The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Deyesy
I've been texting a girl one and a half months now and we haven't met up. Just grow some balls and set a time and a date...

and you never will because she knows she can contact you whenever she wants.

Why would she wanna meet up if you haven't made it clear that your time is valuable? thats what friendzoning is and you're in it.

Best thing to do: cut your losses and move on.
Original post by kat91s
Bad idea!

If I stop hearing from a guy, I assume he isn't interested. I don't wait around and I don't play games, and I don't want a guy who comes across as flaky or unreliable.

Only ever be yourself.

This exactly. The first sign of game playing and I'm totally put off.
Original post by After7

Why would she wanna meet up if you haven't made it clear that your time is valuable? thats what friendzoning is and you're in it.

You have a warped view of things. She was probably too shy to make a move and was waiting for something to happen, but hey, sounds like she's better off without a jerk such as yourself.
Reply 43
Original post by After7

No mate. I will and am next month and that's because I don't play games like you.

I'm friendzoned yet she makes an effort to talk to me? Yeah. Like Sophisticated said, you have a warped view on things.
(edited 11 years ago)
You could do that. And it might work on some insecure girls.

But it doesn't make you a better man/person. So if you're looking for "getting girls", go ahead, but realise that you're just holding yourself back, and being manipulative in the process.
Original post by After7
Ive been talking to this girl for like 2 weeks now but she texts me good morning everyday and attempts to make small talk random like asking how are you etc. I'm pretty sure thats a quick trip to the friendzone and replying makes you look needy sometimes so I'm gonna ignore her texts for the next few days.

Do you think its true that if you make yourself less accessible it increases attraction?

haha thats the dumbest thing i heard all day.
Reply 46
Original post by Deyesy
No mate. I will and am next month and that's because I don't play games like you.

I'm friendzoned yet she makes an effort to talk to me? Yeah. Like Sophisticated said, you have a warped view on things.

next month? lol and within that time only a hundered excuses can prop up even if she does like you.

But good luck man let us know how it goes.
Original post by After7
Ive been talking to this girl for like 2 weeks now but she texts me good morning everyday and attempts to make small talk random like asking how are you etc. I'm pretty sure thats a quick trip to the friendzone and replying makes you look needy sometimes so I'm gonna ignore her texts for the next few days.

Do you think its true that if you make yourself less accessible it increases attraction?

Don't play games. How on earth does replying make you seem needy? If she's trying to friend-zone you, let her. Why try and force a relationship that one party is disinterested in? If she's friend-zoning you, you're clearly not compatible.

Alternatively, she's not friend-zoning you and is trying to keep up conversation because she's interested. If you ignore her, you might confuse her or imply you're not interested in her. Why **** with someone's feelings?

Why the hell can't people just communicate openly and honestly. What is with all this game-playing and second-guessing.

And why are some people so obsessed with this friend-zone thing. If someone has friend-zoned you, move on. It wasn't meant to be. Don't fight tooth and nail to stay in the sex/romance zone. It's not worth it and it's just prolonging the inevitable. Give the other person some respect and accept their feelings and decisions.
Original post by After7
calm down. We haven't even been on a date yet, I don't owe her anything at this point and it sets a bad precedent even if I do end up going out with her.

Not like I want to play these type of games but if I have to then whatever.

i agree that when you haven't even been on a date it is a bit of fun at this stage, harmless- and its a way to find out what the other person wants. but you need to get balance. to much of this is cruel. if you do tease the person this way, try not to prolong it. most of the advice on here is good, but there are the odd bits that are not good. probably written by sociopaths who enjoy tormenting people with no empathy. or just dont want you to get a girlfried. :smile:
Reply 49
No it will make her bored and ignore you back why would you choose to complicate things?
Reply 50
I can say from experience that ignoring text messages, phone calls and just generally failing to invest time and effort in a girl and her advances does wonders. Having a girl "like you" is not some magical barrier or finish line that you cross and can claim that you've "won"....there's more to it than that. You can still **** it up any minute. If you're too available and interested then SHE WILL lose interest in you, regardless of how much she liked you a week ago. When you're in a relationship that's when you become dependable and start putting her first, not when you're in the opening stages ffs.

But this is just advice. This is simply anecdotal evidence and things I've picked up from experience. Don't get all bum-sore and irate just because you don't like reading it put down so bluntly.
Reply 51
Original post by Dark Horse
I can say from experience that ignoring text messages, phone calls and just generally failing to invest time and effort in a girl and her advances does wonders. Having a girl "like you" is not some magical barrier or finish line that you cross and can claim that you've "won"....there's more to it than that. You can still **** it up any minute. If you're too available and interested then SHE WILL lose interest in you, regardless of how much she liked you a week ago. When you're in a relationship that's when you become dependable and start putting her first, not when you're in the opening stages ffs.

But this is just advice. This is simply anecdotal evidence and things I've picked up from experience. Don't get all bum-sore and irate just because you don't like reading it put down so bluntly.

i know its already been stressed but this seems true. Im not ignoring her on purpose anymore i just cant be bothered with it, yet she always the one to initiate text convos with things like 'missing me?' or 'how are you?' etc
Reply 52
Original post by After7
i know its already been stressed but this seems true. Im not ignoring her on purpose anymore i just cant be bothered with it, yet she always the one to initiate text convos with things like 'missing me?' or 'how are you?' etc

She obviously likes you. Now stop playing games :facepalm:
Original post by After7

Well there's making yourself less accessible and looking like you're not interested or just plain rude. This is what I think:

1. If a guy left the reply a day, I'd think that he has his own life and is independant rather than if he replied straight away which might suggest a bit of neediness.
2. If you leave it any longer than a day, I'd find it rude or showing he's not interested - after all it only takes 5 mins to text (and it's happened to me before).
3. If you did leave it longer, it's ok as long as you put 'sorry for not replying, been super busy'
4. Don't ignore her reply once you start having a texting conversation. That kinda shows you can only muster up enough effort to send one text and that she's not worth it. If you do have a texting conversation, it shows that you make time for her.

This applies to both sexes btw! I once briefly dated a guy who would send a lovely text, so I'd reply a bit later, then he wouldn't reply for about 3 days. That repeated itself for about 2 weeks and really started to piss me off!

P.s. it sounds like she quite likes you or at least wants to have a nice conversation or two. If she wants to be friends, so be it; if she wants to take it further, don't put her off by overanalysing when you send texts. Do what feels natural - if you can't be arsed to send her a text that's telling you something.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 54
Original post by Deyesy
She obviously likes you. Now stop playing games :facepalm:

I asked her out, agreed to meetup this week but now says she's got exams but is willing to meet next week. Which sounds like excuses to me not like exams just suddenly pop up. I'm not going to waste my time and end up being a texting buddy.
Reply 55
Original post by After7
I asked her out, agreed to meetup this week but now says she's got exams but is willing to meet next week. Which sounds like excuses to me not like exams just suddenly pop up. I'm not going to waste my time and end up being a texting buddy.

How is it an excuse? Exams are important and she obviously just wants to focus on them. You're deluded... :facepalm:
Original post by After7

If she'd said she's busy and didn't offer a new time to meet up I'd agree. Although she suggested meeting up another time - keep things going and try to meet up with her then, if she flakes then move on.
Original post by After7
Its ok, decided Im not going to pursue this incase she rejects me which is most likely to happen considering we've already been talking via text way too long without meeting up.

Me and my current boyfriend spoke to each other via calls and texts for 7 months before meeting - you clearly aren't serious or a patient person.
Reply 58
Original post by Pan's-Labyrinth
Me and my current boyfriend spoke to each other via calls and texts for 7 months before meeting - you clearly aren't serious or a patient person.

I am patient, its just very rare that something actually comes out of talking to someone for over a month without meeting up as her interest is likely to get lower. She'll obviously get comfortable just seeing me as an 'online friend' eventually so rather cut her off before that happens.
OP, are you interested in her or not? You haven't said anything about that, only that she's desperate and 'nothing special'. If you're honestly not interested, tell her that. If you are, enough with these texting games already, and ask her out.

Latest

Trending

Trending