The Student Room Group

What are the Easiest and least respected A levels?

Scroll to see replies

Out of my four subjects, Law and Religious Education (Philosophy and Ethics) are the two subjects that I understand a lot easier, compared to my Politics and History. I've seen that Law and Politics come up quite frequently on the "black lists" or the "least respected" lists, and the other two don't. I guess it does all depend on the person who is studying the subjects, but when people say Politics is easy, it might just me who doesn't fully get it, but I feel like face-palming myself every time I enter the classroom, and History for that matter.

I don't think you can really say which subject is the easiest, because people who actually take said-subject may completely disagree because it all comes down to the person and what they enjoy... I, for instance, wouldn't go to my friend, who is currently doing art, and tell them "Oh, Art? That's so easy, you should try doing one of my subjects blahblahblah" because I know that art can be hard, even though it may seem like an easy A-Level. Same goes for every other "easy" A-Level out there. I don't think you can compare Maths to History, because they take different skills etc.

... In the end, I'm not really saying that there are certain subjects which *ARE* easy, and that while SOME may be least-respected, they can still take you far. Like, I saw someone post how Law is least respected, and someone replied with a comment about solicitors. It is true - how do you expect solicitors to gain knowledge and become well-respected in their field of work if Law is seen as easy and least respected? :/

Also, not posting this for people to go on, it's just my view that not all a-levels are that easy and require work, some maybe more than others.
Original post by the mezzil
I found A level Archaeology a lot harder than I am finding A level history is now, but maybe that is because I did Archaeology in year 10 so wasn't intellectually mature, but still the point still stands.

Different people have different strengths and weaknesses. I was just saying that History is preferable to Archaeology/Law because the former teaches more analysis, essay writing skills, etc than the latter ones.
Anyway if you had been doing Archaeology now rather than in yr 10 then there's a good chance you'd find History to be the harder one.
Original post by blue-orangutan
I did double Art GCSE, and am now doing Art A level.
Double Art was far from calming, far from listening to a bit of music and painting, nearly had a breakdown!
As for Art A level, I'd say it was equally stressful compared with double art GCSE. I get really annoyed whenever art is called a doss subject, because it's so much more than painting a pretty picture, you have to think about everything in so much detail, use initiative, research, integrate your other subjects, and juggling it with other A levels is a task in itself.
I also do English literature and I'd say art requires a lot more intelligence/thinking but that might just be me...
As for least respected I'd say General Studies, we're forced to do it at our school and very few universities seem to accept it.

You did DOUBLE award GCSE Art? that's crazy! I just did single, that's all they offer in our school. Though we all have to do double award science. Do you want to go to Art college, or have an Art related job? If you don't mid me asking. :smile:
Original post by ScienceConfusion
You did DOUBLE award GCSE Art? that's crazy! I just did single, that's all they offer in our school. Though we all have to do double award science. Do you want to go to Art college, or have an Art related job? If you don't mid me asking. :smile:

We had to do double award science at my school too, cause of this fast track thing where some people did core science in year 10 then additional science in year 11, I hated it, got an A in core but a C in additional because I just couldn't be bothered!
I'm not sure at the moment to be honest, but art's just what I was most interested in at the time, if anyone asks me about double art now I always advice them against it, it's just not worth the hassle! I came out with an A* and an A, and a lot of anxiety (sounds melodramatic but I've got the art teacher from hell...)
I wouldn't mind having an art related job/doing art at uni, but I think I'd prefer to do like a joint honours type thing because careers that involve being creative are so competitive so I wouldn't want to be completely reliant on my art skills if you get me :smile:
Original post by Ferrari_1996
Computing.

As I said, only a minority of schools offer computing at A level.

I'm not doubting that computing is a better subject for someone looking for a prospective career in computer engineering, but most schools don't offer it, so failing that the widely held mainstream alternative is undoubtedly ICT.
I did Computing AS level and it's a complete load of ****. The syllabus is crap, at least under AQA and everyone seemed to be failing. A2 coursework is apparently a bitch too.

And i'm doing a computer science degree come september. A level computing is almost as useless a preparation for a computer science degree as ICT.
Reply 146
*waiting for someone to demand r.s is easy*
IT REALLY ISNT...
I do sciences and maths as well, and I find r.s the hardest, especially because you do a HUGE philosophy module and a New Testament module :frown:
Drama isn't respected but it isn't easy, the practical is lots of fun but so much hard work and unlike most subjects, you can't just get by with learning a script and learning how to do stuff, it's like Art - to do well, you need to have talent in acting and writing for the practical. The theory side is horrible, there is such a precise way that you need to answer the question and it really isn't explained in the question.

English is a bit more respected but I actually find that a lot easier than my other two subjects because I've always had a bit of a flair for writing and analyzing literature, but that's subjective.

Psychology might not be respected by some people but although I find it really easy to understand the work, again because of a natural flair, there is so much to learn and remember that people assume it's a lot easier than it is. People say it's just "memorizing essays" and, to an extent, it is, but people don't realize just how much information is crammed into those essays, how hard that information is to retain and how many essays there are to remember!
Reply 148
Original post by britash
*waiting for someone to demand r.s is easy*
IT REALLY ISNT...
I do sciences and maths as well, and I find r.s the hardest, especially because you do a HUGE philosophy module and a New Testament module :frown:

Well, my friend does RE and literally does no work whatsoever and she got a C :confused:
brb i'm going to do them all and then report back in 2 years
Original post by madders94
Drama isn't respected but it isn't easy, the practical is lots of fun but so much hard work and unlike most subjects, you can't just get by with learning a script and learning how to do stuff, it's like Art - to do well, you need to have talent in acting and writing for the practical. The theory side is horrible, there is such a precise way that you need to answer the question and it really isn't explained in the question.

I agree, I take Drama and it's definitely not easy, it's just not academic. That doesn't make it easy!
Reply 151
Original post by katles
Urgh I can completely relate to this! It's soo draining and sometimes I wish I didn't take it because the examining board can be so restricting when trying to come up with creative ideas for final pieces.

Yeah, it really pisses me off when you spend ages doing a detailed drawing or painting and your art teacher is constantly in your ear saying it isn't good enough, because she just so happens to like modern art and abstract pieces. While the girl next to you earns an A with no talent and a camera. Ahhh I could go on all day about my hate for a level art.
Reply 152
Original post by Ferrari_1996
"you need a better attitude!" Is that directed to me? If not, who is it directed to? Use the quote function if you are addressing a particular person.

I meant in general! It wasn't aimed at anyone.
Reply 153
Original post by ThatPerson
erm...Travel & Tourism, General Studies, Photography, Critical Thinking, etc

Photography is an A-level?? since when were hobbies turned into a-levels? :confused:
Reply 154
Original post by Gales
Well, my friend does RE and literally does no work whatsoever and she got a C :confused:

It depends on the exam and what board theyre with
the AS modules are easy but the A2 ones are really difficult
Original post by emclme
Yeah, it really pisses me off when you spend ages doing a detailed drawing or painting and your art teacher is constantly in your ear saying it isn't good enough, because she just so happens to like modern art and abstract pieces. While the girl next to you earns an A with no talent and a camera. Ahhh I could go on all day about my hate for a level art.

A-level art destroyed my interest in art. I got as far as completing AS, quit, and haven't drawn since.
Respectability and ease are different things, and ease is different from 'easy to get good marks in'. Take art, for example. Ended up being more work than my other three subjects (English, maths, physics) put together.
On top of that, it's not a subject you can do well in purely through graft and enthusiasm. If you don't have a certain level of natural ability, you won't get top marks. There aren't many subjects around like that. And then you have to ask whether mountains of easy work still counts as being easy, such that getting a B in art can be done 'easily'.

The question is too vague to be answered objectively.
Original post by cyfer
Economics=/business studies.

Business studies is what retards do because they can't do economics

There's about 1 unit which crosses over, other than that they're seperate subjects you mong
the good old stand bys of 'General Studies ' and 'Critical Thinking' as neither of them require subject knowledge beyond level 2
Accounting
Applied Science
Citizenship
Communication Studies
Critical Thinking
Dance
Environmental Science
General Studies
Health & Social Care
Home Economics
ICT
Leisure Studies