The Student Room Group

What are the Easiest and least respected A levels?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Difficulty is subjective, but also if I were to say, for example "Oh yeah sociology must be the easiest" what value does that have ? I have never sat in a sociology class and wouldn't know. (besides the point, my friend assures me sociology is far from easy anyway and I believe her!)

People could say what they think is easy to them, but its understandable that we can't speak for others. Everyone has individual differences :smile:

Now respect is something which isn't as subjective unfortunately... and I'm presuming this means in relation to university admissions, because those are really the only people who are going to analyse your subject choices and combinations and essentially judge whether they qualify you for their respect.

If you're looking for an answer, I'd say more practical subjects like Art, PE, Textiles among others tend to be labelled as the "less respected" ones (see llessur123's post just a few above this one for more). However, I can imagine its important to note that if you're looking to actually study things like Art, Sport or Textiles at university, then this "respect labelling" probably doesn't apply - although your combinations will probably then become more important. e.g. my sister studied Art at A level and got all her offers for good universities, although she actually went on to study Fine Art. In that case it's certainly useful and an advantage to have those subjects otherwise labelled as "non-respectful".

(Let me just throw another personal opinion of mine in there and say sometimes the subjects people think are easier tend to work out as the harder ones to obtain the really high grades for! Again, though that's just what I've been told.)

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that everything is relative to the situation. :smile:
Reply 181
Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey
Because they end in ology.

haha biOLOGY isnt easy
ICT would probably be considered a lot weaker if Computing was more widely available at Colleges/Sixth Form. I wanted to do Computing but my Sixth Form, despite being a "Maths and Computing" academy didn't offer it, so alas I had to choose ICT. Which really is very easy.
Computing isn't easy, however it does absolutely nothing to prepare you for real world programming. What makes it hard is the amount of definitions you need to learn, such as "Define Computing, Computability, Computation" (yes they are 3 different things). Which 4 components must a problem contain? Define Problem solving. What's a pixel? What does Nyquist's theorem state? bla bla bla You have to recite them word for word.

Very little is done to assess actual programming skill, it's more about how much crap you can memorise and regurgitate. I revised for my comp1 exam tomorrow by watching the birds in my garden, they are really good at crapping and regurgitating.
Original post by LSD
There's one up here in Scotland called creative cake! You need to ice cakes for the exam!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

I'd get a U because those cakes would not get iced :eating:
biology, chemistry, physics, music, maths, further maths, english, history, geography, economics, languages, philosophy are all respected

then there are the lesser respected subjects that can be good for certain uni courses, but shouldnt be taken without back up from the list above - dt, art, psychology (probably somewhere between the two), business studies

just about anything else is going to be ignored by unis - specifically critical thinking and general studies - other subjects not yet listed could be useful if you know where your life is headed eg photography, music tech etc. but i wouldn't advise taking more than one of these, and if you are aiming for a top uni i.e. oxbridge or similar, don't take them at all

but as a warning i would research the uni courses that you are vaguely interested in before selecting any alevels
Reply 186
Original post by Deank
Different Universitys / Colleges respect different A Levels.

For example, why would somebody who took say Drama and Music want to apply for Cambridge / Oxford? Drama school on the other hand would respect these A Levels a lot.

someone who took music may want to apply to cambridge because they have one of the best music courses in the world and the best in the uk according to league tables.
Reply 187
I personally find geology an enjoyable and easy subject, the second module lives up to the dull expectations of 'rocks' but learning about volcanoes and earthquakes is always good, ive been on loads of trips aswell that have been really benificial
It really winds me up when people slate A Level law - how on earth is a 15/16 yr old expected to know that universities don't favour the subject?!
In fact, at that age it would seem quite logical to pick law if they wanted to become a lawyer.

After reading through this thread it seems like there's no hope for any of us anyway.
Original post by littlemissmidget123
biology, chemistry, physics, music, maths, further maths, english, history, geography, economics, languages, philosophy are all respected

then there are the lesser respected subjects that can be good for certain uni courses, but shouldnt be taken without back up from the list above - dt, art, psychology (probably somewhere between the two), business studies

just about anything else is going to be ignored by unis - specifically critical thinking and general studies - other subjects not yet listed could be useful if you know where your life is headed eg photography, music tech etc. but i wouldn't advise taking more than one of these, and if you are aiming for a top uni i.e. oxbridge or similar, don't take them at all

but as a warning i would research the uni courses that you are vaguely interested in before selecting any alevels

What about English Language A Level? Is it respected?
Original post by JulietheCat

uhm im not sure id guess so - it certainly doesn't fall into the not respected by unis category
Original post by JulietheCat

Yes...my friend got accepted into Oxford with it, and I got accepted into University of Birmingham (which is high on the list for English) :smile:
Original post by cuckoo99
well the first part of the question is just subjective.... and the least respected A levels are generaly the subjects that are just an application of another, e.g geolgy is applied geography in a sense. media studies is applied english.

Edit: another example would be psychology, psychology is not as respected as biology by universities as psychology can be seen as an application of biology. i do both of them subjects btw

Geology applied Geography have you even studied it mate and Psychology applied Biology do not think so do not care if you've studied them, you have clearly failed to understand what they really involve and I do not say this to be rude.
As for Geology is more closer to Physic and Chemistry (Geo-Chemistry, Geo-Physics) yes it may look at Physical Geography but has way more science than Geography, personally find them more different than similar. Just saying............
Reply 193
I am now doing History, Psychology, Biology, ICT and English Literature at AS level!

Nobody can say that ICT and Psychology are easy subjects. ICT is very time consuming subject and requires a lot of detail and hard work to achieve high grades.

Depending on exam boards, Psychology is a very difficult exam, I just sat my exam today, and I had to memorise 10 Core studies each containing 5 sub sections worth of detail. I don't understand how either subjects can be considered 'least respected' or 'easy'.

It wouldn't be ADVANCED LEVEL if they offered easy subjects.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by hannah60000
Geology applied Geography have you even studied it mate and Psychology applied Biology do not think so do not care if you've studied them, you have clearly failed to understand what they really involve and I do not say this to be rude.
As for Geology is more closer to Physic and Chemistry (Geo-Chemistry, Geo-Physics) yes it may look at Physical Geography but has way more science than Geography, personally find them more different than similar. Just saying............

i agree i may be wrong about the geology but i stand true to the fact that psychology is an application of biology as biology is the study of the body and the functioning of biological organism's. psycholgoy is the study of the mind. the functioning of Humans is dependent on the mind. thus the mind is part of the body. Though you can argue that psychology branches away from biology and science through its Sociology themes though all these social ideologies are apparant because of the way humans have developed via evolution. you can go on to say Biology is an application of Chemistry and Chemistry is an application of Physics and Physics is an application of MATHS. you treat the word application like it is a bad thing which is the thing i dont understand :s-smilie:?
so Everyone in the field of medicine and biomedical science are girls....?

Medicine is all about the Chemistry A-level.

Original post by dr.phalange
It really winds me up when people slate A Level law - how on earth is a 15/16 yr old expected to know that universities don't favour the subject?!
In fact, at that age it would seem quite logical to pick law if they wanted to become a lawyer.

They could do some research into it. It's not hard to find out, everyone I know that wanted to be a lawyer managed to find out they shouldn't do it at A-level.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Раскольников
Medicine is all about the Chemistry A-level.

They could do some research into it. It's not hard to find out, everyone I know that wanted to be a lawyer managed to find out they shouldn't do it at A-level.

so doctors dont need to know anything about the body? only the chemicals? your thinking of pharmacy mate and even that requires biological knowledge
so doctors dont need to know anything about the body? only the chemicals? your thinking of pharmacy mate and even that requires biological knowledge

They couldn't learn anything about the body at university perhaps? Clearly Biology helps but in many cases it is not necessary (or at least not as important as Chemistry).

You can see on this list that Chemistry is more important:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_A_Level_Requirements
I take two contrasting subjects - media studies and physics. Which is harder? Media studies, without a shadow of a doubt. It's unbearably ironic when my physics 'pals' slate me for taking the subject.
Original post by Раскольников

Hardly think every single law student/lawyer knew what they wanted to be at that age.
Yes, a handful may have been set on doing law at uni, but there's no way at that age you can be expected to decide on your career path.

Quick Reply

Latest