there are many benefits.

Thats what i thought too. Thankyou i hope so too, whens your induction?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by chikane
Thats what i thought too hope i get it, i dont think it should be looked down upon, i currently work at primark and there are absolutely no benefits there at all, no discounts, bonuses, minimum wage, supervisors are paid 30p more than over 21 wages, horrible place to work in so hoping i could just leave as soon as. Thankyou i hope so too, whens your induction?

That sounds rubbish,glad I haven't worked there before lol. My induction is on Thursday, but I was so excited by the call that I didn't write down what time I need to be there..d'oh :tongue:
Reply 14
That sounds rubbish,glad I haven't worked there before lol. My induction is on Thursday, but I was so excited by the call that I didn't write down what time I need to be there..d'oh :tongue:

Aww call the hr and did they ask bout uniform?
Reply 15
Original post by chikane
Aww call the hr and did they ask bout uniform?

I'll have to haha :tongue: at my interview they asked for my uniform size.. at the induction I just need to wear casual and then I get given the uniform at the end of the induction. I remember my interviewer saying you can't wear it outside of the shop at all due to hygiene reasons :smile:
Thank you :biggrin: Luckily, my work experience consists of Waterstone's and working at a restaurant. However to get my first job, I just used my school work experience placement (2 weeks at a school). I recommend that to get a first job, you email all cafes and restaurants around you with your CV. They don't have such high expectations as high street stores when it comes to work experience. Then you could stay at one, even if its only for a month, and use that to get into bigger and better jobs. Also, throughout applications be really conscious to use key words like polite, honest, hardworking, friendly, etc :smile:

That's really helpful thanks! Here, have a positive rep, you've earned it :wink:
I've been at Greggs for almost a year and would have said go for Sainsbury's but you already made your choice so no point me warning you now! I hope your shop is better organised than the one I'm in! I can't wait to find something else!
Reply 18
Thank you very much for the rep :biggrin: I am always happy to help if you need it in the future ^^
Reply 19
Original post by aleathiel
I've been at Greggs for almost a year and would have said go for Sainsbury's but you already made your choice so no point me warning you now! I hope your shop is better organised than the one I'm in! I can't wait to find something else!

Darn :tongue: Hopefully my experience at Greggs is better than yours. Do you mind me asking what shop you are at, or ar least the region it's in?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending