The Student Room Group
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford

Oxford Brookes Accommodation Thread 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CrazyPerson
Anyone know how and when we find out what accommodation we've actually been given?

Someone else asked.

Do we have to keep checking the PIP constantly, or will we get an email like we did with UCAS that informs us that there has been a change?? :s-smilie:

If you are an unconditional offer student you will find out around end of July. For those who are on conditional offers you will find out around the first week of september. There will be confirmed dates added to the website eventually. This will be updated on your pip page it will tell you which hall you are in and sometime later you will have a room number assigned to you.

Below is taken from the allocation policy of brookes to let people no about how brookes allocate rooms.

11.0 Random allocation process
11.1 Hall places will be randomly allocated to applicants based on their
preferred choices. Those applicants who are eligible for a guaranteed
hall place will be offered a place at one of the halls they have selected in
their Hall Application.
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford
Reply 41
Still waiting...being a graduate is a nightmare when it comes to going to uni again. Student Loans can take the blow for accomodation for regular students but others have to save up from their own money to pay for it! So its not all bad guys. Hoping for Crescent Hall as other LPC students will be there and the fact its not bad price wise, just taking the bus everyday will be a bit of a chore but it must be done. Just wish the accomodation letter comes soon, still have to send off stuff for my offer to become unconditional.
Reply 42
I've got a frustrating wait at the moment!

On a PhD course, but waiting for funding news which should be Wednesday next week.

I just want to know one way or another, and then I can crack on with looking for accommodation!
Reply 43
Original post by Charlottay!
If you are an unconditional offer student you will find out around end of July. For those who are on conditional offers you will find out around the first week of september. There will be confirmed dates added to the website eventually. This will be updated on your pip page it will tell you which hall you are in and sometime later you will have a room number assigned to you.

Below is taken from the allocation policy of brookes to let people no about how brookes allocate rooms.

11.0 Random allocation process
11.1 Hall places will be randomly allocated to applicants based on their
preferred choices. Those applicants who are eligible for a guaranteed
hall place will be offered a place at one of the halls they have selected in
their Hall Application.

So I can stop worrying for the next few months then. :smile:
I got an unconditional offer.

Thanks for giving me a date!!! :biggrin:
Guys, I am really confused, I really like dorset hall ! but i heard that they mix years and stuff what do u guys recommend, clive both ensuite or dorset!!
Original post by arantxaxiam
Guys, I am really confused, I really like dorset hall ! but i heard that they mix years and stuff what do u guys recommend, clive both ensuite or dorset!!

you do not apply to dorset house through the university. it is separate accommodation. If you are a first year looking for to meet new people i would recommend clive booth by far! live in halls first year and then move into dorset for 2nd or 3rd if you dont want to get a house
you do not apply to dorset house through the university. it is separate accommodation. If you are a first year looking for to meet new people i would recommend clive booth by far! live in halls first year and then move into dorset for 2nd or 3rd if you dont want to get a house

Thanks :smile: i was thinking about that i have my 2nd and 3rd year to live there why rush in? between clive booth and cheney which one would u choose?
Thanks :smile: i was thinking about that i have my 2nd and 3rd year to live there why rush in? between clive booth and cheney which one would u choose?

cheney is nicer than clive booth however cheney is a 50 week contract whereas clive booth is 38 weeks. so just think how long you plan to stay. If you want to be in oxford for the summer then obvs a 50 week contract is better. Bare in mind you will be paying for these weeks regardless if you live in them or not
Reply 48

Cheney has a 50 week run on it. I've heard they tend to keep it open for International Students, or those with courses that waver from the norm.

I've made CB en suite my first choice. Just hope I get it.
Original post by CrazyPerson
Cheney has a 50 week run on it. I've heard they tend to keep it open for International Students, or those with courses that waver from the norm.

I've made CB en suite my first choice. Just hope I get it.

thanks :smile: i think i am going for cheney as first and cb ensuite for second!
cheney is nicer than clive booth however cheney is a 50 week contract whereas clive booth is 38 weeks. so just think how long you plan to stay. If you want to be in oxford for the summer then obvs a 50 week contract is better. Bare in mind you will be paying for these weeks regardless if you live in them or not

Reply 51
I'm feeling unsure if I should apply to Dorset house (directly with CRM)- Any first years applying there??? It looks stunning and new and all but I'm afraid there'll not be lots of first years around and I'll be with all 2nd/3rd yrs. :s-smilie:
Original post by Natk
I'm feeling unsure if I should apply to Dorset house (directly with CRM)- Any first years applying there??? It looks stunning and new and all but I'm afraid there'll not be lots of first years around and I'll be with all 2nd/3rd yrs. :s-smilie:

It does look nice yes, expensive however.

If people don't get halls in uni owned accommodation they will go to Dorset house, i would thought quite a lot of people with insurance offers that end up going to Brookes will go with Dorset or Slade Park.

Personally i was a fan of "slumming" it in first year, minimal money on accommodation, with Crescent, its up to you if you want all the mod cons and the luxury, but its not really needed as you wont be getting it if you live out in a rented house for 2/3rd year.
Reply 53
Haven't got my letter yet, incase anyone's wondering if they're the only one.
I've firmed OB and thinking of going Paul Kent Hall. Although it's a journey to campuses, while I was on the applicant day, one of the students was saying how in her 1st year she stayed. Social life in the area is great, and it's pretty cheap for Oxford as a whole. You get a buspass anyway so I wouldn't be too worried about travelling.
Original post by imtimp427
Haven't got my letter yet, incase anyone's wondering if they're the only one.
I've firmed OB and thinking of going Paul Kent Hall. Although it's a journey to campuses, while I was on the applicant day, one of the students was saying how in her 1st year she stayed. Social life in the area is great, and it's pretty cheap for Oxford as a whole. You get a buspass anyway so I wouldn't be too worried about travelling.

Thank God, I'm not the only one :L I've put oxford brookes as my insurance, but still, it's an absolute pain!
Original post by Natk

i am having the same problem but i think that i am going to put dorset as second choice!
Reply 56
Original post by tom_tom_tom
It does look nice yes, expensive however.

If people don't get halls in uni owned accommodation they will go to Dorset house, i would thought quite a lot of people with insurance offers that end up going to Brookes will go with Dorset or Slade Park.

Personally i was a fan of "slumming" it in first year, minimal money on accommodation, with Crescent, its up to you if you want all the mod cons and the luxury, but its not really needed as you wont be getting it if you live out in a rented house for 2/3rd year.

Thanks! :biggrin:
Reply 57
i am having the same problem but i think that i am going to put dorset as second choice!

Yay! But now my problem is that I still haven't got any letter from them yet lol
Was really starting to worry that I still hadn't heard anything about the accomodation but I'm feeling slightly better that other people haven't as well!
Reply 59
I do have a general question I'd like to bring up about Crescent Hall. If anyone knows here...is it far from the campus? Is it a pain to get the bus to headington hill everyday or is it not that bad walking? The rooms don't look to bad and I hope the people won't be noisy and annoying either but that's something you don't know til you get there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending