The Student Room Group

Are women lying when they say they dont care how handsome or fit a guy is

You here it all the time. "I dont care about how good looking he is as long as we're on the right wave length and he makes me laugh and loves me. Thats all i care about"

But i see even these nice, affectionate guys get turned down by the pretty, nice, polite girls (not sluts) because they're too mesmerised by the really handsome lad with broad shoulders and a six pac.

when you're out a guy is carassing his girl who happens to be checking out the pretty boy as he walks past with come-to-bed eyes trying her best to be subtle whilst doing so.

Even if they dont mean to, they cant help it. They could be having a wonderful time out with hubby at the mall hand in hand and then out of no way comes a pretty boy who completely catches her off guard and she cant help but check him out good and proper. You see it all the time. Everywhere.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Anyone who says that looks dont matter is lying.
There are NO stereotypic women, women are not a subspecies, most people just want respect from their partner, that typifies love more than any six pack.
yes they are lying, as bad as it is people who say they are not shallow are hypocrites because they would not go up to the fat guy and start chatting they would go up to the handsome guy.
Original post by Magic96
You here it all the time. "I dont care about how good looking he is as long as we're on the right wave length and he makes me laugh and loves me. Thats all i care about"

But i see even these nice, affectionate guys get turned down by the pretty, nice, polite girls (not sluts) because they're too mesmerised by the really handsome lad with broad shoulders and a six pac.

when you're out a guy is carassing his girl who happens to be checking out the pretty boy as he walks past with come-to-bed eyes.

Even if they dont mean to, they cant help it. They could be having a wonderful time out with hubby at the mall hand in hand and then out of no way comes a pretty boy and they cant help but check him out good and proper. You see it all the time. Everywhere.

I've never really seen it, but ok. I have to be attracted to a guy, but it isn't as important how he looks. When you like someone, they seem more attractive. And for me, attractive isn't tall with a six pack.

Being nice isn't an automatic pass for someone accepting you. It's a pretty basic requirement. If the handsome guy has the basic quality of being nice, as well as her getting on with him much better and him making her laugh much more, of choose she'll go for him.

I've seen more guys checking out girls whilst with their girlfriend than girls, to be honest.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Physical attraction is important.

The way I see it, looks start to matter less if the pair can talk well and are interested in each other.

It's the same reason why you don't always find the most athletic girl in your year the most attractive.

To say that looks or something like that don't play a part in whether they're attracted to each other is pointless.
Original post by Magic96

when you're out a guy is carassing his girl who happens to be checking out the pretty boy as he walks past with come-to-bed eyes.

Even if they dont mean to, they cant help it. They could be having a wonderful time out with hubby at the mall hand in hand and then out of no way comes a pretty boy and they cant help but check him out good and proper. You see it all the time. Everywhere.

Ok but do these 'nice, affectionate' guys try it with the nice, polite but not-so-pretty girls? Yes, I didn't think so.

And as if men don't look at women they find attractive when they're with their partners. You're clearly insecure if you're watching fit guys to see if girls look at them.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Toomanyoptions
yes they are lying, as bad as it is people who say they are not shallow are hypocrites because they would not go up to the fat guy and start chatting they would go up to the handsome guy.

There is a whole spectrum in between absolute drop-dead gorgeous and greasy, fat slob. Being handsome does not guarantee someone's affection - attention perhaps - so in essence people are not lying.
Reply 8
There is an element of truth in what OP is a saying.

For girls looks are so important in this day and age no matter what they say. Girls say they aren't shallow as a front but deep inside they crave for the good looking guy. I've seen girls go psycho over good looking guys they barely even know, it's so pathetic.

I know a girls who bang on about what qualities they like in a man and then in comes a good looking guy and all those desired qualities goes straight out the window :rolleyes:

I know genuinely nice, caring, top guys who don't even get a look in from girls because they are not attractive enough. And I know guys who are stupid and have little to no personality who all the girls talk about and get wet over.

Even the seemingly nice, polite girls quiver at the knees over the good looking douchbags, which has made me start to lose faith in girls and humanity altogether.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
If they say appearance doesn't matter at all, they are probably lying, as obese guys are excluded. But if they say they are not very visual, they are not lying - men are more visual than women.
Physical attraction is important, but that is not just about 'classic' good looks. If a man is a 5 on the scale looks wise, but is funny, charismatic, confident, rich or has high social status, a woman can be 'fooled' into thinking he is better looking than he is. All the attractive girls I know in relationships are with men of this kind.
However this preference changes with age, most teenage girls are more visual than older women. Firstly because it takes some time to realize that you cannot base a relationship on looks, secondly because when women reach commitment-age, they value stability and success more than looks.
I am not very visual when it comes to men, but that does not mean I don't care about physical attractiveness - I care about it a LOT. It's just that a man's personality will always shine through. I like a certain 'style' and look though, and I need him to be in decent shape (that means not fat or anorexic, but I don't care about a six pack AT ALL). Several guys I have dated have been "a lot less attractive than me", according to friends. But of course they've been attractive to me.
Growing up, the 'hot' guys at school were confident guys from wealthy families, with high social status. They were never the best looking ones.
(edited 11 years ago)
When it comes to relationships in general, I find girls tend to say things they would like to be true, partly because society has told them thats they want. There is nothing wrong with that, I think thats just part of the "why do girls date jerks" questions that constantly crop up. Society tells women, and they in turn seem to repeat, the qualities they want in men. However guys who display none of these qualities do fine, often seemingly do pretty well with girls.

Looks matter to both men and women, there is no reason why they wouldn't. I do think looks matter less to women though.
Reply 11
Original post by Millie228
If they say appearance doesn't matter at all, they are probably lying, as obese guys are excluded. But if they say they are not very visual, they are not lying - men are more visual than women.
Physical attraction is important, but that is not just about 'classic' good looks. If a man is a 5 on the scale looks wise, but is funny, charismatic, confident, rich or has high social status, a woman can be 'fooled' into thinking he is better looking than he is. All the attractive girls I know in relationships are with men of this kind.
However this preference changes with age, most teenage girls are more visual than older women. Firstly because it takes some time to realize that you cannot base a relationship on looks, secondly because when women reach commitment-age, they value stability and success more than looks.
I am not very visual when it comes to men, but that does not mean I don't care about physical attractiveness - I care about it a LOT. It's just that a man's personality will always shine through. I like a certain 'style' and look though, and I need him to be in decent shape (that means not fat or anorexic, but I don't care about a six pack AT ALL). Several guys I have dated have been "a lot less attractive than me", according to friends. But of course they've been attractive to me.
Growing up, the 'hot' guys at school were confident guys from wealthy families, with high social status. They were never the best looking ones.

LOL this is what OP is talking about :facepalm2:
Original post by MancBoy
There is an element of truth in what OP is a saying.

For girls looks are so important in this day and age no matter what they say. Girls say they aren't shallow as a front but deep inside they crave for the good looking guy. I've seen girls go psycho over good looking guys they barely even know, it's so pathetic.

I know a girls who bang on about what qualities they like in a man and then in comes a good looking guy and all those desired qualities goes straight out the window :rolleyes:

I know genuinely nice, caring, top guys who don't even get a look in from girls because they are not attractive enough. And I know guys who are stupid and have little to no personality who all the girls talk about and get wet over.

Even the seemingly nice, polite girls quiver at the knees over the good looking douchbags which has made me start to lose faith in girls and humanity altogether.

The exact same applies to men. Seriously the guys on here really need to get over themselves. The guys you know who don't get a look in are lusting over girls out of their league - if they picked equally nice, caring intelligent girls they would have no problem.

And stop with the jealousy, it's literally seeping out your pores. Not all the good looking guys are douchebags.
This is a big lie . No need to be a prophet to understand.
Original post by MancBoy

Plus what girls find 'attractive' quite often doesn't fit within the universally handsome/fit type.
Reply 15
Reply 16
Original post by MancBoy

Are you dumb?
Looks = what you look like
Physical attraction = your desire to have sex with someone
You can have the latter without the former, because you find the person 'overall' attractive even though they don't classic good looks.
Reply 17
Original post by Nomes89
The exact same applies to men. Seriously the guys on here really need to get over themselves. The guys you know who don't get a look in are lusting over girls out of their league - if they picked equally nice, caring intelligent girls they would have no problem.

And stop with the jealousy, it's literally seeping out your pores. Not all the good looking guys are douchebags.

It's strange, in threads like this there's always at least one bitter person (other than the OP) who just has to attribute a negative quality to someone who's getting something they're not.
Original post by rlw31
It's strange, in threads like this there's always at least one bitter person (other than the OP) who just has to attribute a negative quality to someone who's getting something they're not.

There are countless on this forum though, and it's always the same ones. They completely resent women because they haven't had much/any success with them or they haven't been able to attain the good-looking ones they want while accusing those women of being shallow, all the while not even acknowledging existence of the female population that are intelligent, humorous and caring because they are unattractive.
Reply 19
Original post by MancBoy

Even the seemingly nice, polite girls quiver at the knees over the good looking douchbags, which has made me start to lose faith in girls and humanity altogether.

BINGO! This guy get's it.

It's right there staring everyone in the face all the time. I don't know why people are in denial.

Is there a biological basis to why women find good looking guys attractive? Perhaps.
Look at statues of greek gods who are considered desirable and you'll see what I mean. There are no "powerful" "masculine" gods who have a fat, round face or flabby belly. It's the way society has always been.

Whatever anyone tells you, one thing is obvious, and taking one look at society will confirm this - physical looks matter. The more physically attractive you are, the more people will want to partner up with you. It's a hard truth but that's the way things are.

I know where you're coming from mancboy, good looking people can tend to get away with a lot more whilst doing less work. It's not uncommon to see a really physically attractive person who dresses badly, is alcoholic or rude but still manages to line up a string of potential suitors. Realize that this behaviour is unnattractive. They're only getting away with it because their looks make up for the negative points.

(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending