The Student Room Group

I have extremely itchy legs upon getting out of the shower. Please help

hi TSR,

For the last couple of years I have been experiencing itchyness upon getting out of the shower, particularly on my legs. I have tried using a variety of different soaps, including neutral shower gels with no aromas etc, different ways of applying the soaps from shower buns to plain hands, different water pressures, different temperatures, different ways of drying myself and different lengths of showers.

whatever I have tried, I become very itchy in the leg region for up to 45 minutes after starting to dry myself, to the extent I often end up on the floor in a ball trying to cover as much of my body as I can. I have even been late for school because I have been too preoccupied with my legs to cope with leaving on time, and I can get quite distressed, often crying and feeling angry withmyself. Once I have even made myself bleed trying to itch.

i did think at one point it was a soap, from Lush cosmetics, that triggered it, but this seems a bit unlikely. something else to note, I am 17 right now, so when this started happening, i was developing leg hair. Could it be the issue? has anybody had any experience of this problem? i was thinking of waxing my legs, although this would be quite extreme. Should I seriously consider this?

If anyone could help, i would be very grateful.

(anon or delete please)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Wait.. Male or Female?
Reply 2
male
Reply 3
Shrink wrap your legs before getting into the shower. Problem solved.
You've mentioned trying all sorts of products when you're in the shower but what about when you get out? Any moisturisers or anything? Baby oil may help.
I have a nightmare with my legs, particularly when getting out of the shower. Try doublebase moisturiser for a while and see if it makes a difference.
Reply 6
please, can anybody offer any help please?
Reply 7
sorry didn't see those two above before posting!
Reply 8
Original post by sliceofcake
You've mentioned trying all sorts of products when you're in the shower but what about when you get out? Any moisturisers or anything? Baby oil may help.

I have tried moisturisers, both intense ones and those without aromas (ie naturalish ones). I have also tried after-sun lotion. The problem is, they may work once or twice, but then after that they don't seem to have any effect.

Original post by letsdothetimewarpagain
I have a nightmare with my legs, particularly when getting out of the shower. Try doublebase moisturiser for a while and see if it makes a difference.

doublebase... noted :smile: thanks both of you
E45 cream, from Boots or a drugstore. It has no perfume in it at all, so it won't sting at all. Aside from that, doctors!
Reply 10
Sodium laureth sulfate is a common ingredient in most soaps, as it's the agent that causes them to lather. Perhaps you have an allergy to this ingredient and you could try some soaps without it? If this doesn't work, see your doctor and they could probably get you to see either a dermatologist or an allergy clinic.
Original post by Anonymous

doublebase... noted :smile: thanks both of you

If that fails go to the drs, mine referred me to a dermatologist and also gave me stuff powerful enough to at least give my legs a chance to heal whilst trying to find the cause of the problem
Reply 12
You could try going to Neals Yard Remedies, they have some of the best skincare things out there :yep:

Have you tried the aloe vera gel you can get from Holland & Barrett? I use it to moisturise my knuckles in the winter when they get cold and rough.

Like this or similar:

21593065.jpg
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 13
hi TSR,

For the last couple of years I have been experiencing itchyness upon getting out of the shower, particularly on my legs. I have tried using a variety of different soaps, including neutral shower gels with no aromas etc, different ways of applying the soaps from shower buns to plain hands, different water pressures, different temperatures, different ways of drying myself and different lengths of showers.

whatever I have tried, I become very itchy in the leg region for up to 45 minutes after starting to dry myself, to the extent I often end up on the floor in a ball trying to cover as much of my body as I can. I have even been late for school because I have been too preoccupied with my legs to cope with leaving on time, and I can get quite distressed, often crying and feeling angry withmyself. Once I have even made myself bleed trying to itch.

i did think at one point it was a soap, from Lush cosmetics, that triggered it, but this seems a bit unlikely. something else to note, I am 17 right now, so when this started happening, i was developing leg hair. Could it be the issue? has anybody had any experience of this problem? i was thinking of waxing my legs, although this would be quite extreme. Should I seriously consider this?

If anyone could help, i would be very grateful.

(anon or delete please)

What age are you? It sounds as if you might have Eczema, although it more often comes on as a child - have you had itching before now?

If you do have Eczema, there are a range of possibilities but you can start by using dermatological products for showering and (as others have said) E45 immediately after you dry. You should avoid all products that aren't very suitable for sensitive skin. Are you using shampoo in the shower? That might be enough to kick it off.

One of the key things about eczema is that heat is a trigger. Avoid making the room too warm and avoid the water being too hot. If you get irritation, have something ready like a gel pack with ice in it - apply it swiftly to the inflamed areas and that should reduce the irritation immediately.

There are stronger remedies like anti-histamine and steroid treatments if these basic steps fail.

Do you smoke, drink alcohol or caffeine? They all contribute to sensitivity.

Diet issues can also play a part - a great many people have a sensitivity to dairy products and you can reduce your intake of cheese, milk, yoghurt, etc as a test, to see if it improves. If it does, try to use dairy substitutes.

Some people are sensitive to stress in the skin and if you are anxious at present it may be contributing.
Reply 14
Perhaps it's the water itself? My boyfriend really struggles with hard water now we have moved to a hard water area.

Also try turning the heat down. I'd recommend the coldest shower you can bear, even with no heat at all, and see how you feel afterwards.

Aloe vera gel might help but you need to get really good-quality stuff as most include chemicals from the aloe latex (the rind) which are irritants. I know some products made with just the inner-leaf gel, organically-grown, where the aloe gel is actually the main ingredient in the moisturiser, so it's amazing stuff. They also do a soap too that's suitable for sensitive skin. PM me if you'd want to try them out and I'll point you to them.

Alternatively coconut oil which is a great skin soother and moisturiser, it's also antifungal and antibacterial so will help fight any problems within your skin you may have. Again get good-quality stuff, cold-pressed or raw if possible. I get one from Holland and Barratt that's the works- organic, raw, extra-virgin, but it's over £16. Bear in mind it'll last you for months and months though.

Or apple cider vinegar, again from Holland and Barratt, just apply with a cotton wool pad to your legs, diluted if you prefer. It may sting and redden the first few times you use it but it's really good for the skin, cleansing and soothing it, it's the number one thing my boyfriend uses for his eczema and I use it twice a day on my skin to stop it breaking out too. You have to use apple cider vinegar though, not regular vinegar, haha :smile:

Hope this helps a bit x let me know how you get on.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by najinaji
Sodium laureth sulfate is a common ingredient in most soaps, as it's the agent that causes them to lather. Perhaps you have an allergy to this ingredient and you could try some soaps without it? If this doesn't work, see your doctor and they could probably get you to see either a dermatologist or an allergy clinic.

That's interesting, i will check my products to see if they contain that. Thanks,
Original post by letsdothetimewarpagain
If that fails go to the drs, mine referred me to a dermatologist and also gave me stuff powerful enough to at least give my legs a chance to heal whilst trying to find the cause of the problem

thanks again :smile:
Original post by hellobonjour
E45 cream, from Boots or a drugstore. It has no perfume in it at all, so it won't sting at all. Aside from that, doctors!

I'm afraid I have already tried that. I'm thinking from the response I will book an appointment with my GP. :smile: thanks anyway
Reply 16
Original post by Naminam
Perhaps it's the water itself? My boyfriend really struggles with hard water now we have moved to a hard water area.

Also try turning the heat down. I'd recommend the coldest shower you can bear, even with no heat at all, and see how you feel afterwards.

Aloe vera gel might help but you need to get really good-quality stuff as most include chemicals from the aloe latex (the rind) which are irritants. I know some products made with just the inner-leaf gel, organically-grown, where the aloe gel is actually the main ingredient in the moisturiser, so it's amazing stuff. They also do a soap too that's suitable for sensitive skin. PM me if you'd want to try them out and I'll point you to them.

Alternatively coconut oil which is a great skin soother and moisturiser, it's also antifungal and antibacterial so will help fight any problems within your skin you may have. Again get good-quality stuff, cold-pressed or raw if possible. I get one from Holland and Barratt that's the works- organic, raw, extra-virgin, but it's over £16. Bear in mind it'll last you for months and months though.

Or apple cider vinegar, again from Holland and Barratt, just apply with a cotton wool pad to your legs, diluted if you prefer. It may sting and redden the first few times you use it but it's really good for the skin, cleansing and soothing it, it's the number one thing my boyfriend uses for his eczema and I use it twice a day on my skin to stop it breaking out too. You have to use apple cider vinegar though, not regular vinegar, haha :smile:

Hope this helps a bit x let me know how you get on.

Ahh see I have been abroad several times since this happened and I expect that the hardness of water would be different in those places. i still experience the same, but perhaps sunburn infleunced it slightly in those cases. I normally have cold showers, and I've tried a variety of heats.

Thankyou for all of those suggestions, i will PM in a mniute :smile: thanks!
Original post by Fires
What age are you? It sounds as if you might have Eczema, although it more often comes on as a child - have you had itching before now?

If you do have Eczema, there are a range of possibilities but you can start by using dermatological products for showering and (as others have said) E45 immediately after you dry. You should avoid all products that aren't very suitable for sensitive skin. Are you using shampoo in the shower? That might be enough to kick it off.

One of the key things about eczema is that heat is a trigger. Avoid making the room too warm and avoid the water being too hot. If you get irritation, have something ready like a gel pack with ice in it - apply it swiftly to the inflamed areas and that should reduce the irritation immediately.

There are stronger remedies like anti-histamine and steroid treatments if these basic steps fail.

Do you smoke, drink alcohol or caffeine? They all contribute to sensitivity.

Diet issues can also play a part - a great many people have a sensitivity to dairy products and you can reduce your intake of cheese, milk, yoghurt, etc as a test, to see if it improves. If it does, try to use dairy substitutes.

Some people are sensitive to stress in the skin and if you are anxious at present it may be contributing.

I have never had eczema before, although this might be a possibility. I have attempted to have cold showers before (in fact I prefer cold showers to hot ones) but I will try the gel pack thing.

I don't smoke or drink alchohol often. I only drink herbal tea, so not much if any caffiene. i am, however, a vegetarian so i do consume a lot of cheese/dairy to compensate for lost nutrients in meat. one thing to note about my vegetarianism is that I adopted it last year, which is after this itching began. So I'm pretty certain it's not vegetarianism, but diet may be important.

This started around 13/14 which is around the time I started formal exams (GCSE and upwards). Do you think this could affect it?

Thanks very much :smile:
Original post by Mazzini
You could try going to Neals Yard Remedies, they have some of the best skincare things out there :yep:

Have you tried the aloe vera gel you can get from Holland & Barrett? I use it to moisturise my knuckles in the winter when they get cold and rough.

Like this or similar:

21593065.jpg

There is one of those where I live, I might have a look :smile: tahnks
Reply 17
There is one of those where I live, I might have a look :smile: tahnks

The shop staff should be able to help you with it, they're usually very good :yep:
Do you use shampoo and have you tried changing that? I've got sensitive skin and some shampoos set me off itching as much as some shower gels/soap products because of the run off in the shower.

It's also worth trying some different brands of non-perfume products; some of the ones for 'sensitive skin' are actually the worst for me (for example, Simple products bring my face out in a rash).
It could be a circulation problem, standing still for 20 minutes or so in the shower often makes my legs itchy because of a lack of circulation whilst standing still. If you think it could be this, just try moving your feet and legs a bit more in the shower.

Latest