The Student Room Group

Performing Arts/Drama/Acting/etc Applicants 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I have a question. BA Acting in RCS requires 7.5 band score from IELTS (for those living outside the UK). Do I have to take the test before I even apply for RCS, or can I take it after I get an offer (if I get it)?:confused: Thank you
Reply 21
Thought I was the only one preparing already, good to see everyone else is too!

I'm applying to do a BA hons degree (via UCAS) at:

Central
Guildford
Rose Bruford
LAMDA
East 15

My top choice is Central (fingers crossed I get in)

I'm definitely nervous about having to perform a song!!

Is anyone on here attending open days for Rose Bruford / Central?

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE :smile:
Original post by zoe_l

Is anyone on here attending open days for Rose Bruford / Central?

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE :smile:

Hey hey! I'll be going to the Rose B and Central open days on the 27th anddd I think it was 28th (?) of this month :biggrin: So excited to see what's what. Hoping to get into Rose Bruford's American Theatre Arts course, holy smokes it looks incredible khjfhghjglksdf :bl:
Reply 23
Original post by monic
I have a question. BA Acting in RCS requires 7.5 band score from IELTS (for those living outside the UK). Do I have to take the test before I even apply for RCS, or can I take it after I get an offer (if I get it)?:confused: Thank you

well as 7.5 at IELTS is a language requirement to start the year in the school if you get in, i think you can take the test after you get the offer (if you get it) but it would be wiser if you take the test earlier, before being busy learning your monologues and passing auditions. I'm in the same situation than you (i'm living in france) and i decide to take the IELTS test in November, like that if i don't get 7.5 i would still have time to try again another time :smile:
I'm a Scottish student planning to apply for costume this year, I'm applying to the following courses:

Scotland:
RCS
Edinburgh Uni
Edinburgh Queen Margaret

England:
Rose Bruford (Anyone know of any other courses in England? Sadly I can't apply to RADA since I won't be 18:nopity:)

One other thing is that i have no idea as to what I put into a portfolio :confused: Any Ideas?
Original post by FudgeFingers
I'm a Scottish student planning to apply for costume this year, I'm applying to the following courses:

Scotland:
RCS
Edinburgh Uni
Edinburgh Queen Margaret

England:
Rose Bruford (Anyone know of any other courses in England? Sadly I can't apply to RADA since I won't be 18:nopity:)

One other thing is that i have no idea as to what I put into a portfolio :confused: Any Ideas?

Central School of Speech and Drama in London has a Costume Construction course, or if you're more into design then there's Design for Stage which teaches costume and set design.
Reply 26
Hello :smile: new here :smile:

was wondering what anyone's opinions of Drama schools vs uni are? I know Drama School is a much higher vocational course with from what i can telll better preperation for the industry, would like to know the pros and cons of each?

My main dilema with drama school is the sheer intesnity of it- suffering for your "art" and all, and honestly i would like to have a varied company (e.g friends on medicine courses etc) but then drama school seems your best chance of emplyoment as an actor and i truly love it- would hate to miss out of superb training on account of me having no backbone. so confused and stressed! :confused:
Reply 27
Original post by Aquice
well as 7.5 at IELTS is a language requirement to start the year in the school if you get in, i think you can take the test after you get the offer (if you get it) but it would be wiser if you take the test earlier, before being busy learning your monologues and passing auditions. I'm in the same situation than you (i'm living in france) and i decide to take the IELTS test in November, like that if i don't get 7.5 i would still have time to try again another time :smile:

Firstly, thank you for the answer. And yes, i thought of taking the IELTS before auditioning, but I'm not sure about the getting 7.5
I'm freaking scared of failing (and as you probably know, it's not cheap). So we'll see how it goes. Anyway, thank you again and good luck, dear xx
Reply 28
I am now really worried that i left this too long i still haven't picked the monologues for my auditions. I don't know where to look whats right for me, i went to BSA and they suggested doing plays written at least five years ago. I am a little younger to everyone else so i have to look at a age range of 16-18 and its hard trying to find that. I have looked at some monologue books but they dont help. I really hope some one can help me please.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 29
Original post by sophi94
Hello :smile: new here :smile:

was wondering what anyone's opinions of Drama schools vs uni are? I know Drama School is a much higher vocational course with from what i can telll better preperation for the industry, would like to know the pros and cons of each?

My main dilema with drama school is the sheer intesnity of it- suffering for your "art" and all, and honestly i would like to have a varied company (e.g friends on medicine courses etc) but then drama school seems your best chance of emplyoment as an actor and i truly love it- would hate to miss out of superb training on account of me having no backbone. so confused and stressed! :confused:

Hi i was having the same problem when i was looking at drama schools and uni. The pros for drama school is that professionals from the industry are going to be teaching you and they will have a of experience. Also some have west end directors coming in to help in lessons and show cases so that agencies can spot you. Also it is a very intense experience which could be good for some. If it accredited then you would have a better change for a job compared to some one from uni or no training because they expect that you have had the right training. The cons are many of them are based down south of england and for me thats hard for me to finance with living cost and far from my family. Long hours and its very hard and challenging. The pros for uni is you may learn a variety of skills for example technician, starting your own theatre company becoming a drama teacher. Many unis do this course. You will be able to have a student loan. Hours are not to intensive as a drama school. Cons may not get as many acting jobs, many not train you for the acting industry and usually some of them help you get into drama school if you want that. Basically my advice is read the courses at the different places you want to go because they do different things and go to open days if you can. Hope this helps and good luck :smile:

Reply 30
Hey there!

I'm going to be applying for the BA musical theatre course at London Studio Centre, the musical theatre diploma course at Laine Theatre Arts, and the BA in contemporary dance at both The Place (London Contemporary Dance School) and Trinity Laban. I'm still undecided as to whether or not to go for ArtsEd... They seem to very focused on singing, whereas I'm more of a dancer. I'd love to give it a go, but I'm just thinking of the extra expense of the audition fee/travel etc!

Original post by EllieJessJM
Hello Everyone,

I know this seems abit too early but I wanted to see if there's anyone else here considering applying for performance-related courses in 2013. So, I'm considering applying for -

BA (Hons) Acting Birmingham School of Acting
BA (Hons) Acting LIPA
BA (Hons) Acting Manchester Met
BA (Hons) Drama Manchester Met

I was hopping to get advice about anyone who have studied at these places or ideas on monologues and songs for the auditions. If any of you's have questions you want to ask feel ask on this and I hope someone will reply soon. :smile::biggrin:

Hello,

I am part of a company called Audition Plus, we help auditionees to source monologues/songs and give coaching on your pieces to prepare you for the auditions.

Have you considered applying to schools away from the North? If you are serious about acting you should be looking at school in London aswell because you need to compare them and the scene to know what will suit you. I see you are in Liverpool - are you wanting to stay near home so you can live there?

Good luck - if you want it go for it, but there is a lot of work ahead, don't skimp or somebody else will have done more about beat you to that spot at the school you want!
Original post by izzykabban
hey i'm looking to apply in 2013 as well! im thinking of applying to loads just because they're soo hard to get into i might as well try for loads :/ are you trying for any foundation courses or just BA ones? because apparently foundations are slightly easier to get onto and then once you do one its easier to get onto a BA course but obviously have no idea if thats true or not!
im thinking of applying to central (BA) rose bruford (BA) drama centre (BA and foundation) east 15 (BA and foundation) italia conti (BA) RADA (foundation and BA) LAMDA (foundation and BA) and probably afew others too!

Hi,
I did a foundation at LAMDA before my BA 3 year at Drama Centre. There are a number of points to consider:

1. Foundations are expensive and there is no funding.
2. They are slightly easier to get in to because you are paying...so there are less applicants.
3. MOST people on my foundation and those I have come across were 3year applicants that were offered the foundation instead - I was only 1 of 5 in my year of 30 that had actually applied for the foundation. I applied because I was only 17 and 3yr courses expect you to be 18.
4. You will get a great taster of what drama school involves so some people came out desperate to go - some said it's not for me. Both great conclusions from a foundation.
5. You will be AT a drama school - meeting drama teachers, actors on the 3yr, getting to know about the industry etc - these are all things that will give you the edge in auditioning for a 3yr the following year.
6. Having said that - I have been on an audition panel and applicants that are doing a foundation are expected to deliver a higher standard in the audition becaus we (or they) know what guidance you will have received and we are always harder on those applicants.
7. I had a great time - and it opened up doors to see shows and meet actors from other drama schools - plus everyone around you is auditioning so you get to hear about all the schools which is a big positive.

I could go on and on....sorry for so much writing.

Good luck!
Original post by paidakay
Although I have not gone for an acting school audition, I'm fully convinced that they don't favour humor,(unless you can really pull it off),bare in mind there a thousand other people auditioning if that little humor error is to fail or they just don't like it (lol as harsh as that sounds it happens), that's what puts the other person at a better advantage than you, however make sure your audition pieces are two different mental states so for instance your Shakespearean piece can be emotional whilst your modern piece is happy, relaxed or whatever state or vice versa, hope this helps :smile:

Wish you all good luck with your auditions, I certainly need it.. if I don't chicken out & do a psychology degree

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my LT18i

I'm sorryto disagree but you are wrong! I have been a member of audition panels for a few years and we have no problem with humour at all. When you sit through 100's of auditions all day, trust me someone beign light is welcome. However, you are right to keep your pieces different! Overall try not to choose characters wildly different to you in type of age - it's such a big leap.

good luck!
Hi i was having the same problem when i was looking at drama schools and uni. The pros for drama school is that professionals from the industry are going to be teaching you and they will have a of experience. Also some have west end directors coming in to help in lessons and show cases so that agencies can spot you. Also it is a very intense experience which could be good for some. If it accredited then you would have a better change for a job compared to some one from uni or no training because they expect that you have had the right training. The cons are many of them are based down south of england and for me thats hard for me to finance with living cost and far from my family. Long hours and its very hard and challenging. The pros for uni is you may learn a variety of skills for example technician, starting your own theatre company becoming a drama teacher. Many unis do this course. You will be able to have a student loan. Hours are not to intensive as a drama school. Cons may not get as many acting jobs, many not train you for the acting industry and usually some of them help you get into drama school if you want that. Basically my advice is read the courses at the different places you want to go because they do different things and go to open days if you can. Hope this helps and good luck :smile:

First of all - you do get a student loan for drama school so if cost is your main worry - don't it is the same as Uni. Living costs are a bit higher but all drama schools once you're there do their best to keep you there (there are lots of bursaries avaialble for living costs etc once you are a student). I went to drama school and many of us have started theatre companies - you don't need a uni to teach you something like that. I have to lean towards going to Drama School if you want to be an actor! IF you want to teach/produce or run a theatre etc etc then Uni may be a good route.

It is a very tough business and having a strong training is the first step along that road. With regard to the long hours and intesive work...I'm afraid to say that if you can't cope with that, you will not handle being an actor - TRUST me. The training is like that on purpose to prepare you for the amount of work you will have to do to be working when you leave. On the other hand you are wrong that schools expect you to 'suffer' for your art - it is a bit of a myth and it will be hard but there's no need to suffer (I went to a method school)!

And don't worry we went to several parties at other Uni student bars and met people doing other courses through that...but you will end up around a lot of actors, but again it's only preparing you for the business.

Good luck!
Reply 35

Thanks! i found that very helpful, i got all your points and made a list :smile: im still looking but i think im going to apply for 3 unis and 2 drama schools! in love with both UEA and Rose Bruford so still cant decide which way to go- Good luck :smile:
Reply 36
hey everyone I am looking at Oxford school of drama, Man Met, Birmingham School of Acting, LIPA, GSA and Guildhall School of music and drama. I don't know which one to apply for so does any one have any information about these schools any past students from theses schools got any advice about the schools or auditions. I need help for monologues i its so hard to find them. :confused: and Good Luck to everyone applying this year :biggrin:
Reply 37
hey everyone I am looking at Oxford school of drama, Man Met, Birmingham School of Acting, LIPA, GSA and Guildhall School of music and drama. I don't know which one to apply for so does any one have any information about these schools any past students from theses schools got any advice about the schools or auditions. I need help for monologues i its so hard to find them. :confused: and Good Luck to everyone applying this year :biggrin:

In regards to monologues, I am working with a drama/singing teacher to prepare all of my songs and monologues for my auditions. It makes it a lot easier because he has a good selection of material at the ready, and he's also helped many other people to get into colleges so I trust him to help me get my performance right for the audition. Definitely takes some of the pressure off me to find my own pieces! Maybe you could try speaking to your drama teacher, or take up private classes (although I know they can be expensive - I was lucky that my parents let me have mine for my birthday present instead of driving lessons!)?
(edited 11 years ago)
Hey Everyone!!

I'm applying for Musical Theatre at GSA, Mountview, RCS, Central and LSMT! Does anyone know what the process is like at GSA and Royal Conservatoire of Scotland?

And does anyone have any audition dates yet? :smile:

GOOD LUCK! :smile:

xxxx
Original post by MadiP
Hi :smile:
I'm applying to Performing arts at:

Urdang
Italia Conti
Mountview
ArtsEd
and Uni of Chichester

Good luck to all of you :smile: