The Student Room Group

M2 May 2012 Edexcel - Post Exam Thread - Paper and Solutions in the FIRST POST

M2 May 2012

Overall I thought this was a very hard paper. Jan 2012 was a joke, so they really made up for it with this one.

Q1 Linear kinematics

Fairly easy C2 = 0 was a bit odd

Q2 Collisions

Slighly trickier than normal I would say

Q3 Moments

Significantly harder than normal, it was strange that it was just pivoted in mid-air. Aslo the wording off part b) may cause problems

EDIT - I may have overcomplicated b)

I thought it was referring to a vertical plane because asking for just the vertical force and direction seems too easy (and pointless)... it could of course simply mean up or down

However, for 4 marks, it probably just required 40.1 acting vertically upwards

Q4 COM

a) was okay but b) will be a MASSIVE bloodbath; I can not see many people getting it correct.

Q5 Impulse

Very strange question, this again will cause a lot of problems

Q6 WEP

a) and b) are fine but I think c) will cause a lot of problems

Q7 Projectiles

a) and b) should be okay but I think c) is very tricky

Last few June boundaries were 68, 61, 62, 64, 58 for 80ums

This was a hard paper and I think the boundaries will reflect that, so I will guess at

100ums - 70
90ums - 63
80ums - 56
70ums - 49
60ums - 42
50ums - 35
40ums - 28

This thread will be locked at somepoint and then unlocked at midnight following the Mechanics 2 examination. I will upload the paper and my solutions to this post.

I will do my best to answer questions about the paper but please try to read the thread first so that I am not answering the same questions lots of times.Here are some links to previous M2 threads, they are worth a read and you will see what the common errors were...

Jan 2012 - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1906907

June 2011 - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1618497

The second link has loads of past papers, mark schemes, model solutions etc
Good luck.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Arsey! Dreading the projected grade boundaries more than the model answers, we found the paper so hard! I need an A :s-smilie:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
AAAAAAAAAH. anti-climax of waiting until midnight for the paper again. will it go up WON'T IT? so many questions. ARSEY WE'RE WAITING ON YOU PAL.
Reply 3
It wasn't Jan 2010 hard, similar paper to June 2006 though.
Original post by niklasR
Model Answers? It was a horrible paper!

My God yes!!
Reply 5
That was a disgusting paper.
Reply 6
It reminded me of the Jan 2010 paper! it was very dirty that paper :frown:
Reply 7
The paper was terrible :/
Reply 8
It wasn't actually that bad!
Reply 9
centres of mass question was some kind of sick joke
It was horrible, I got 75/75 on Jan 2010 and I thought this was even harder ! I know I lost 6 careless marks, but had zero time left at the end due to how horrific it was !
WORST case scenario - 61/75 (getting no method marks for my mistake questions)
BEST case scenario - 69/75 (I wrote down a reasonable amount of correct working on my mistakes)

Very similar style to January 2010 overall though ?
Probably the same person wrote it.

VILE.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 11
Goodbye A in Further Maths, goodbye Oxford. Hello McDonalds.
It was horrible!!
Reply 13
It wasn't too difficult overall. I left a couple of questions 'til after I'd finished the others so I could have a think about them before rushing into them, but in the end there was nothing in there that was a problem.
Reply 14
What the hell was that? XD Impossible! There goes my A!
Hopefullly I am not the onlyu onee who found it difficult..arhhhh Jan 2010 standard hatedd the impulse questionnnnn
That paper was horrible... Too many "Different" style questions all in one go. Messed that up big time.
Reall needd the solutions to calm me down arghhh..I could barely finish the paper....
Reply 18
it's funny because if M2 was a weird paper, WHO EVEN KNOWS WHAT FP2/FP3 WILL BE LIKE? loving life
Reply 19
they are up

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending