The Student Room Group

Anthropology Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Hey everyone, I'm new here - applying to study Social Anthropology at Manchester in 2012, really excited! :smile: Though I'll be living at home which is a bit of a bugger, but then again the idea of having to take out yet another loan to live 10 minutes from the Uni when I already do... Didn't seem like the wisest choice!

Anyway, was wondering if anyone else here will be doing the same course/at the same Uni? And if anyone has any reading suggestions before I start? Thanks! :')
Reply 641
Original post by thescarletivy
Hey everyone, I'm new here - applying to study Social Anthropology at Manchester in 2012, really excited! :smile: Though I'll be living at home which is a bit of a bugger, but then again the idea of having to take out yet another loan to live 10 minutes from the Uni when I already do... Didn't seem like the wisest choice!

Anyway, was wondering if anyone else here will be doing the same course/at the same Uni? And if anyone has any reading suggestions before I start? Thanks! :')

Yeah, I'm studying Social Anthropology at Manchester this September! (if I get the grades :tongue:)

Have you already got your grades? Yeah, living that close there isn't really a point spending 3000 pounds more for you :rolleyes: Plus there's so many societies and being that close you won't miss out on anything really! And you can do your laundry for free :wink:
Original post by Lucy.Jane
Yeah, I'm studying Social Anthropology at Manchester this September! (if I get the grades :tongue:)

Have you already got your grades? Yeah, living that close there isn't really a point spending 3000 pounds more for you :rolleyes: Plus there's so many societies and being that close you won't miss out on anything really! And you can do your laundry for free :wink:

Hey, no I don't have my grades yet - my last A-level exam is on tuesday, and I don't seem to be taking it seriously, I'm in the summer mode already! Hopefully it'll go well. :/ I know, I think I'll be joining virtually every society, so I get to meet people! Have you been to any of the open days/ discover anthropology days? The lecturers seem great :smile:
Reply 643
Original post by thescarletivy
Hey, no I don't have my grades yet - my last A-level exam is on tuesday, and I don't seem to be taking it seriously, I'm in the summer mode already! Hopefully it'll go well. :/ I know, I think I'll be joining virtually every society, so I get to meet people! Have you been to any of the open days/ discover anthropology days? The lecturers seem great :smile:

That's exactly how I feel and I still have three exams left! No, I've been to Manchester a few times and looked around the uni myself :tongue: but I've talked to people who looked around on open days and they said the lecturers were really inspiring and things :smile: Just have to hope I get ABB now!! Good luck on tuesday, maybe I'll see you in September! :biggrin:
I'm not actually an Anthropology 2012 applicant (I'm for 2013/14 with a gap year), BUT Durham updated their website recently to say that 2013 entry has increased from AAB to AAA and now I'm gutted as I know I can't get that without resitting a year...

I wanted to go to Durham as it's near/good facilities from it's open day/has societies and separate colleges. I don't want TOO much science in my course (like at Durham Queen's campus), but I don't want to be REALLY far away (which for me is Manchester/further down South).

I was wondering if anyone could recommend if it's worth applying for Queen's campus (since I'm predicted to get ABB), or recommend another university that does it (even in combined honours?).

Oh and while I'm not interested in (more that I haven't read up on/looked into) Archaeology, it's only AAB to get on Durham for combined honours with Anth, so does anybody take that? Or are you able to tell me if I'm being really stupid for thinking I could do it combined? I'm so lost on what to do :frown:
Reply 645
Original post by flume
Who else is firming UCL? :smile:

I am. Actually I have firmed UCL
Reply 646
Going to be studying Anthropology at Manchester this fall!

I was hoping to get an opinion on something. I've been thinking of switching to a archaeology and anthropology joint honours to get a more historical side to my studies. I've been reading many disadvantages concerned with joint honours courses in general.

I'm wondering whether to make the switch to simply do an archaeology MA if I want to go into it afterwards?
Manchester people, I will see you there this September :smile:

(Going travelling around Eastern Europe for a month tomorrow, scared but excited, this is what it's all about, right!)
Original post by Maerzin
Going to be studying Anthropology at Manchester this fall!

I was hoping to get an opinion on something. I've been thinking of switching to a archaeology and anthropology joint honours to get a more historical side to my studies. I've been reading many disadvantages concerned with joint honours courses in general.

I'm wondering whether to make the switch to simply do an archaeology MA if I want to go into it afterwards?

While I didnt apply to Manchester in the end I did go to the open day and look quite extensively into it and I was going to apply for joint Arch and Anth. The archaeology side of the course was the one of the best I looked at, with lots of research opportunities, good facilities (e.g. The lovely Manchester Museum) and friendly staff. I also got the chance to speak to current students who were all very enthusiastic about doing the joint course over single honours and said at Manchester the both sides of the joint course complemented the other extremely well and you got the chance in your third year to do a dissertation that is both to do with archaeology and anthropology. If I had applied to Manchester I was definitely applying for the joint course.

Original post by feelinginfinite
I'm not actually an Anthropology 2012 applicant (I'm for 2013/14 with a gap year), BUT Durham updated their website recently to say that 2013 entry has increased from AAB to AAA and now I'm gutted as I know I can't get that without resitting a year...

I wanted to go to Durham as it's near/good facilities from it's open day/has societies and separate colleges. I don't want TOO much science in my course (like at Durham Queen's campus), but I don't want to be REALLY far away (which for me is Manchester/further down South).

I was wondering if anyone could recommend if it's worth applying for Queen's campus (since I'm predicted to get ABB), or recommend another university that does it (even in combined honours?).

Oh and while I'm not interested in (more that I haven't read up on/looked into) Archaeology, it's only AAB to get on Durham for combined honours with Anth, so does anybody take that? Or are you able to tell me if I'm being really stupid for thinking I could do it combined? I'm so lost on what to do :frown:

I have an offer (my insurance) to study joint anthropology and archaeology. The archaeology department at Durham was one of the most science-y that I've seen (maybe it was because they showed me their facilities extensively) complete with chemistry labs which was also highlighted pretty much every time the department advertised to me. However, despite all of this, the archaeology department was fantastic and everyone was super-friendly. Both the anthropology tutor who was there on the open day and email communication I had with the department prior to application both said that while it is possible to change from joint to single once you had an offer, it cannot be guaranteed and will depend on grades/spaces etc.

However I think the two departments complement each other perfectly and I'm glad I applied for the joint rather than the single at Durham.

By the way I had an offer from Bristol for joint archaeology and anthropology of ABB but their typical grade offer is AAB-BBB I think so if this isn't too far you could consider Bristol.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 649
Original post by AquilaXenon
While I didnt apply to Manchester in the end I did go to the open day and look quite extensively into it and I was going to apply for joint Arch and Anth. The archaeology side of the course was the one of the best I looked at, with lots of research opportunities, good facilities (e.g. The lovely Manchester Museum) and friendly staff. I also got the chance to speak to current students who were all very enthusiastic about doing the joint course over single honours and said at Manchester the both sides of the joint course complemented the other extremely well and you got the chance in your third year to do a dissertation that is both to do with archaeology and anthropology. If I had applied to Manchester I was definitely applying for the joint course.

Thanks. That was just the push I needed to confirm the change. Can't wait to start!

If I may ask, what is your 'firm'?
Original post by Maerzin
Thanks. That was just the push I needed to confirm the change. Can't wait to start!

If I may ask, what is your 'firm'?

Glad that I could help. :smile:

My firm is Cambridge for Archaeology and Anthropology.
Reply 651
Original post by AquilaXenon
Glad that I could help. :smile:

My firm is Cambridge for Archaeology and Anthropology.

If only I had the grades. :s-smilie: Their course looks amazing.
Original post by Maerzin
If only I had the grades. :s-smilie: Their course looks amazing.

I suppose it is also what you make of it. With options etc you can do a course that is on par I'm sure :smile: Good luck!
Reply 653
Hello people!

I'm new to the student room. Will be at SOAS this september for Social Anthropology and Arabic. I'm just coming to end of my gap year (if any of you are thinking about taking a gap year i highly recommend it!)

is anyone else here going to/already at SOAS? would love to get some tips on the course and uni!! thanks!
Reply 654
Hi,
In your opinion which do you think has a better department, goldsmiths or manchester?
anyone else here prefer the bio side? it feels lonely over here on the bio side...
Reply 656
Original post by b.ryan123
Hi,
In your opinion which do you think has a better department, goldsmiths or manchester?

I might be biased (gonig to Manchester :tongue: ) but their department is known internationally as being amazing with research etc and it's just gone under refurbishment so the building is nice and new! They also offer a lot of visual anthropology with the Granada Centre (the world’s leading centre for Visual Anthropology). I haven't been on an open day but everyone I know who has says how inspiring/interesting the lecturers seem :smile:

I didn't apply to Goldsmiths but I think overall (and for Anthropology) Manchester has a better reputation and more connections and courses offered :smile:
Reply 657
Original post by Lucy.Jane
I might be biased (gonig to Manchester :tongue: ) but their department is known internationally as being amazing with research etc and it's just gone under refurbishment so the building is nice and new! They also offer a lot of visual anthropology with the Granada Centre (the world’s leading centre for Visual Anthropology). I haven't been on an open day but everyone I know who has says how inspiring/interesting the lecturers seem :smile:

I didn't apply to Goldsmiths but I think overall (and for Anthropology) Manchester has a better reputation and more connections and courses offered :smile:

Ah thanks. I had applied late so had to decide last week. I went for Manchester. I was pretty much decided but thought i would ask on here.

Very excited.
Reply 658
Anyone about here?

Results soon! I already know I'm off to Goldsmiths - anyone else? :smile:
Reply 659
Original post by tedhill284
anyone else here prefer the bio side? it feels lonely over here on the bio side...

I don't know enough about the different anthropological fields to prefer a side yet but I am really interested in the bio side. Unfortunately the few courses that cover most aspects of the four-field approach were beyond my grades. Perhaps I'll do a bioanth masters if I want to go into research.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending