The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Yes, of course they should.

People seem to be living in a dream world where thirteen year olds play with Barbies. No. They don't.

Whether or not it is wrong in your opinion, they should be able to be on the pill if they are having sex to prevent pregnancy. (As well as being educated about the spread of STIs). I'd rather see a thirteen year old on the pill enjoying her life as she has chosen it than a thirteen year old trapped with an accidental child and shunned by the ignorant side of society.

And just as an extra note, the pill can be prescribed for bad period pains aswell; not just for sex.
Reply 381
Original post by Stefan1991

Women moan loudly during sex to attract other males in the vicinity to have sex with her straight afterwards

Is that why men invented duct tape?

Original post by eelnais

People seem to be living in a dream world where thirteen year olds play with Barbies. No. They don't.

Whether or not it is wrong in your opinion, they should be able to be on the pill if they are having sex to prevent pregnancy. (As well as being educated about the spread of STIs). I'd rather see a thirteen year old on the pill enjoying her life as she has chosen it than a thirteen year old trapped with an accidental child and shunned by the ignorant side of society.

And just as an extra note, the pill can be prescribed for bad period pains aswell; not just for sex.

It's the old argument that prevention is better than a cure, except the twist here is that the cure hampers prevention. People in general think children having sex is a bad thing, but if that attitude were to change I think paedophilia laws might have to be relaxed.
Original post by 24hoursmiles
I personally think that its ridiculous! I think it's giving teens the option to have sex early thinking that its all fine because they're on the pill! With it, I think its giving them another excuse to do things which may and will affect other areas of their life, their education, social life and future. Understandably, people will argue that everyone has free will and should be able to do what they please and yes, some girls take the pill at a younger age to cope with issues such as bad acne or especially bad period pains, but 13 is young, too young in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong, I see your point but I also think that if they're going to have sex then at least this would keep pregnancy rates down. It's bit of a double edged blade. Lower pregnancy rates but also allowing girls that young do an activity which I find it hard to imagine that they're mature enough to go into knowing what they're doing. And apart from regulating periods etc(something I've heard about the pill) it also effectively encourages these kids to break the law, and it is the law.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by eelnais

They don't play with barbies, you're right and no, we don't want them having babies either but at the same time they shouldn't be allowed or encouraged to have sex either. I don't care what you say but no one that age understands sex beyond the biological and physical desire. The emotions are just too complex to understand, or for that matter even to deal with. They may want it but that doesn't mean that this is desirable. Lets face it people get hurt and that's bad enough without adding sex into the equation at that stage of their lives.

From a personal perspective, and maybe I was a slow developer, but I don't think I was ready when I was 18, let alone 13.
Reply 384
It's probably already been said, but I don't think i'll be trawling through 11 pages to find out..

The pill isn't just for contraception - it is for skin problems, intense period pains, hormonal problems or the heaviness of periods. I started on the pill when I was 13, and i'm still on it now, 9 years later. I see no problem with it, and even if it IS for contraceptive purposes, surely this is better than having thousands of underage mothers. This is 2012, we need to address issues rather than hide from them.
Original post by cloop
It's probably already been said, but I don't think i'll be trawling through 11 pages to find out..

The pill isn't just for contraception - it is for skin problems, intense period pains, hormonal problems or the heaviness of periods. I started on the pill when I was 13, and i'm still on it now, 9 years later. I see no problem with it, and even if it IS for contraceptive purposes, surely this is better than having thousands of underage mothers. This is 2012, we need to address issues rather than hide from them.

Since it's an argument put forward by people against this idea, can I ask, did going on the pill encourage you to have sex because you knew it would reduce your chances of getting pregnant? It seems some people think if you make the pill available then it'll be a sort of "official" encouragement to have sex at 13. Apologies if it's too personal a question!
Reply 386
Original post by eelnais
Of course I would rather they weren't having sex in the first place, but unfortunately that doesn't seem to be happening. Preventing this first and foremost should be more sexual education, but contraceptives should be given to girls that have made the decision to have sex. It IS a shame that children so young are getting involved with this, but I'm struggling to find any other way to change this so we might as well help them as best we can.

No pill available is meant to scare the crap out of them because they don't want to get pregnant. You just have to read the stories about teenagers using crisp packets instead of condoms, or closing their eyes during sex to avoid getting pregnant to realise that the risk of getting pregnant would deter a heck of a lot of youngsters from having sex. Heck, it's the same for adults too, how many sexual encounters only occur because the people involved had some form contraception?
Reply 387
Original post by Hopple
No pill available is meant to scare the crap out of them because they don't want to get pregnant. You just have to read the stories about teenagers using crisp packets instead of condoms, or closing their eyes during sex to avoid getting pregnant to realise that the risk of getting pregnant would deter a heck of a lot of youngsters from having sex. Heck, it's the same for adults too, how many sexual encounters only occur because the people involved had some form contraception?

People using a crisp packet for a condom have not been sexually educated. More sex education is the solution there, not getting RID of the contraception. People like that without any contraception will just have sex without it, which would spread STIs and pregnancy. That would be terrible.
Reply 388
One word: repugnent!
Reply 389
Original post by eelnais
People using a crisp packet for a condom have not been sexually educated. More sex education is the solution there, not getting RID of the contraception. People like that without any contraception will just have sex without it, which would spread STIs and pregnancy. That would be terrible.

You really think that? Would you really have sex with someone you didn't want to get pregnant from if you didn't have contraception available?
Reply 390
Original post by eelnais
I'm going by your logic with that one. You say people with access to condoms think using crisp packets are acceptable. Therefore, if there was no contraception available they wouldn't use any because that would be acceptable to them. Of course I wouldn't; I have had sexual education and am very happy on the pill and using condoms.

So if we give kids sexual education, and don't give them access to contraception, they won't have sex (using yourself as an example).
Original post by Hopple
So if we give kids sexual education, and don't give them access to contraception, they won't have sex (using yourself as an example).

Yeah, telling kids in America to practice abstinence is 100% effective!
To even think that depriving a 13 year old of the opportunity to have safe sex is going to deter them from sex altogether is a ridiculous suggestion in my opinion.
Reply 393
Original post by minimarshmallow
Yeah, telling kids in America to practice abstinence is 100% effective!

Original post by intermediary
To even think that depriving a 13 year old of the opportunity to have safe sex is going to deter them from sex altogether is a ridiculous suggestion in my opinion.

I wasn't arguing in favour of it, just pointing out why some people might.

And I notice both of you only claim that it isn't 100% effective, rather than it being ineffective, so I think that shows the debate is still open - is it better to have a lot of children having sex but not getting pregnant, or fewer children having sex but probably getting pregnant? Unless underage sex is harmless, you've still got to consider those children as in trouble, though of course not as much as children having children.
Reply 394
I firmly believe they should not have access to the pill it will just aid to create a more sexually active environment over the country also there are side effects.
Reply 395
TBH the pill is also used to stop people having heavy, painful periods as well as to prevent sex. My friend takes it who is 15, and believe me, she's not stupid enough to be using it for the other reason too.
My question is why do people think 13 years is to young to do "it" ? I am not for it obv but I just think why 13 ?

My main question is I just don't see what peoples opinions matter, shouldn't we base laws on facts and evidences ?
I don't think 13 yr olds should be having sex and I don't think it's something to be encouraged.

However, I don't think we should try to pretend it isn't happening and I don't think there should be an age restriction for the pill unless she's 12 or younger which is paedophilia depending on the age of her sexual partner. In which case social services and the police should be involved.

Another interesting question that arises from this discussion is 'from what age are we entitled to medical confidentiality?' I personally think 14/15.
Reply 398
Original post by eelnais
Why wouldn't you give them contraception? Seems a bit foolish to say, "Here are a wide range of contraceptives you COULD use, but we're not giving them to you because you're evil for wanting sex at your age." As someone below said, that doesn't work well in America. :P

I'm just pointing out that as an approach it doesn't have entirely negative outcomes. If we can agree that children having sex is bad, then denying contraception would decrease the number of children doing so, provided they were as well educated as yourself :wink:
Original post by Hopple
I wasn't arguing in favour of it, just pointing out why some people might.

And I notice both of you only claim that it isn't 100% effective, rather than it being ineffective, so I think that shows the debate is still open - is it better to have a lot of children having sex but not getting pregnant, or fewer children having sex but probably getting pregnant? Unless underage sex is harmless, you've still got to consider those children as in trouble, though of course not as much as children having children.

I doubt that allowing 13 year old's access to the pill will increase the number having sex at that age. Having access to contraception, in my opinion, isn't going to make you suddenly decide it's time to have sex. You either want to have sex at 13 or you don't.
As long as the necessary checks are carried out beforehand- blood pressure etc, I see no reason as to why they shouldn't be able to get the pill. I also find it quite ironic that society is up in arms when a girl of that age falls pregnant...yet at the same time wants to withhold contraception...
If we're against them getting pregnant AND we're against them using contraception, then I see only one way to solve this. The only option available now is to invest in millions of steel, barb-wired chastity belts and forcibly attach them to every under 16 year old vagina and penis in the country.

Latest

Trending

Trending