The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by King_Arthur
[br][br][br][br]xcanalsobewrittenasx+11[br][br]i.ex=x+11[br][br][br]x=(x+1)1(x+1)[br][br][br][br]x=11(x+1)[br][br][br][br][br][br]x can also be written as x+1-1 [br][br]i.e x=x+1-1[br][br][br]x = \dfrac{(x+1)-1}{(x+1)}[br][br][br][br]x = 1 - \dfrac{1}{(x+1)}[br][br]

But why and how does x= x+1-1?
Where did you get that info from
Reply 2641
Does sin integrate to -cos?
Original post by raheem94
lnx dx=1×lnx dx \displaystyle \int \ln x \ dx = \int 1 \times \ln x \ dx

now integrate by parts using, u=lnx     dvdx=1 \displaystyle u = \ln x \ \ \ \ \ \frac{dv}{dx} = 1

Reply 2643
If you look he is converting it into an equivalent form ( since 1-1 = 0) and then spilting the fraction into its constituent parts and cancelling down to make it easier to integrate. If you did algerbraic divison on it it would also come out like this.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Elle_6

it goes in this order:
sin
cos
- sin
- cos
.. back to sin.
Original post by Elle_6

yes.
I'm feeling in form fernando torres for this exam right now
anyone else want to cry?
Reply 2648
Original post by Elle_6

yep :smile: you can work it out from the formula sheet though coz it has integral of tanx (sinx/cosx) as -ln|cosx|, which would mean the differential of cosx is negative.

...if that makes sense...
Original post by This Honest
But why and how does x= x+1-1?
Where did you get that info from

that's application skills and improvisation gained with experience

you add and subtract 1 to x this wont effect the outcome but it'l help u arrange the equation in a more user friendly way ( so u can maybe add and subtract 2 if the bottom term was (x + 2) )
How do you differentiate y-2^x + 2^(-2)

Is the answer this: 2^X (ln2) + 2^(-x) ln2
What raw mark do I need to get 60ums?
Original post by King_Arthur
that's application skills and improvisation gained with experience

you add and subtract 1 to x this wont effect the outcome but it'l help u arrange the equation in a more user friendly way ( so u can maybe add and subtract 2 if the bottom term was (x + 2) )

Ahh ok then
sigh. one more day and for sure i would have got an a*. right now i'll be lucky to get a B. why am i such an idiot :frown:
Original post by masterhr1

40-50 roughly
Reply 2655
Original post by masterhr1

51 if you base it on January 2012.
Reply 2656
what is the integral of sec(2x) ?

1/2 ln|sec(2x) + tan(2x)| ?
how do you go from 2sin3xsin2x to cosx-cos5x
Has anyone done Question 3 from the mock paper?

I don't understand how to simplify: 5ln(5/4) + 2ln(4/3) (The mark scheme gets this 5ln(5/4) + 2ln(4/3) and then they get this: 3ln(5/4) how do they get that?)

Can someone please explain this, thanks.

Here is the paper and mark scheme:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2659
Original post by TheNightmare
Has anyone done Question 3 from the mock paper?

I don't understand how to simplify: 5ln(5/4) + 2ln(4/3) (The mark scheme gets this 5ln(5/4) + 2ln(4/3) and then they get this: 3ln(5/4) how do they get that?)

Can someone please explain this, thanks.

Here is the paper and mark scheme:

basically.. use rules of logs .. take the 5 as the power.. and the 2 as the power .. youll get two fractions .. then using log rules again multiply them together .. and you get your final answer.

Latest

Trending

Trending