The Student Room Group

The 2012 STEP Results Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5040
I'd just like to ask: how much did you guys focus on pure and how much on applied? Obviously there are more pure questions, but it seems like it would be a bad idea to ignore the applied section; then again if some of the applied questions are going to be accessible only to those who've done M5 or S4, is there much point in spending a lot of time doing mechanics and statistics, instead of improving your pure maths?
Original post by ian.slater
I just showed this to an Oxford fresher who took STEP for fun (1,1 in II/III) - he fired back - aren't they just STEP questions - he may be right.

Possible. I didn't really look at them, just saw loads of integrals and trig functions and thought :pinch:
Original post by und
I'd just like to ask: how much did you guys focus on pure and how much on applied? Obviously there are more pure questions, but it seems like it would be a bad idea to ignore the applied section; then again if some of the applied questions are going to be accessible only to those who've done M5 or S4, is there much point in spending a lot of time doing mechanics and statistics, instead of improving your pure maths?

I focused on both during preparation, but I was consistently about 10 minutes quicker on pure than applied going into the exams.... There has been a consistent trend of accessible applied questions in recent years so it's worth doing some prep on them

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by und

I strongly dislike anything applied so I focused on pure only. But I don't think this is a good thing to do; in fact I intend to change my ways next year. :smile: From what I've heard the applied questions can be quite nice and tend to be slightly easier than the pure (or at least they have a higher chance of being so). So yes, worth looking at.
Reply 5044
Original post by und

I somewhat agree with TheMagicMan. Before STEP II I was like: I'm going for the 8 pure ones, excluding graph sketching problems (I hate graph sketching), because the mechanics was usually ugly and I haven't learned some probability needed. I ended up doing 2 mechanics problems (9. and 11) on STEP II. On STEP III, there was a really easy probability question (12. I think) so I did that.
If you have enough time to prepare, I'd advise concentrating on the pure section, as it gives 2 more problems than needed, and as much as 4 extra problems if you're only looking for a low 1. But, if you feel like you don't have much time, consider revising applied, because you never know when an easy question might come up.
Reply 5045
Original post by Lord of the Flies
I strongly dislike anything applied so I focused on pure only. But I don't think this is a good thing to do; in fact I intend to change my ways next year. :smile: From what I've heard the applied questions can be quite nice and tend to be slightly easier than the pure (or at least they have a higher chance of being so). So yes, worth looking at.

What's good about the mechanics questions is that if you draw a diagram, add in a few angles, forces, lengths, lines etc, and spot a useful link, you're already beyond the tricky stage, and all you have to do it play around with some expressions until you have the answer, whereas with the pure questions you can fall into the trap of not thinking hard enough, or missing a very useful link, and end up trying to do it like an A level question. Maybe that'll go away with practice, but right now I feel far less able to do pure questions in STEP II than mechanics questions. Don't get me started on statistics, though. :rolleyes:
Original post by TheMagicMan
I think it's easier than step...

OK well, what do you get for the last part of 3? :smile:. I must be out of practice, my answer is just fugly.
Original post by ben-smith
OK well, what do you get for the last part of 3? :smile:. I must be out of practice, my answer is just fugly.

I only did 7&9 because they were show thats and they were much quicker than a typical step q...and mechanics sucks anyway :tongue:

Original post by TheMagicMan
and mechanics sucks anyway :tongue:

Enjoy maths with physics :biggrin:
Enjoy maths with physics :biggrin:

I have a love-hate relationship with mechanics :wink:

I should probably do the sheet at some point... near end of September I think =p atleast when I get back from Reading Festival lol
Reply 5051
Does anybody else falter at the sight of maths questions after the long summer holiday? Before, I was happily doing AEA, STEP I and other difficult questions, but now I seem to have forgotten basic methods. :tongue:
Original post by und
Does anybody else falter at the sight of maths questions after the long summer holiday? Before, I was happily doing AEA, STEP I and other difficult questions, but now I seem to have forgotten basic methods. :tongue:

Exactly how I feel haha!. I'm kinda scared to even try!
Original post by und

It would be sensible to practice applied. Although I only attempt pure (and maybe applied on STEP II), practicing applied gives you a larger range of questions and they're also seen as slightly easier than the pure (not sure if true since i dont attempt them :tongue:)

Original post by und

Original post by maths134
Exactly how I feel haha!. I'm kinda scared to even try!

Ditto. Im going to do the seemingly easy looking workbook, and then tackle that example sheet. But not yet, maybe in two weeks, we still have a lot of time untill uni starts.
Reply 5054

Quite. I get,

Spoiler

Reply 5055
Original post by Zuzuzu
Quite. I get,

Spoiler

:rofl:

That kind of reminds me of one of the answers in this summer's AEA exam. It seemed so weird that I thought it was wrong. Something like an1n1a^{n^{\frac{1}{n-1}}}
Original post by Zuzuzu
Quite. I get,

Spoiler

I think we agree:eek: Did you get an integral similar to that from question 2?
Reply 5057
I think we agree:eek: Did you get an integral similar to that from question 2?

yeah, it was pretty much the same looking back. 3 was the first one I attempted though, so I didn't see the similarity and had to go the long way round. :redface:
Humph, continuous mathematics :hand:
Original post by hassi94
Scary stuff - Emma just emailed me saying to go to down on the 27th as Mathmos have a 'intro lecture' on the 28th, that's the day before everyone arrives! :tongue: As well as that, I have this workbook thing Rahul speaks of and my first example sheet for my first supervision :eek:

churchill mathmos are there on the 25th, with lessons on the 26th 27th 28th

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending