The Student Room Group

Do you think that cricket is losing its popularity in england?

I hear that many people say its boring

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No, in fact its growing consistently according to Sport England.

Many people say a lot of stupid things. This is one example of that.
Reply 2
It's a laid back profession and it's never had much popularity to begin with.
Reply 3
Losing? It can't lose what it didn't have.

Any game where you get more points for whacking a rock hard ball into the crowd as opposed to keeping it in the boundaries makes no sense.
Reply 4
I'd imagine in terms of playing numbers it's just as popular, but in terms of spectator popularity I'd imagine that more people would be turning towards one day and 20/20, rather than test cricket.
Reply 5
Original post by rcummins1
I'd imagine in terms of playing numbers it's just as popular, but in terms of spectator popularity I'd imagine that more people would be turning towards one day and 20/20, rather than test cricket.

International Test cricket gets more spectators and tv viewers than any other form of the game.
Cricket has always been boring, whether it's the tedious test match format or the new twenty/twenty format.

Baseball is superior and I hope it becomes popular in this country one day.
Reply 7
Original post by rcummins1

How come the Ashes tickets sold out faster than Glastonbury then?

On the domestic front the T20 is easily the most popular tournament, and will be even more so now they've finally sorted out a sensible schedule. But no-one gives a monkeys about ODIs in this country, but Test Matches regularly pull in over 100,000 spectators.
Reply 8
Original post by tinkertailor
Cricket has always been boring, whether it's the tedious test match format or the new twenty/twenty format.

Which team do you play for?
Original post by Drewski
International Test cricket gets more spectators and tv viewers than any other form of the game.

Mainly because it's still more widely broadcast than 20/20, people can't watch what it isn't commonly aired.

I would agree that 20/20 is slowly becoming a much more popular trend of the game.
Reply 10
And, just to add, the old "it's boring" argument is only ever doled out by halfwits who really mean "I don't understand it/I have the attention span of a recently deceased newt"

Baseball is one of the worst team sports. I hope you're trolling saying it is superior
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by py0alb
Which team do you play for?

I play for the 'bring baseball to Britain' team :smile:

Cricket is such a boring and archaic sport.
Reply 13

You realise baseball has been played in the UK for decades?
Reply 14

Archaic? So because it's old we should forget it?

Baseball was first played and codified in the late 19th century. Well over 150years ago. Makes it quite old, too. So we should forget that too, right?

I'm going to ignore the boring remark. It's entirely subjective and means nothing. You don't like cricket. Fine. I don't like baseball. I find that boring. But you'd ignore that and say I'm wrong, wouldn't you?
Reply 15
Original post by py0alb

If anything, it's because of cricket that baseball exists, British immigrants went to the US with the ideas for bat-and-ball games and it evolved from there.
Original post by py0alb

Not nearly as much as it ought to be. I think it barely makes the top 10 most popular sports in the UK. But I hope it does become more popular. American Football is getting more popular here by the year after annual NFL matches at Wembley. It would be awesome if some of the US teams came here to play.
Reply 17
Original post by Drewski
If anything, it's because of cricket that baseball exists, British immigrants went to the US with the ideas for bat-and-ball games and it evolved from there.

I love baseball, I played it for a while until it started to mess with my shoulder... but if anything its probably even slower than cricket. You can see whole periods of the game where no-one hits the ball for like 20 minutes. Fascinating if you understand what you're looking at, but I've had plenty of cricketing friends complain about how boring it is by comparison.
Baseball suxs Baseball suxs Baseball suxs
England should really have a competive T20 league like the IPL. Its way better than any football league can be. And it'll make cricket more popular

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Im ashamed to say I don't really know the rules and it does seem rather boring to watch at least.

Quick Reply

Latest