The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Sussex Uni Freshers 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Guys, if you want to know more about Sussex and want me to share my experiences with you, feel free to post your questions on here. I am currently finishing my first year at Sussex, so I have some free time... :biggrin:
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Reply 21
Original post by VLAGRO
Guys, if you want to know more about Sussex and want me to share my experiences with you, feel free to post your questions on here. I am currently finishing my first year at Sussex, so I have some free time... :biggrin:

This might seem a bit random, but did you or anyone you know take a TV and if so can you get an ariel to have Sky or freeview in the accommodation etc.
Guys who are asking about how social accomodation is - it totally depends on your flatmates. I know people in Northfield who's flats have been party-central and people in East Slope who have had a really unsociable year. Choose where you want based on facilities and then if you're lucky you get what you want.
Original post by chloemily
This might seem a bit random, but did you or anyone you know take a TV and if so can you get an ariel to have Sky or freeview in the accommodation etc.

I don't know about any other accommodation but Northfield has aerial sockets in the kitchen.
Reply 24

My flatmate has a TV, but I do not think TV costs can be included in the accommodation.

On the topic of accommodation, I totally support the previous poster. I live in East Slope and I have seen both perspectives. Although I truly believe that it totally depends on your mindset towards social life, flatmates can really make you either more sociable or not. That is why, choose based on your preferred appliances, but bare in mind that you will pay 100+ per week for a room that is not bigger than East Slope. I know some people do not care that much, but if you are not that much about en-suite, choose East Slope. In the end, every accommodation depends on what YOU make of it. Choose wisely and have a nice Fresher year.
Reply 25
^ Thanks :smile:

Also, how is the wifi in the rooms? Or does it depend which accommodation you have?
Reply 26
Do not get me started on that issue. For most of the year, we had bad internet (and from what I heard people in Northfield did not have Wi-Fi at some point at all). It felt like we were in the 90's for 3+ weeks. However, it has since been upgraded and I have not heard any objections. I think (= not sure) that there will be major update to the Internet system for next year's freshers, but you can never be sure.

To answer directly to your question: It does not depend where you are (= how much you pay), because the system is equal to every accommodation.

Also, (and this goes out to everybody), I think many of you would not be familiar with this issue so it is better if I told you.
As many of you know, the Sussex campus is 4-5 miles distant from Brighton and Hove. Thus, for going out, you either have to use bus or train. However, as trains are not that convenient, many of us prefer buses (23 or 25, as they come to campus). The good part is that 25 runs 24/7, so you can always get home after a night out. Another great point I can make is that you can get a return ticket and it is valid until 5AM on the next day (so, if you go out you can get home with the same ticket).

However, that is where it all turns ugly. All of the buses in town are owned by one company, which has forced other competitors out of the market in previous years. Thus, that one company has a monopoly over the student population, which is dependent on buses to go to work, or home, if you live in Brighton. Whilst it is true that the company offers 7-day tickets, which cost 12.50 or all-year passes (around C300 if I am not mistaken), most freshers live on campus so they do not go to town that often. As it currently stands, a day return ticket costs C3.70, and it is subject to increase by September. Also, a single ticket costs 2.30 as of now. In February 2011, a return ticket had cost only C2 and a single C1.

Sorry for the long post, but I thought you should know that before you come as it was a major blow to many of us, who rode the bus for the first time. Luckily, we came up with a solution, but because I do not want to advertise, if anyone wants to know, write me a PM.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 27
Original post by VLAGRO
Do not get me started on that issue. For most of the year, we had bad internet (and from what I heard people in Northfield did not have Wi-Fi at some point at all). It felt like we were in the 90's for 3+ weeks. However, it has since been upgraded and I have not heard any objections. I think (= not sure) that there will be major update to the Internet system for next year's freshers, but you can never be sure.

To answer directly to your question: It does not depend where you are (= how much you pay), because the system is equal to every accommodation.

Also, (and this goes out to everybody), I think many of you would not be familiar with this issue so it is better if I told you.
As many of you know, the Sussex campus is 4-5 miles distant from Brighton and Hove. Thus, for going out, you either have to use bus or train. However, as trains are not that convenient, many of us prefer buses (23 or 25, as they come to campus). The good part is that 25 runs 24/7, so you can always get home after a night out. Another great point I can make is that you can get a return ticket and it is valid until 5AM on the next day (so, if you go out you can get home with the same ticket).

However, that is where it all turns ugly. All of the buses in town are owned by one company, which has forced other competitors out of the market in previous years. Thus, that one company has a monopoly over the student population, which is dependent on buses to go to work, or home, if you live in Brighton. Whilst it is true that the company offers 7-day tickets, which cost 12.50 or all-year passes (around C300 if I am not mistaken), most freshers live on campus so they do not go to town that often. As it currently stands, a day return ticket costs C3.70, and it is subject to increase by September. Also, a single ticket costs 2.30 as of now. In February 2011, a return ticket had cost only C2 and a single C1.

Sorry for the long post, but I thought you should know that before you come as it was a major blow to many of us, who rode the bus for the first time. Luckily, we came up with a solution, but because I do not want to advertise, if anyone wants to know, write me a PM.

Oh well if it's been upgraded then that sounds alright :smile: I was just worried that after being use to good internet at home, I'd be in for a massive shock when I get there, and I know it won't be as good as home anyway but as long as it's not too bad then that's good! :biggrin:

That does sound a bit expensive!! I'm going to miss the luxury of having a car tbh :frown: Do many people cycle? How long would that take or is it not very plausible?
Reply 28
Hey everyone, how long did it take for you to get the accomodation form after you firmed etc?

Just wondering (:
Reply 29
Oh well if it's been upgraded then that sounds alright :smile: I was just worried that after being use to good internet at home, I'd be in for a massive shock when I get there, and I know it won't be as good as home anyway but as long as it's not too bad then that's good! :biggrin:

That does sound a bit expensive!! I'm going to miss the luxury of having a car tbh :frown: Do many people cycle? How long would that take or is it not very plausible?

Well, cycling takes about 25-30 minutes to get to town centre, but many people are faster so it is like 20-ish minutes. There is a perfect support system (cycling areas, road signs) for cyclists so it is plausible, but unless you live or work in town you will not need to go there that much. And yes, most of the people who cycle live or work in town. Of interest to you may also be the cycling society in uni, as they know more and offer support and maintenance of your bicycle.
Hey, I'm a mature student (23 years old) coming to study Philosophy :smile: firmed my place and flat hunting at the moment! Would love to talk to some people before I move down because I know no-one
Original post by jowsm
Hey everyone, how long did it take for you to get the accomodation form after you firmed etc?

Just wondering (:

Hey, I have an unconditional for politics and international relations too! can't wait to start. where are you from internationally? :smile:
Reply 32
Original post by mlabstudent
Hey, I have an unconditional for politics and international relations too! can't wait to start. where are you from internationally? :smile:

I'm from Brazil!

And you? (:

I can't wait to start either! Counting the days!
Original post by jowsm
I'm from Brazil!

And you? (:

I can't wait to start either! Counting the days!

Ahh cool! I'm from London :smile:
Hi,

Im gonna be study English and Philosophy next year (i have an unconditional offer as i tired a different uni last year but didn't enjoy it) and I have applied to stay in the Brighthelm accommodation! Anything anyone can tell me about these things, about sussex and Brighton etc? CHEERS!
Original post by rachelmolly
I have just been told I have an unconditional offer from Sussex uni, meaning im definitely going there in september..
anyone else been lucky enough to have this happen?
and anyone deffo keen to start there this year?!

me too! unconditional offer for English and Philosophy
Original post by VLAGRO

Ahh, 3.70 doesn't sound so bad for a day ticket, here in London a single journey WITH an Oyster card sets me back £1.40, never mind without, which would be double for a SINGLE bus. Now that's extortionate.
Hi,
I've just firmed my offer for law this September and will defo be going (fingers crossed) once I get my predicted grades. Uhh was just wondering if anyone could mention some really really good clubs or bars in Brighton since I've never been before 😄

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got an unconditional offer for Economics.

I've applied for Swanborough, Lewes Court 2 and Northfield :smile:
Hey everyone!

Theres a group set up for us here with a few of us other Sussex offer holders having a chat

https://www.facebook.com/groups/867271203284921

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending