The Student Room Group

What is your 'Most Annoying Medical admissions Interview...ever!'?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by CraigKirk
I don't know Helenia, I think that if it was approached carefully and politely then it might not seem at all arrogant, and certainly not rude. It is his future on the line, and he might have to have paid quite a lot to travel to the interview and it's just plain rude of interviewers to blatantly ignore a candidate.

On the other hand, it could even sound good; it shows determination, assertiveness and confidence, all of which a doctor needs. All my opinion, of course. :yy:

Hmmm. I have to say I think it would be a dangerous thing to do in an interview. Especially if you were to say "This is my future we're talking about here" - that does sound arrogant. I completely agree that it is very rude to be using your phone in an interview, but even now I wouldn't pass comment on it. But then it takes a lot for me to say something like that to someone in authority anyway. I would be put off any applicant who did that, but that's not to say all interviewers would.
Reply 21
Oh God ... yes... way too many bad stories to tell, but this was one of the worst ones, and it happened at my Dundee MMI:

I had a piece of card with different coloured shapes on it arranged in a specific manner. I had to describe the position of the shapes to the interviewer ... something like this happened

"Ok so, put the triangle in the bottom left corner of the page."
"The triangle?"
"Yes, the yellow triangle."
"Uuuh sorry, but what's a triangle?"
"It has three sides ... it's kind of pointy like?"
"Uuuh ok ..."
"Ok so take the yellow triangle and put--"
"Yellow? What's yellow?"
"It's a colour? You know, like the sun? It gives us light and stuff ... ?"
"This is Scotland, we don't get much sun around here..."
"Um ok well let's move on then? Do you see the little purple rectangle?"
"Pur-"
"TIME'S UP!!!! Next station!!!"
"... **** me."

Obviously they were being dense on purpose but still ... :frown:
Original post by Wickersham
Oh God ... yes... way too many bad stories to tell, but this was one of the worst ones, and it happened at my Dundee MMI:

I had a piece of card with different coloured shapes on it arranged in a specific manner. I had to describe the position of the shapes to the interviewer ... something like this happened

"The triangle?"
"Uuuh ok ..."
"Yellow? What's yellow?"
"Pur-"
"... **** me."

Don't feel too bad about it, Dundonians often present that way.
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
Don't feel too bad about it, Dundonians often present that way.

Yeah, they are just preparing you for the future...

On the other hand, it could even sound good; it shows determination, assertiveness and confidence, all of which a doctor needs. All my opinion, of course. :yy:

I think it would go down incredibly badly with the interviewer!

Senior doctors being in constant communication is just a fact of life. I've had doctors texting in PBL sessions, answering their phones in lectures and, the worst example, using their phone while examining an OSCE station. If I were to do any of those things I'd be in trouble, if a doctor does it you just have to accept it.

"The triangle?"
"Uuuh ok ..."
"Yellow? What's yellow?"
"Pur-"
"... **** me."

They were just seeing how you can communicate in difficult/unfamiliar circumstances. As doctors we'll come across much more challenging situations with patients.

I was doing a night shift on call last week when we were called to see a delirious patient. His oxygen sats were very low yet he was refusing to put the oxygen mask on until the police arrived (he thought he'd called the police through his tv remote control to report a murder). He was going purple yet we couldn't force the oxygen mask on him - what do you do? It all comes down to communication skills.
Reply 26
Mine were all fine to be honest. The worst was MMIs about crashing your car etc, just really random and hard to know what they're looking for, and it's not exactly something you can prepare for.

I thought all of my interviews were fair, they were professional and seemed to be trying to put everyone at ease, maybe I was just lucky though? :confused:

MMIs are very tiring though!
Reply 27
No... Maybe I'm lucky, but all of my interviewers were very professional. There was one interviewer at Manchester who was very blatantly rude during the MMI, but us candidates discussed it afterwards and agreed that it must have been to pressure us.

I had a slightly harsh interviewer at Manchester too, not mean but a little sharp, when was your interview?
Original post by areebmazhar
This Chinese doctor walked me from the waiting room to the interview room, and whilst he was walking me down he was being really nice and asking how the tour was etc. Then the interview starts, and first is a transplant surgeon asking me questions and he's really nice and encouraging. He said some of my answers were very good and I was thinking outside the box, and they were pretty standard questions as well tbh. Then it's the Chinese doctors turn and I think to myself "oh, this guy seemed really nice, I'll just ace his questions and then I'm in-jobs a good 'un". But he jumps straight in:
"How would you persuade a fellow Muslim that the theory of evolution is correct?
"Ermm.. scientific evidence and stuff...?"
"Like what?"
"Fossil records and genome comparisons"
"And?"
"Sorry, I don't know"
"Hmm..ok, let's move on. You must have been asleep in your Biology lessons!"
*nervous laugh* "Haha, yeah that's right" (I started laughing very hard at his joke which I didn't find funny)
"Ok, so your friend has the answers for your medical final exam what would you do?"
*Give an answer talking about integrity and professionalism yet compassion and love for my colleague, and how I would not look at the answers*
"But reeallly?...Are you sure you wouldn't have a look?"
"Yes, I definitely wouldn't"
"Really? I'm sure if I was a medical student, I'd have a hard time not looking"
"To be honest, in the situation I might be tempted to have a good look through the answers"
"That's not very good is it?! What happened to honesty?"

Seriously, I think he found it funny to toy with me like that :tongue:

Wow lol.. did you get an offer in the end? If you hadn't said the last bit I think there might've been a chance!
Original post by Someone123123
Wow lol.. did you get an offer in the end? If you hadn't said the last bit I think there might've been a chance!

Funnily enough I did get an offer, it was my only offer as well!
But then Sheffield do have a high interview to offer ratio :biggrin:
This Chinese doctor walked me from the waiting room to the interview room, and whilst he was walking me down he was being really nice and asking how the tour was etc. Then the interview starts, and first is a transplant surgeon asking me questions and he's really nice and encouraging. He said some of my answers were very good and I was thinking outside the box, and they were pretty standard questions as well tbh. Then it's the Chinese doctors turn and I think to myself "oh, this guy seemed really nice, I'll just ace his questions and then I'm in-jobs a good 'un". But he jumps straight in:
"How would you persuade a fellow Muslim that the theory of evolution is correct?
"Ermm.. scientific evidence and stuff...?"
"Like what?"
"Fossil records and genome comparisons"
"And?"
"Sorry, I don't know"
"Hmm..ok, let's move on. You must have been asleep in your Biology lessons!"
*nervous laugh* "Haha, yeah that's right" (I started laughing very hard at his joke which I didn't find funny)
"Ok, so your friend has the answers for your medical final exam what would you do?"
*Give an answer talking about integrity and professionalism yet compassion and love for my colleague, and how I would not look at the answers*
"But reeallly?...Are you sure you wouldn't have a look?"
"Yes, I definitely wouldn't"
"Really? I'm sure if I was a medical student, I'd have a hard time not looking"
"To be honest, in the situation I might be tempted to have a good look through the answers"
"That's not very good is it?! What happened to honesty?"

Seriously, I think he found it funny to toy with me like that :tongue:

Oh Gosh! If i was ever asked questions like that, i would have no idea as to what to say. That first question was very harsh, i would've just been like "errrmm, errmm..next question please!" And the chinese doctor sounds funny, hahaha :biggrin:
Original post by HopefulFutureMedic
Oh Gosh! If i was ever asked questions like that, i would have no idea as to what to say. That first question was very harsh, i would've just been like "errrmm, errmm..next question please!" And the chinese doctor sounds funny, hahaha :biggrin:

He was a nice guy deep down I think, it was just an act to put me under pressure. Do you know Mr Raftery who does some talks for soams, he was the other interviewer!
Yeah i understand what you mean. I dont think so, talk me through a description of how he looks like.
If i do see him, i'll be sure to introduce myself and be EXTRA nice :awesome:
Is he old by any chance?
He was a nice guy deep down I think, it was just an act to put me under pressure. Do you know Mr Raftery who does some talks for soams, he was the other interviewer!

Just googled him, yeah i know who he is.
He gave us some good hint and tips during his talk a few months back :smile:
Thanks for letting me know.
Original post by HopefulFutureMedic
Just googled him, yeah i know who he is.
He gave us some good hint and tips during his talk a few months back :smile:
Thanks for letting me know.

Yeah, he gave us a lecture when they were talking about different careers, he was a really funny guy actually! If you have him just act natural, he loves seeing non-typical personalities for medic applicants in interviews. For example, this one girl in her mock was talking about playing cello to grade 8 or something and she was really posh etc and he said she was too mature and uptight for soams, she needed to loosen up a bit! Oh and he interviews all soams people, because he's the guy that originally made soams! :smile:
Funnily enough I did get an offer, it was my only offer as well!
But then Sheffield do have a high interview to offer ratio :biggrin:

Congrats on the offer.
Just curious, were you in SOAMS too? And if you don't mind me asking, what other unis did you apply too?
Original post by HeavyTeddy
Congrats on the offer.
Just curious, were you in SOAMS too? And if you don't mind me asking, what other unis did you apply too?

Yep, I'm a year 13 in soams. I'm guessing your a y12 soams student? Applied to oxford, bristol, notts and sheff obviously :tongue:
Yep, I'm a year 13 in soams. I'm guessing your a y12 soams student? Applied to oxford, bristol, notts and sheff obviously :tongue:

Nah, I find out about SOAMS application too late x_x. So basically, with my GCSE's I have no chance with Sheffield x_x

Any advice that could help me out?
Reply 38
I found my St.Andrews interview very annoying, the interviewers spent more or less the whole interview asking me how great I think their course is. It was definitely a waste of 7 hours travel for a 20 minute interview in which they were supposed to assess my suitability for the course. I know they assess your communication skills etc... throughout the interview but they seemed very self-absorbed and overly concerned with image

"The triangle?"
"Uuuh ok ..."
"Yellow? What's yellow?"
"Pur-"
"... **** me."

I had something similar, but with a card game. That station was entirely focused on your patience and communication skills. I totally sucked at the actual card game, got a good few of the rules wrong when talking to the guy but still got an offer from them. (Firmed last night, woot! :biggrin: )

Original post by Mero8
I found my St.Andrews interview very annoying, the interviewers spent more or less the whole interview asking me how great I think their course is. It was definitely a waste of 7 hours travel for a 20 minute interview in which they were supposed to assess my suitability for the course. I know they assess your communication skills etc... throughout the interview but they seemed very self-absorbed and overly concerned with image

I don't even know why St Andrews think they can still offer a decent course, given that you can't even finish the course there and have to be carted off to Edinburgh/Manchester!

And don't get me started on Edinburgh... No interviews for a course which leads to a job where absolutely everything hinges on your manner and personality, something which can't be assessed through exams or personal statement. *sigh*

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending