The Student Room Group

What are the Easiest and least respected A levels?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by michellemarcus
No A-Level is easy! You just got to pick the ones your intrested in and motivate yourself to work hard

Wrong. Media studies is easy. I'm speaking from experience.
General Studies. I may have failed it but still...
Film Studies is not THAT easy. Coursework is a breeze, but I'd like to see anyone step up to the plate come exam time and pull out an A without much effort.
sociology
Film studies, media studies, law.
Original post by Dominic101
Cambridge says that it is useful for compsci :frown: but I guess it is quite limiting

Well of course it's going to be useful for computer science :biggrin:

But for everything else it's pretty useless :/
Original post by Id and Ego seek
See, the problem with that is I don't think it's fair to weigh up psychology, politics, computing and business studies with the likes of sports studies, travel & tourism and perspectives of science. So this least can only account for 'least respected' in relation to others; it tells us nothing about the nature of the subjects in themselves.

A-Levels which limit what you can do at university:

Archaeology (Arch & Anth)
Art & Design (Arts)
Business Studies (Economics)
Computing (Computer Science)
Design & Technology (Architecture)
Drama/Theatre Studies (Arts)
Electronics (Engineering)
English Language (Arts)
Film Studies (Arts)
Government & Politics (Arts)
Law (Land Economy & Law)
Media Studies (Arts)
Psychology (Arts)
Sociology (Arts)

A-Levels which should only be chosen as a fourth choice:

Accounting
Applied Science
Citizenship
Communication Studies
Critical Thinking
Dance
Environmental Science
General Studies
Health & Social Care
Home Economics
ICT
Leisure Studies
Music Technology
Performance Studies
Performing Arts
Perspectives on Science
Photography
Physical Education
Science
Science for Public Understanding
Sports Studies
Travel & Tourism
World Development
Reply 107
Original post by Tahooper
Here's a full list of the least respected A-Levels:

Art & Design (Arts)
English Language (Arts)
Film Studies (Arts)
Law (Land Economy & Law)
Media Studies (Arts)
Psychology (Arts)
Sociology (Arts)
Accounting
Applied Science
Citizenship
Communication Studies
Critical Thinking
Dance
Environmental Science
General Studies
Health & Social Care
Home Economics
ICT
Leisure Studies
Music Technology
Performance Studies
Performing Arts
Perspectives on Science
Photography
Physical Education
Science
Sports Studies
Travel & Tourism
World Development

Economics=/business studies.

Business studies is what retards do because they can't do economics
Are you kidding me? No A-Levels are meant to be easy you idiots, A-level stands for ADVANCED level and they don't make them 'easy.' Yes some may be easier than others for example Drama may be easier than Maths but it still doesn't make them least respected- IT ALL DEPENDS ON WHAT YOU WANT TO DO WHEN YOU LEAVE SIXTH FORM, it's different for everyone so stop being so critical of subject choices....

People like you make me frustrated thinking that there are 'easy' subjects, some people may find these so called 'easy' subjects difficult and you're all posting on here slagging them off is pathetic.
DO WHAT SUBJECTS YOU WANT TO DO REGARDLESS.... but if you want to follow the crowd and not be individual go ahead and choose loads of science and maths based subjects like all the other people that want to get into Cambridge or Oxford!!!!!!!!! :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:
I know someone who takes five A levels and four of them are "traditional" and one of them is "English Language". None of his unis except Kent ever excluded it from the offer.
Original post by Tahooper
A-Levels which limit what you can do at university:

Art & Design (Arts)
English Language (Arts)
Film Studies (Arts)
Law (Land Economy & Law)
Media Studies (Arts)
Psychology (Arts)
Sociology (Arts)

A-Levels which should only be chosen as a fourth choice:

Accounting
Applied Science
Citizenship
Communication Studies
Critical Thinking
Dance
Environmental Science
General Studies
Health & Social Care
Home Economics
ICT
Leisure Studies
Music Technology
Performance Studies
Performing Arts
Perspectives on Science
Photography
Physical Education
Science
Sports Studies
Travel & Tourism
World Development

That is an outdated list. I've seen that before a few years ago, but universities requirements change every year. For instance Psychology is now a preferred a-level for bioscience and health care profession courses.

People just need to be really careful looking at these forums, because for different courses and different unis, they really have diffrent expectations. I think that there is a few 'easy' a-levels, but most people fail those, but they under-estimate the fact that even though they may be easier than the rest, you still have to put in a lot of work.

People of different intelligences find things easier than others, its unfair to say any a-level is easy because then it gives the impression that it is universally easy for everyone, which is not the case, its why you see so many people getting U's and E's on exams in these subjects.

Don't underestimate the 'soft' subjects!
And by the way, has Tahopper put science on that list, like not applied science, but just science?

Sciences are not soft subjects...
Reply 112
I don't think General Studies is very respected. I did it because it was compulsory at my school, but I don't even bother mentioning it when applying for things.

Critical Thinking is similar, I did that at AS (again because it was compulsory at my school), but nobody really knows what it is.
Original post by cuckoo99
well the first part of the question is just subjective.... and the least respected A levels are generaly the subjects that are just an application of another, e.g geolgy is applied geography in a sense. media studies is applied english.

Edit: another example would be psychology, psychology is not as respected as biology by universities as psychology can be seen as an application of biology. i do both of them subjects btw

Haha, it's definitely not. Geology is a pure physical science, geography is a very broad field that focuses on the interaction between people and the world, and includes some geology and some meteorology and some biology at times. Either way, both are certainly respected A-levels (geology is uncommon though which is probably why you don't hear much about it).
Original post by lukas1051
Haha, it's definitely not. Geology is a pure physical science, geography is a very broad field that focuses on the interaction between people and the world, and includes some geology and some meteorology and some biology at times. Either way, both are certainly respected A-levels (geology is uncommon though which is probably why you don't hear much about it).

oh my bad then, just never really heard of it. also was basing it on the fact that to do geology at university you dont need to take the A-Level. they would prob much prefer a selection of A-levels like Physics/Chemistry/Maths/Geogrgraphy but ye i would still see geology at A-level being an application of georgraphy, chemistry and physics
Anything that isn't:
Maths + further
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
English Literature
History
R.E.
Languages
Original post by llessur123
I'd say the least respected are:

Dance, Applied Buisness, Law, Anthropology, Archaeology, Citizenship, Communication and Culture, General Studies, Health and Social Care, Leisure Studies, Travel and Tourism, ICT, Media, PE.

Probably a few more too, but that's the ones my college offer from the top of my head. Its hard to say what subject is easy because personally, I'd fail Dance miserably yet I'm quite good at Chemistry. Easiness is subjective. I'm going to get negged because there's going to be people who study these subjects, but they aren't very respected and that's hard to disagree with. Basically anything on the blacklists, Oxbridge isn't everything but its a decent guide.

PE is actually one of the hardest A levels out there.
Original post by caiitlinz
ICT at A-Level =/= preparation for a degree in Computer Science or a career as a computer engineer.

Why not exactly? Whilst I'm sure there are an increasing number of schools offering A levels in Computer Science, most schools still operate on the ICT curriculum. Presuming you're not an ardent elitist, what A-level is more suited to a career in computer engineering at GCE level other than ICT?
Original post by jumpingjesusholycow
Why not exactly? Whilst I'm sure there are an increasing number of schools offering A levels in Computer Science, most schools still operate on the ICT curriculum. Presuming you're not an ardent elitist, what A-level is more suited to a career in computer engineering at GCE level other than ICT?

Computing.
Original post by Ferrari_1996
Computing.

lol you dense ****; have you even studied IT?

Quick Reply

Latest