The Student Room Group

The Working At Asda Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2040
Original post by elstoleno
1) passport, NI info, bank info. But they just told me to take passport and bank details.

2) they say casual, but try to look good, but you dont need to wear a suit or anything.

3) yes!

Next pay day is 4 weeks from Friday gone though, you've just missed it!

Also, make sure youre free on Wednesday because induction is two days long, they just don't tell you until your first day of it! Think you'll be in around 6 hours each day too, you should get your uniform tomorrow and you wear that on the second day.

So, do you reckon smart trousers, shirt and tie?
Original post by Deshi
So, do you reckon smart trousers, shirt and tie?

I think i'd go with that but without the tie
Hi everyone,

I wont find out my rota for next week until the end of the week, but I have an appointment on Tuesday, does anyone know if they would be fine if I show up for work an hour late if they put me in on that day/early?.

My manager said he wouldnt put me in for a shift at all that week as I go on holiday half way through the week, but just asking incase he has anyway!.
1) passport, NI info, bank info. But they just told me to take passport and bank details.

2) they say casual, but try to look good, but you dont need to wear a suit or anything.

3) yes!

Next pay day is 4 weeks from Friday gone though, you've just missed it!

Also, make sure youre free on Wednesday because induction is two days long, they just don't tell you until your first day of it! Think you'll be in around 6 hours each day too, you should get your uniform tomorrow and you wear that on the second day.

That depends on the person doing it. The person who did mine recognised how ridiculous it was, and we did the entire thing in about 5 hours tops.
Original post by MelissaJayne
QFA.

Heyy,

Hope section leadering is going well for you :smile: I have a quick question. I'm trying to register on the ASDA stars website (https://www.asdarewards.com/ASA/STR/createpassword.asp) but it won't recognise my walmart no. or postcode ('Your Colleague Walmart Number / Colleague Home Postcode could not be found.') Can you login/register??

Looking forward to George event tomorrow and Wednesday -- have only just found out that I can get 20% off too (even though I haven't been there 12 weeks :biggrin:) so am going to have a spend up for Uni (hehehe...) xx
Hey

I have recently applied for a job at a new ASDA store opening in my local town

There has been over 10,000 applicants for just 450 jobs, with around 2500 getting through to the ASDA magic sessions.

I did well in the magic session and have been invited for a one-to-one interview

Does any current/past employees have an idea of what questions they will be asking?

I am going into final year at uni, so I will only be asking for weekend shifts and holidays. Will this hinder my application?

I am seriously nervous because I really want the job but I have a lot of people to compete with!

Please help :biggrin: thanks in advance
Hey

There has been over 10,000 applicants for just 450 jobs, with around 2500 getting through to the ASDA magic sessions.

I did well in the magic session and have been invited for a one-to-one interview

Does any current/past employees have an idea of what questions they will be asking?

I am going into final year at uni, so I will only be asking for weekend shifts and holidays. Will this hinder my application?

I am seriously nervous because I really want the job but I have a lot of people to compete with!

Original post by rjadamson
Hey

Congrats on getting this far, most one to one people get the job from what I've heard :smile:

You might just be made seasonal if you cant work the whole week, in my interview they started by asking when i'd like to work or how much or something, and I just said anything over 12 hours.

Dunno if youve applied for anything specific, but they offered me something that I didnt apply for.

Erm, question wise it was all stuff about previous experience, if youve never worked before you can mention uni, like youve worked in a team to solve problems and so on. (Thank god I took photography because that was all about working with people!).

Sorry I cant really remember anything specific at the moment :/ if you go back a few pages through this thread I think I told someone else in a bit more detail.
Reply 2048
I'm on Fresh.

What does that entail exactly?
Just got a phone call today after filling out an online application a few weeks ago.

I'm going there soon for a 'magic session' i think?

I was asked to bring a passport, NI number, birth certificate etc..

Does this mean it's a first interview? How many stage are there to the process?

Original post by number23
Just got a phone call today after filling out an online application a few weeks ago.

I'm going there soon for a 'magic session' i think?

I was asked to bring a passport, NI number, birth certificate etc..

Does this mean it's a first interview? How many stage are there to the process?

Congrats.
Its the first interview stage, there will be up to around 20 people there I think.

First they'll scan your passport.
You'll be split into groups, then pairs.
In pairs you'll probably just talk and then introduce your partner to the rest of the room, then in groups you might be given a product out of a bag, then you need to advertise the product to the rest of the group.

For example we had smart price irish stew.
"Delicious irish stew,
especially for you,
its asda smart price,
and twice as nice".

Pretty easy really, it'll last up to 2 hours (ours was an hour and a half, but the first 30min of that was the passports!)

Then you might go onto the shop floor and do some work - we did bagging on the checkouts.

You'll hear back within a week to say if you get to the next stage which is the one to one interview.

Good luck :smile:
Congrats.
Its the first interview stage, there will be up to around 20 people there I think.

First they'll scan your passport.
You'll be split into groups, then pairs.
In pairs you'll probably just talk and then introduce your partner to the rest of the room, then in groups you might be given a product out of a bag, then you need to advertise the product to the rest of the group.

For example we had smart price irish stew.
"Delicious irish stew,
especially for you,
its asda smart price,
and twice as nice".

Pretty easy really, it'll last up to 2 hours (ours was an hour and a half, but the first 30min of that was the passports!)

Then you might go onto the shop floor and do some work - we did bagging on the checkouts.

You'll hear back within a week to say if you get to the next stage which is the one to one interview.

Good luck :smile:

thanks, so do you need to bring the actual passport/birth certificate or photocopies?
Original post by number23
thanks, so do you need to bring the actual passport/birth certificate or photocopies?

Most of us took passports to ours, but one person took a photocopy and it was fine, but i'm not sure if they took the passport as proof too.

They'll photocopy it for you if you dont have a photocopy. But i'd take the original along even if you do have a copy!
what is the average pay for a 19 year old sales colleague? and what in store discounts do employee's receive?
what is the average pay for a 19 year old sales colleague? and what in store discounts do employee's receive?

I believe everyone gets the same pay, so £6.28 an hour for 12 weeks then £6.50 an hour after that.

Discounts are 10% I think except on certain things, you can get discount in wal mart if you visit the US too. Don't know much about discounts because I've not been there long enough to get the discount card yet (26 weeks I think you get it).

In my store we get £6.59 and after 24 weeks; £6.94. After 12 weeks you get your discount card which entitles you and a nominated (must be in the same household) to 10% off everything excluding petrol, national lottery, stamps etc
I attended my induction recently (past month) and apparently it's a trial of a new induction system, which lasts 2 full days 9-5. From what I could tell from the first day it was mostly just faffing and a helluva lot of repetition and common sense. We ran 45mins over, with no explanation other than an apology and expectation that we would appear in uniform the next day despite being handed it on leaving. I'm sure it's a great place to work, and a good fit for some, but as for myself I couldn't bear the falseness of the whole thing (even the other new colleagues at the induction were like eager puppies with their noses up the trainer's backside already). Definitely not the environment for me, but I fully acknowledge this may not be the same experience for others (or in other stores). I also had asked for as close to full time hours as possible and since I live 30min drive away in a small village, longer-type shifts. I was given 3 days, each 4hr shifts (i.e. 12hrs total). I was also placed in a department I hadn't applied for, and with no notice. I was told I would be interviewing after the magic day, but no indication that this would not be with the department I'd applied for. Pretty disappointed.

I handed in the uniform they gave me, keys etc at the start of the 2nd induction day.
Original post by berwick53
In my store we get £6.59 and after 24 weeks; £6.94. After 12 weeks you get your discount card which entitles you and a nominated (must be in the same household) to 10% off everything excluding petrol, national lottery, stamps etc

Woah! How do you get so much?!! I'm on £6.28 p/hr going up to £6.50 p/hr after 12? (poss 24) weeks!
I believe everyone gets the same pay, so £6.28 an hour for 12 weeks then £6.50 an hour after that.

Discounts are 10% I think except on certain things, you can get discount in wal mart if you visit the US too. Don't know much about discounts because I've not been there long enough to get the discount card yet (26 weeks I think you get it).

12 weeks! I'm counting down!!
Original post by beanstalkgirl_24
12 weeks! I'm counting down!!

I'm sure the letter I got said 24/26 weeks for the discount card because I thought it was 12 when I got the letter :/ I'll go dig it out and have a check

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending