The Student Room Group

I'm sick and tired of looking for ****ing jobs

Scroll to see replies

Two days? Try two months.
Reply 421
Last night I handed out my CV's round Westfield London Shopping Centre and was asked to come in for an interview there on the spot from 2 stores. I was so surprised. It's very true when they say that employers only skim through you CV without reading much. I have worked in retail before and I have a job at the moment but my contracted hours are only 7.5 hours and I need more money. But I think companies should offer people interviews on the spot more often instead of having people wait for those tedious call-backs.

I'm well chuffed now. I recommend that people hand out CVs to their local stores because sometimes retail store don't have online applications for Sales Assistant positions for example Superdrug, Office, New Look, The Perfume Store and La Senza only accept in-store applicants so when a vacancy arises it's basically first come first serve. Also another tip is to make sure you hand your CV into a MANAGER not a Sales Assistant because sometimes they are not aware of any vacancies or they will just take your CV and stash it somewhere and forget about it.

Most importantly remember to smile, be approachable, friendly and actually look like you want to job. I've worked in retail for a year now and there was always people coming into the store asking me if there any vacancies and these people are not smiling, or enthusiastic, they don't even know what position they are apply for and they look like their parents dragged them there.
Original post by Swindon
I just got an Interview for Gap as well! :P

Congrats on the interview :biggrin: what did you wear? they told me to wear jeans and a shirt but not sure how formal to go!

Thank you for all your advice! I REALLY appreciate the fact you took the time to write it all :smile:
Whereas I have to endure four months in total, and a whole lifetime after that, of the world telling me I´m worthless.
I´m only good for cleaning the sick out of toilets, but even for that I need experience.
that´s good, except youll amass loads of dept if you cant find a good job afterwards to pay it off. i could never afford a phd. not that i´m intelligent enough for that anyway.
well i cant see that youve got anything to feel sad about. at least a masters shows that youve got a brain and youll probably be successful. ill just spend my life in low end jobs. at least with that and my father´s support ill never go hungry, but that´s all ill ever get out of life. i dont know why i even bother with uni tbh. i guess my sixth form didnt give me much of a choice.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by kratos90
At the end of the day, a job gives you a structure to your day, gets you out, gets you meeting people, boosts self-esteem and gives you money to spend not just on rent etc. but having a social life. A job's a job.

You are wonderfully obedient consumer and capitalist drone. Your owners will be very proud of you. Now stop slacking on the internet, your boss will not be happy with such behaviour.
Reply 427
Original post by Soph.Jade
Congrats on the interview :biggrin: what did you wear? they told me to wear jeans and a shirt but not sure how formal to go!

Thank you for all your advice! I REALLY appreciate the fact you took the time to write it all :smile:

Thank you! Ah, really? My interview is tomorrow afternoon but now I think I should have asked what the dress code is lol :\

I'd probably go formal and wear a simple black pencil dress or black cigarette trousers and a white blouse with a blazer. I think you can never be too over dress for an interview as long as you're not wearing anything too revealing and you look smart it's okay. I hope I don't turn up and everyone is wearing jeans :K:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 428
Original post by original_username
Part of me dies every time I read a comment like this.

"Jobs a job"
"Think of the money"

Is that all people have to hope for? Work! Pay tax! Pay rent! If lucky you might get a foot on the property ladder! Pay mortgage! Pay Pension! Die!

Capitalism. **** YEAH!!!

What alternatives do you suggest?
Reply 429
For anyone struggling to find a job, I would highly recommend you do Duke of Edinburgh Bronze to gold. This shows your dedication to certain skills as well as the award itself. You will also be doing volunteer work for nearly 2 years in total! (Though only 1 hour a week). Also get as much work experience as possible. Anywhere will do. I worked at Chester Zoo for 2 weeks, it was epic and really increases your employability
Reply 430
Original post by Swindon
Thank you! Ah, really? My interview is tomorrow afternoon but now I think I should have asked what the dress code is lol :\

I'd probably go formal and wear a simple black pencil dress or black cigarette trousers and a white blouse with a blazer. I think you can never be too over dress for an interview as long as you're not wearing anything too revealing and you look smart it's okay. I hope I don't turn up and everyone is wearing jeans :K:

My sister had an interview for boots a few years ago. She said she was the only one out of all the applicants wearing realyl formal wear (Blazer etc). Everyone else was wearing jeans... She got the job. Formal wear makes an impression that you want to impress!
Original post by Iron Lady
What alternatives do you suggest?

Alternatives to what?
Reply 432
Alternatives to what?

The capitalist system.
Alternatives to what?

ignore her, she worships Thatcher.
Original post by Swindon
x

haha I think it's an individual interview? I'm going in smart jeans and a flowery blouse - it still looks formal but I've not completely ignored what she said haha. I hope she doesn't ask about modern trends as I've done a bit of research but don't really know much :s-smilie:
Reply 435
Original post by MrHappy_J
ignore her, she worships Thatcher.

And?
Had an interview for Aldi today, was called back within a few hours to be told that I've gotten through to the next stage (work trial) - I have to buy a black polo shirt and sensible shoes for a job I might not get if they're not impressed with me :frown:.
I also have to learn at least 35 of the hundreds of PLU codes by monday :K:, hopefully it's worth it!
Reply 437
I'm currently applying at Ryman and they said they will collect references from the last 5 years! :eek: :confused:

Something I'm not quite sure about: I have a full driving licence but I'm not insured, so I don't know whether I should say that I have a driving licence or not. I have put it down before though.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 438
Just come back from my interview I passed. They will get back to me in the next couple of days to see whether they want to take me or not as a couple of others have passed the interview today too and they will look over them.
Original post by . .
Just come back from my interview I passed. They will get back to me in the next couple of days to see whether they want to take me or not as a couple of others have passed the interview today too and they will look over them.

Ooh congratulations :biggrin:
hopefully things are looking up for the people on this thread haha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending