The Student Room Group

If you don't go to Oxford or Cambridge then your Uni is crap.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tarquin Digby
I think you mean "If you don't go to Cambridge then your Uni is crap".

Oxford is plebeian tier and people need to stop putting it in the same category as Cambridge.

Harvard and MIT are also massively overrated and full of dumb (Sorry, I mean, "well rounded") Americlaps.

Oxford champs Cambridge in the arts.
So much snobbery right here, TSR needs to stop with it's pathetic Oxbridge bum licking.

Just because you don't go to Oxbridge doesn't mean your uni is crap, and it definitely doesn't make you any worse than someone who does.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by clh_hilary
Oxford champs Cambridge in the arts.

You don't wanna say that, TSR is well known for its STEM snobbery and I guarantee someone will say that 'arts aren't important though' :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
Original post by majmuh24
You don't wanna say that, TSR is well known for its STEM snobbery and I guarantee someone will say that 'arts aren't important though' :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tarquin himself will say that, just watch
Reply 24
Yup Bristol and Leeds were so crap that I have now secured the best funding available for a PhD in my field.

Why did I even bother to do a non Oxbridge degree?
Original post by majmuh24

Posted from TSR Mobile

According to QS, Oxford is also better than Cambridge in medicine, pharmacy, mathematics, geography, etc.

Out of the 5 faculties categorised by QS, Oxford ranks higher in 3: Social sciences, arts and humanities, as well as life sciences and medicine.

Breaking all disciplines down, Cambridge is No 1 in 1 area globally, whilst Oxford is No 1 in 3.

All of these with a smaller endowment and similarly lengthy history and geography.

But that post was very likely to be sarcastic so anyway.
Reply 26
According to QS, Oxford is also better than Cambridge in medicine, pharmacy, mathematics, geography, etc.

Out of the 5 faculties categorised by QS, Oxford ranks higher in 3: Social sciences, arts and humanities, as well as life sciences and medicine.

Breaking all disciplines down, Cambridge is No 1 in 1 area globally, whilst Oxford is No 1 in 3.

All of these with a smaller endowment and similarly lengthy history and geography.

There is no way Oxford is better than Cambridge for maths :lol:
Your university is only 'crap' if a degree from there isn't able to get you where you want to be.
Reply 28
Original post by James222
True, if you want to be PM or CEO of a FTSE100 company , you need dat oxbridge paper

7/10 of the CEOs of the top 10 FTSE100 companies by market capitalization never went to Oxbridge :smile:

Best country in EU today is Germany, never had a Chancellor that went to Oxbridge.

Norway never had a PM or a minister that went to Oxbridge, currently is one of the few countries in Europe that has an excess of jobs, has among the highest standards of living in the world and leads the UN Human Development Index and has done so for quite a few years where UK despite nearly every PM having an Oxbridge education trails at number 27 :smile:
Original post by alow

Well, the three other big rankings with mathematics do all rank Oxford lower than Cambridge. (The Guardian, The Complete University Guide, ARWN).
Orientals all the way!

UCAS and the British Council have pointed out that an A in GCE A-level equals to merely a C in Hong Kong A-level.

Well isn't that peculiar? If the education system is so much better in HK then why do you come here to study? Also, just because grade boundaries are higher, it doesn't mean the exams are worth more as they could be easier papers.
Original post by Robbie242
So much snobbery in this thread. Yes the SAT papers are a joke but have you actually looked at the university teaching itself?
Can't believe some people have the audacity to agree with a guy like Tarquin...

How exactly is the SAT papers a joke? :smile:
Original post by James222
True, if you want to be PM or CEO of a FTSE100 company , you need dat oxbridge paper
Load of bull. John major never went to university, and several CEOs were picked out for their previous experience and commitment rather than their education.
Original post by Alfissti
7/10 of the CEOs of the top 10 FTSE100 companies by market capitalization never went to Oxbridge :smile:

Best country in EU today is Germany, never had a Chancellor that went to Oxbridge.

Norway never had a PM or a minister that went to Oxbridge, currently is one of the few countries in Europe that has an excess of jobs, has among the highest standards of living in the world and leads the UN Human Development Index and has done so for quite a few years where UK despite nearly every PM having an Oxbridge education trails at number 27 :smile:

When that poster said PM, I'm pretty sure s/he means the British Prime Minister. Leaders in a country are quite likely to be graduates of locally good universities so that's really just to say that it's the best domestically. Like how politicians in Hong Kong are likely to have studied at The University of Hong Kong, or how the last three Australian prime ministers have been from The University of Sydney (Abbott), Australian National University (Rudd), and The University of Melbourne (Gillard). Angela Merkel went to Leipzig University which is a good school in Germany (No 2) but pretty much flopped on global league tables and unknown.

If anything, having a foreign country's leader to be from that university only shows that this university is very likely to be really, really top, though that's only a plus. That's like how Abbott and Bill Clinton both read at Oxford, how the last chief executive of Hong Kong went to Harvard, or how the current PM of Singapore went to both Cambridge and Harvard.
Original post by SmallDuck
Well isn't that peculiar? If the education system is so much better in HK then why do you come here to study? Also, just because grade boundaries are higher, it doesn't mean the exams are worth more as they could be easier papers.

Disregarding the fact that I will already have a degree locally and that there are British people who went to Oxbridge and study further in Hong Kong, that was merely a sarcastic comment to show that I don't that means anything.

But you are not making sense whatsoever. UCAS and British Council said a person who obtained a C in HKAL is likely to get an A in GCE AL. It's not an 'easier paper'.
Original post by Robbie242
Tarquin himself will say that, just watch

LOl, some of the people here are so obsessed with Oxbridge :lol: I wouldn't be surprised TBH.

It wasn't a comment on arts or which uni is better, just what I expected someone to say.

Original post by alow

There's no way Cambridge is better than the French Ecole Normal Superiore (something like that I think).

Apparently even IMO people have struggled there o_O

France has the most Field Medals after all, they have to have some secret :colone:
Original post by RoyalBlue7
How exactly is the SAT papers a joke? :smile:

Compared to STEP (at least for maths) they are a joke.
Reply 37
*wavesdarkbluewillyaround* Yay, let's all pat ourselves on the back for doing well in an interview age 17!
Original post by SmallDuck
Load of bull. John major never went to university, and several CEOs were picked out for their previous experience and commitment rather than their education.

I think the point is about the likelihood, not to pick exceptions and disprove a whole point as it is quite obviously not the only way to be a PM.

Out of 53 British prime ministers:
27 went to Oxford;
14 went to Cambridge;
9 never went to a university;
2 went to Edinburgh;
1 went to Birmingham;
and another 1 went to Leiden.

As for the CEOs...Oxford actually only ranks No 21 globally based on that. But it is No 1 among British schools, with Cambridge at No 2 but down all the way to No 45.
Original post by Pullman
*wavesdarkbluewillyaround* Yay, let's all pat ourselves on the back for doing well in an interview age 17!

Well then you're saying that postgraduates who don't go to Oxbridge are only going to crap universities then.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending