The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

im looking into house sharing, mmu dont accept people within 25miles! im 10. lol
Original post by timothytom
but as im so local will i get in halls?

That does depend on the university.
Reply 382
I'm currently 15 (college in september) and once i've finished that, i'll hopefully be studying at university and will be living in halls, even if the university is close by - I don't want to miss out on all the fun, and not knowing how to cope on my own (i currently can't cook good or work a washing machine, lol) despite my parents not being rich, they still told me that i should live in halls to socialize more, which is true tbh.
I have the choice of either living at Uni or traveling an hour a day each way to Uni by train but living at home. Which option do you think would be the best for me?

Feel free to ask for more info if you need it.
You'll have more fun if you live at uni.
(edited 11 years ago)
Move out!
Original post by Miracle Day
You'll have more fun if you live at uni.

Ok, do you live at Uni?
If you want to have a social life, then live at uni.

And if cost is a factor, you need to weigh up how much transport will cost vs how much rent will cost.
Well, what do you want from university? I enjoyed living at home, but I realise it's not for everyone.
You'll probably find it a lot easier if you just move out. Not only will you gain more independance this way but also you'll probably get really worn out by travelling an hour each way when you need to go in. My friend is in a similar situation and sometimes she gets home, too exhausted to do any work so she gets behind sometimes. Or you'll finish your day at university, fully prepared to get on with your work when you get home but by the time you get there, you're no longer in the mood to work so you leave it.
I stayed at home.. It was the best decision for me. I didn't get a student loan as I worked loads and had no costs at home ( I understand that with the fees now some loan is inevitable).
With the money I saved I went abroad twice a year, kept a car on the road and saved enough to pay for my MA. I still made mates at Uni and through my work places (some of whom I went abroad with).

If you're a social person you'll make friends and enjoy the Uni nights out either way.

What Uni are you off to?
Reply 391
Original post by sliceofcake
You'll probably find it a lot easier if you just move out. Not only will you gain more independance this way but also you'll probably get really worn out by travelling an hour each way when you need to go in. My friend is in a similar situation and sometimes she gets home, too exhausted to do any work so she gets behind sometimes. Or you'll finish your day at university, fully prepared to get on with your work when you get home but by the time you get there, you're no longer in the mood to work so you leave it.

I have the opposite effect. I travel about 40 minutes to and from Uni, and in that time I usually read my textbooks on the train, writing up some notes on the way. It's a good way to get work done. And when I get home, I have enough energy to do more work (Except I don't because I spend time with my daughter and usually study once she's asleep)
Reply 392
Original post by KMLeeson
I have the choice of either living at Uni or traveling an hour a day each way to Uni by train but living at home. Which option do you think would be the best for me?

Feel free to ask for more info if you need it.

I'm in this situation, I've pretty much decided to stay at Uni for the first year and live at home for the following year. I mean for me, I'm around half an hour's train journey plus walking to and from the station so pretty much exactly the same situation as you :smile:

Haven't completely decided yet though, simply because it may be a difference of 7 or 8 thousand just for 1 year, which is almost as much as the fees :/ I don't know either in short haha
Original post by jaime1986
I stayed at home.. It was the best decision for me. I didn't get a student loan as I worked loads and had no costs at home ( I understand that with the fees now some loan is inevitable).
With the money I saved I went abroad twice a year, kept a car on the road and saved enough to pay for my MA. I still made mates at Uni and through my work places (some of whom I went abroad with).

If you're a social person you'll make friends and enjoy the Uni nights out either way.

What Uni are you off to?

Birmingham :smile:

Thank you for the advice.
Original post by Stevo F
Haven't completely decided yet though, simply because it may be a difference of 7 or 8 thousand just for 1 year, which is almost as much as the fees :/ I don't know either in short haha

It won't be that much, because
- accommodation isn't anywhere near that much - I only pay £3600 per year, for instance, and that includes all bills.
- you'd have to pay for food, clothes and other living costs wherever you were living (or at least, your parents would), so you can't really count that towards the costs of living away from home
- the amount of money you spend on travelling to/from uni every day will offset many of the savings that you make on not paying rent - in some cases, it will actually cost you more to travel in than it would just to live there.
Reply 395
Original post by Origami Bullets
It won't be that much, because
- accommodation isn't anywhere near that much - I only pay £3600 per year, for instance, and that includes all bills.
- you'd have to pay for food, clothes and other living costs wherever you were living (or at least, your parents would), so you can't really count that towards the costs of living away from home
- the amount of money you spend on travelling to/from uni every day will offset many of the savings that you make on not paying rent - in some cases, it will actually cost you more to travel in than it would just to live there.

yes, however, to start with the accommodation costs for my UNI that I'm looking at are around 5k (the min is about 4.25 or 4.5k) and then theres an insane amount I could get per week from the government if i stayed at home given parental income. It adds up to around 7-8k :/
Original post by Stevo F
yes, however, to start with the accommodation costs for my UNI that I'm looking at are around 5k (the min is about 4.25 or 4.5k) and then theres an insane amount I could get per week from the government if i stayed at home given parental income. It adds up to around 7-8k :/

You realise that you actually get more money if you're living away from the parental home?

IMHO the cheapest accommodation is invariably fine - catered is worse than self catered, and en suite is a bit of a waste of money. And there is more to life than saving money anyway - for me, spending money on halls has most definitely been worth it.

How much will it cost you to get into uni every day?
Reply 397
Original post by Origami Bullets
You realise that you actually get more money if you're living away from the parental home?

IMHO the cheapest accommodation is invariably fine - catered is worse than self catered, and en suite is a bit of a waste of money. And there is more to life than saving money anyway - for me, spending money on halls has most definitely been worth it.

How much will it cost you to get into uni every day?

I'm not talking about the student loan I'll get for living away from home rather than at home, this is something else, money just given to me I won't have to pay back. It's some kind of child benefit scheme which you can continue getting at University, so long as you stay at home, silly if you ask me but does make my choice difficult :/

Its not as if i've chosen something top of the range, pretty much the cheapest my UNI do is £110 per week and mine is about £117 per week, its just it works out at quite a bit more than the cheapest cause its self catered and they make you get a longer contract for self catered, plus the very cheapest was sharing. I haven't even gone for the en-suite option :L

I worked this out a while ago but forgotten now :/ But yes, if you include transport costs it will probably go down a bit but its still a hell of a lot of money :/
Original post by Stevo F
I'm not talking about the student loan I'll get for living away from home rather than at home, this is something else, money just given to me I won't have to pay back. It's some kind of child benefit scheme which you can continue getting at University, so long as you stay at home, silly if you ask me but does make my choice difficult :/

Its not as if i've chosen something top of the range, pretty much the cheapest my UNI do is £110 per week and mine is about £117 per week, its just it works out at quite a bit more than the cheapest cause its self catered and they make you get a longer contract for self catered, plus the very cheapest was sharing. I haven't even gone for the en-suite option :L

I worked this out a while ago but forgotten now :/ But yes, if you include transport costs it will probably go down a bit but its still a hell of a lot of money :/

I'd be really interested to see this scheme; do you have a link to it at all?

Personally I'd always live away from home unless it was a question of homelessness or living at home. I didn't quite realise how much I'd appreciate the freedom, autonomy and sociability that life in halls gives you.
Reply 399
Why don't you give a go for the first uni. living at uni ? Networking is very important for your future. You will get to know more fellow students from different department if you stay at uni.

Latest

Trending

Trending