The Student Room Group

The Finance and Accountancy Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tokyoround
Yeah, AML, CTF, all that fun stuff.

I'm a Kent alumnus if that counts.

I believe you currently work for the big 4, that's great. Which degree program did you do at Kent, A & F? Financial Mathematics? And did you do a year in industry?
Original post by J.Nalbandian14
I believe you currently work for the big 4, that's great. Which degree program did you do at Kent, A & F? Financial Mathematics? And did you do a year in industry?

It doesn't matter what degree you do.
I did Actuarial Science which is more or less the same as financial maths for the first year. Brotherhood is right though, it really doesn't matter too much what you study so long as it's fairly sensible and at a half decent uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Brotherhood
It doesn't matter what degree you do.

Yeah I know, I was just interested anyway but of course you are indeed right, my friend did a degree in Economics
Ok the reason I asked is because I got a job in the compliance department AML with a major bank. I do not really know what I want to do in the future I studied Accounting and finance at university of Southampton got a 2:1. I prefer Finabce to accounting and my 3 top modules were International banking, Tax policy and management accounting. I know I want to do a professional qualification but I do not know which.
How do people know what they want to do as a career long term. I know it will be helpful having a professional qualification such as CIMA, ACA, ACCA, or even a CFA.

I graduated in July 2011 and still have not decided what career path I would like to go and am starting to get really worried.

Yeah, AML, CTF, all that fun stuff.

I'm a Kent alumnus if that counts.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Londonpie72
Ok the reason I asked is because I got a job in the compliance department AML with a major bank. I do not really know what I want to do in the future I studied Accounting and finance at university of Southampton got a 2:1. I prefer Finabce to accounting and my 3 top modules were International banking, Tax policy and management accounting. I know I want to do a professional qualification but I do not know which.
How do people know what they want to do as a career long term. I know it will be helpful having a professional qualification such as CIMA, ACA, ACCA, or even a CFA.

I graduated in July 2011 and still have not decided what career path I would like to go and am starting to get really worried.

Most people don't really know what they want to do long term. There are the lucky few tat have known exactly what they want to do from a young age and know how to get there. I'm sure even those of us doing qualifications here have some rough idea of where would like to be, but realise this could easily change over time.

Do you like the compliance stuff or want to do something else?
Thanks for the reply. I start on Monday 18th with Citi its a 9 months fixed term contract for now. Some people I told were like is it the role I wanted and so got me thinking of my career path. I know I want to work in the finance department will see what happens.

Most people don't really know what they want to do long term. There are the lucky few tat have known exactly what they want to do from a young age and know how to get there. I'm sure even those of us doing qualifications here have some rough idea of where would like to be, but realise this could easily change over time.

Do you like the compliance stuff or want to do something else?
No work for five weeks! YESSSSS.
No work for five weeks! YESSSSS.

Nice one! Off to college? If so what module(s)?
Original post by Tactical Nuclear Penguin
Nice one! Off to college? If so what module(s)?

FR/FM/BS
FR/FM/BS

I should be exempt from FM, joy!

Really want to just finish Uni now and get to work; I miss earning a salary so much!
whaddup guys

i had a couple of questions that i was wondering you could answer...

firstly a bit about myself.
i am a yr 11 student
predicted 10 - 11 A* GCSEs, 1 a (English), though only time will tell how well in them i do!!!
chosen options for A levels subjects: German (AS level only), maths stats, physics and economics
i am aiming for an accounting and finance degree from the top 3 universities, lse, warwick and bath.

i was wondering, what would do you think the chances of me getting into these unis would be???

as previously mentioned, i am aiming for an accounting and finance degree with an aim to getting a job in a city bank and specifically in the finance department; preferably with analysis being a main header.

my main question is; this field of accounting and finance, is it rewarding? In the sense that i love maths (4 of my GCSE options are maths based) and i love the idea of making crucial decisions when it comes to money. and that a lot of time will be taken up with exams eg cfa (only one i can remember off the top of my head!) that is it all worth it????

thanks

tazza :-)
No idea what your chances of getting into those unis are, if I had that sort of foresight I would have won the lottery years ago and would not be spending my days flicking between Excel and Sky Sports news.

It's up to you to perform well in your GCSEs/A-levels and write a decent personal statement with the help of your school/college. I wouldn't obsess about it too much at your age, enjoy being young.

Original post by tazza ma razza

my main question is; this field of accounting and finance, is it rewarding? In the sense that i love maths (4 of my GCSE options are maths based) and i love the idea of making crucial decisions when it comes to money.

Have you considered becoming a bus driver:

- Rewarding (helping people commute everyday)
- Maths everyday (calculating average time/speed/distance, ticket prices)
- Crucial financial decisions, such as, whether you should pay off your credit card or pay the rent this month

Have you considered becoming a bus driver:

- Rewarding (helping people commute everyday)
- Maths everyday (calculating average time/speed/distance, ticket prices)
- Crucial financial decisions, such as, whether you should pay off your credit card or pay the rent this month

hahahahahahaha thanks for making me smile. oh by the way, you could have at least been a tad more helpful and at least answer my questions instead of being a sarcastic. a simple yes / no or such answer would have sufficed. word of advice, research the profession, an accounting and finance graduate does not go and work as a bus driver you moron. i stated in my question as to what i was aiming for. can you not read?!?!?!?!?!? not once did i mention being a bus driver!!!!!

any other VALUABLE responses would be much appreciated

thanks

tazza
(edited 11 years ago)
What kind of information do you think would impress a potential employer? I know where they stand in the largest accountancy rank, their 2012 fee income, the services they offer and when the two companies joined to become one.

It's a medium/ small company I have an interview with. Any other information I could find out that would really impress them? :biggrin:
Reply 295
Original post by Runninground
What kind of information do you think would impress a potential employer? I know where they stand in the largest accountancy rank, their 2012 fee income, the services they offer and when the two companies joined to become one.

It's a medium/ small company I have an interview with. Any other information I could find out that would really impress them? :biggrin:

Their corporate social responsibility programme, % of fee that come from audit/tax, reading any articles published by the senior executives of the firm, recent accounting regulation changes (some big ones recently)..
Original post by Runninground

A good one is to know the breakdown of fees earned, eg x% tax, y% recovery because it shows you've done your research and they always ask 'so tell me what you know about the firm?'

EDIT: already mentioned
Reply 297
whaddup guys

i had a couple of questions that i was wondering you could answer...

firstly a bit about myself.
i am a yr 11 student
predicted 10 - 11 A* GCSEs, 1 a (English), though only time will tell how well in them i do!!!
chosen options for A levels subjects: German (AS level only), maths stats, physics and economics
i am aiming for an accounting and finance degree from the top 3 universities, lse, warwick and bath.

i was wondering, what would do you think the chances of me getting into these unis would be???

as previously mentioned, i am aiming for an accounting and finance degree with an aim to getting a job in a city bank and specifically in the finance department; preferably with analysis being a main header.

my main question is; this field of accounting and finance, is it rewarding? In the sense that i love maths (4 of my GCSE options are maths based) and i love the idea of making crucial decisions when it comes to money. and that a lot of time will be taken up with exams eg cfa (only one i can remember off the top of my head!) that is it all worth it????

thanks

tazza :-)

Going to be straightforward with you here. You'll probably change your mind several times over in the next few years, especially your degree choice/A-level choices (as I did). If you get strong GCSE grades and decent A-level grades, you'll have a strong shot at the unis you mentioned.

Another thing to bear in mind when applying to uni is having a strong extra-curricular profile to communicate your passion on your personal statement. But that's ages away, jut work moderately hard and keep exploring the different career options open to you. The reason you are getting sarcastic responses is because you haven't achieved any results or have tangible evidence to suggest you want to pursue accountancy/finance - compare that to someone who may post on here asking for specific advice on which uni to attend in order to gain a place at the Big 4 firms, it may be a very different response.
hahahahahahaha thanks for making me smile. oh by the way, you could have at least been a tad more helpful and at least answer my questions instead of being a sarcastic. a simple yes / no or such answer would have sufficed. word of advice, research the profession, an accounting and finance graduate does not go and work as a bus driver you moron. i stated in my question as to what i was aiming for. can you not read?!?!?!?!?!? not once did i mention being a bus driver!!!!!

any other VALUABLE responses would be much appreciated

thanks

tazza

roll on the valuable responses...
Reply 299
Original post by monk_keys
A good one is to know the breakdown of fees earned, eg x% tax, y% recovery because it shows you've done your research and they always ask 'so tell me what you know about the firm?'

EDIT: already mentioned

That's always a good one. I brought up corporate social responsibility/Olympics 2012 at my Deloitte interview (they were the main accountants for it), the partner absolutely loved it. Good 20 minute conversation out of that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending