The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Sheffield applicants 2014

I know it's a little bit early, but are any AS students thinking of applying here?

It's my first choice hopefully should I get the grades this year. If I do, applying for computer science.

Anyone else?

We have created a stalking page for Sheffield applicants in 2014, LINK.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by chigyy
I know it's a little bit early, but are any AS students thinking of applying here?

It's my first choice hopefully should I get the grades this year. If I do, applying for computer science.

Anyone else?

Oh cool, I'm in year 12 as well and thinking of applying, hopefully I get the grades. how did you find your summer exams?:smile:
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 2
Original post by Lisaxiaoli
Oh cool, I'm in year 12 as well and thinking of applying, hopefully I get the grades. how did you find your summer exams?:smile:

I found them much easier than January tbh. Didn't do too well in Jan, got ACDD.

How about you?
Original post by chigyy

Anyone else?

I'm interested - since I live in Sheffield. I've heard the computer science (or IT etc.) department are good at Sheffield. The campus' are quite stretched out and I don't know exactly where the department is, but (I'm sure you've seen this numerous times - but just in case you haven't) check out: http://www.shef.ac.uk/dcs/computer-science-home for all the details if you're someone who is rather pedantic. However, there is a central "hub" campus where a lot of the departments are. Furthermore, the student life is rather good, all the night clubs are on West Street (along with a Nandos :colondollar:) which are apparently good. Meadowhall is a huge shopping centre, but Sheffield town centre is just as good. So overall - it's a good University to go to! Best of luck for your AS results!
Reply 4
Original post by YorkshireLad.
I'm interested - since I live in Sheffield. I've heard the computer science (or IT etc.) department are good at Sheffield. The campus' are quite stretched out and I don't know exactly where the department is, but (I'm sure you've seen this numerous times - but just in case you haven't) check out: http://www.shef.ac.uk/dcs/computer-science-home for all the details if you're someone who is rather pedantic. However, there is a central "hub" campus where a lot of the departments are. Furthermore, the student life is rather good, all the night clubs are on West Street (along with a Nandos :colondollar:) which are apparently good. Meadowhall is a huge shopping centre, but Sheffield town centre is just as good. So overall - it's a good University to go to! Best of luck for your AS results!

Thanks for the info - good luck with your AS results as well.

I'm also having second thoughts about computer science, stuck between that and maths, however I do have quite a while till I apply.

Anyone going on any open days?
Original post by chigyy
Thanks for the info - good luck with your AS results as well.

I'm also having second thoughts about computer science, stuck between that and maths, however I do have quite a while till I apply.

Anyone going on any open days?

Hello :smile: I'm almost definitely going to apply for Sheffield; I'm going on an open day there tomorrow which will influence whether I apply or not. Are you going?
Reply 6
Original post by Wild Nothing
Hello :smile: I'm almost definitely going to apply for Sheffield; I'm going on an open day there tomorrow which will influence whether I apply or not. Are you going?

I'm going to the open day tomorrow too! :smile: Thinking of applying for either Chemistry or Biochemistry, what course are you thinking of?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Wild Nothing

Nah I can't make it tomorrow, may go on the 9th or 10th with a friend. Tell me how it goes :smile:

Original post by lizz-ie
I'm going to the open day tomorrow too! :smile: Thinking of applying for either Chemistry or Biochemistry, what course are you thinking of?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's good, I was going to apply for Chem, but didn't do as well as I hoped in January.

Now I'm stuck between Maths and Computer Science.
Reply 8
Original post by chigyy
Nah I can't make it tomorrow, may go on the 9th or 10th with a friend. Tell me how it goes :smile:

I'm so excited, will do! :smile:

Original post by chigyy
That's good, I was going to apply for Chem, but didn't do as well as I hoped in January.

Now I'm stuck between Maths and Computer Science.

That's a shame :frown: What did you get?

Maths all the way! I'd apply for Maths if I was good enough at it (and if there were more interesting jobs relating to Maths)
Reply 9
Original post by lizz-ie
I'm so excited, will do! :smile:

That's a shame :frown: What did you get?

Maths all the way! I'd apply for Maths if I was good enough at it (and if there were more interesting jobs relating to Maths)

Got a D :frown: However, I think I smashed the F321 retake (hopefully an A) and F322 was quite good as well, probably a high B or low A.

Are you with OCR?
Reply 10
Original post by chigyy
Got a D :frown: However, I think I smashed the F321 retake (hopefully an A) and F322 was quite good as well, probably a high B or low A.

Are you with OCR?

Yes, but Salters :frown: for some bizarre reason, I found F332 easier than F331 hahah, did both this summer though :smile: what other subjects do you do? I do Biology, Maths and Further Maths :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by lizz-ie
Yes, but Salters :frown: for some bizarre reason, I found F332 easier than F331 hahah, did both this summer though :smile: what other subjects do you do? I do Biology, Maths and Further Maths :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah, I heard salters was harder.

I take Accounting (dropping), Business, Maths and Chemistry.

I'm definitely dropping accounting, may also drop business and take up FM, but not too sure.
Reply 12
Original post by chigyy
Ah, I heard salters was harder.

I take Accounting (dropping), Business, Maths and Chemistry.

I'm definitely dropping accounting, may also drop business and take up FM, but not too sure.

It's not THAT bad at the moment, but apparently the A2 coursework makes everyone want to die :/ I'm doing Biology, Chemistry and Maths to A2, and doing the Further Maths AS over both years :smile: you should do it to AS definitely, FP1 isn't that bad at all (the exam on Monday was pretty difficult though) and then you just need two other applied modules, and unis love it for Maths and Comp Sci!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by lizz-ie
It's not THAT bad at the moment, but apparently the A2 coursework makes everyone want to die :/ I'm doing Biology, Chemistry and Maths to A2, and doing the Further Maths AS over both years :smile: you should do it to AS definitely, FP1 isn't that bad at all (the exam on Monday was pretty difficult though) and then you just need two other applied modules, and unis love it for Maths and Comp Sci!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm gonna have a talk with my head of maths once the results come out. Hoping for at least ABC or ABB... probably gonna get a s D in accounting flopped them.

Good luck on any other exams you have left, if you have any.
Reply 14
I'm going to the open day before I decide but I may be applying here for medicine :smile:
I'm going to the open day tomorrow as well :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by g.k.galloway
I'm going to the open day before I decide but I may be applying here for medicine :smile:

Original post by lauraaaaa
I'm going to the open day tomorrow as well :smile:

Have fun today, maybe see you there! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by lizz-ie

Posted from TSR Mobile

What time you going?
Reply 18
Original post by lizz-ie