The Student Room Group

Naturally thin: a myth?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
yes my sister is 'naturally thin' and she eats so much.. I wonder how she does it-.-
It's not a myth

Naturally thin usually means very high metabolism
Reply 122
what a silly thread.
Reply 123
I'd be very interested to hear a typical days eating from some of the people here saying they eat 'loads' but remain thin, I'd bet dollars to donuts it would total up at well below 2000/2500 cals. Eating a few bars of chocolate and a few packs of crisps does not equal eating loads, it's only a few hundred calories, less calories than 1 good square meal.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 124
Original post by Jono404
I'd be very interested to hear a typical days eating from some of the people here saying they eat 'loads' but remain thin, I'd bet dollars to donuts it would total up at well below 2000/2500 cals. Eating a few bars of chocolate and a few packs of crisps does not equal eating loads, it's only a few hundred calories, less calories than 1 good square meal.

Spot on.
I'm naturally skinny and I hate it. Wish it was a myth.
Reply 126
I am naturally thin and I do not exercise AT ALL!
But I don't really like being thin and really do not understand the hype about being 'skinny' ... :/
Watch this documentary, it is quite interesting.
Why are thin people not fat - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6-A0iHSdcA
I don't think it's a myth. I've noticed for years that some people can eat like horses and be tiny while others start putting on weight after one Christmas. The rate of metabolism varies from person to person. Some people have a faster one than others.

Sometimes people over estimate it though. I've known people who eat junk food everyday to say 'I'm just lucky, I can eat whatever I want', but then a couple of years later it's caught up with them. Depends on the individual.
Reply 128
Being 'naturally skinny' means you have an ectomorph body type. However, it is impossible for anyone to eat 'loads' (by that I mean over 2500 calories/day) and stay slim. Take a look at this diagram, it represents natural builds (as yes you can be a mixture of two, possibly three). becker3d.jpg
Reply 129
I dunno, maybe. I feel like I eat a lot with not a lot of exercise yet stay slim at the same weight. But maybe it's cause I eat little things more often. Like if I go out to a restaurant with someone, I won't be able to finish the meal yet whoever I'm with will, but in an hours time I'll be hungry again and they'll still be stuffed.
Original post by Jono404
Does that work? I've heard of people using flaxseed oil before. I get a lot of mine from shakes with oats, whey protein and milk, around 800cals a shake. Sometimes though if I'm tired I'll fall asleep before my last meal or shake which is the difference between a calorie surplus and and defecit sometimes.

I'm not too sure I'm yet to try it myself (just bought some olive oil today actually) but I already eat a fair amount so adding another 1000 healthy calories on top of that can't do any harm.

Perhaps you could try getting up a bit earlier or eating with less intervals so your not eating right up until you go to sleep. Get your shakes in during the day and then leave the whole foods later, maybe that way if you do forgot the damage won't be as 'severe'.
Original post by buildalegohouse
Its not a case of genes, but rather metabolism. If you have a good metabolism, your body burns up fat quicker etc. I'm not sure if metabolism is something you inherit, but to be honest, some people are naturally thin, so as far as I'm concerned, it isn't a myth. I know plenty of people who eat ridiculous amounts of food, try to put weight on, and never do.

Actually I'm pretty sure that is a myth, the differences between an individuals metabolism are so minimal that unless they have a thyroid problem or something, it won't make that much difference to your weight at all.

Those who are naturally slim either:

Have a physical condition such as overactice thyroid.

Consume a lot less calories than a bigger person would. I.e myself. I'm naturally thin because I naturally don't have a larger appetite :wink:

Or they are very active people, and although they eat loads they are constantly doing something. Can't even sit still I had a friend like this, she ate as much as an overweight person but she was the most active person I've ever known. She couldn't even walk slowly.

If you say otherwise you are either telling fibs or you've wrongly observed.
I do think it is a myth, it is very rare that people can actually eat loads and not gain weight.
I think it comes from that fact that people say 'I eat what I want and I'm still skinny.' Well, you don't have to watch what you're eating all the time to be thin. It's just that eating what you want does not mean you're overeating or eating a lot, you're probably actually just eating a normal amount, but people take it to mean that you pig out on everything and still don't gain weight. In reality, skinny people eat less than average, just probably without realising/not on purpose.
People also tend to do exercise without realising. Like your friend, she might walk home everyday but she probably doesn't count it as exercise because it's not strenuous and she does it without thinking.
Original post by Jono404

Agree.

A lot of people see a thin person eating some crisps and then chocolate and think 'how do they do it?'. When in reality they'll eat **** all for their subsequent meal.
I used to be skinny and used to think I ate loads. Always got the comments about being slim which I replied but I eat loads of food.

Started weight training two years ago and then I realised what 'eating loads' actually means.

I'm in not doubt that some people find it harder to gain fat i.e naturally skinny, 'hardgainers' I live with one and he said the exact says the exact same thing. But it's lolworthy the amount of skinny people who say they 'eat loads' and 'live off junk food'. First, junk food or not, calories in vs calories out, doesn't matter what you eat. Second, majority of those people think they eat loads but really don't. I know, I used to be one of them.
Its what people eat, not how much they eat of it.. no?
Original post by heyAmy
So you hear of these people who 'eat loads' and 'do no exercise' but claim that their slim physique is natural and they've got good genes.
Personally, I have no idea how this could be possible.
What do you think? Can this be possible? Is there such thing as 'naturally skinny'?

I eat quite a bit, not 'loads' as you've put but I can get through a full English yet I'm as thin as a twig, its not really uncommon...and its not 'good genes' either its just high metabolism.
I have been thin my entire life, and I have always been borderline underweight. I have always done a lot of excercise too, except for a while a few years back when I was ill for a long time. It turns out I had Coeliac Disease, and doctors said that was probably preventing me from absorbing as much as I should have. So I suppose someone could be naturally thin if they had a fast metabolism (if that is a thing), and perhaps some sort of dietary disorder as I said. The way I see it, though, as long as someone is not unhealthily thin, it shouldnt matter how thin they are and how they became that thin.
A typical day for me in terms of food consumption would be:
7:30AM Breakfast - 2 weetabixes, 2 slices of toast + boiled egg
1PM Lunch - 3 ham, cheese, and lettece sandwiches, packet of crisps, two chocolate bars, banana
5:30PM - full dinner (e.g. curry, spaghetti bolegnase, sausage and mash, fish and chips...), then cake or apple pie or custard slice or strawberries and ice cream or something for pudding
8PM - packet of crisps, apple

Does this seem like not enough? Because this is a typical day for me, and I am really really skinny. Also, I do little to no exercise (though I plan on starting to go to the gym when my A2 exams are over).
Reply 139
I eat like a horse and always stay skinny.The most exercise I do is lifting a fork to my mouth yet I have friends who just look at a cake and put on
the pounds.It depends on the person

Quick Reply

Latest