The Student Room Group

My experience with Access to HE.

Hello everyone, its been almost a year now since I first decided to actually take charge of my life and get the education I needed. Before taking this step I was literally doing nothing. I come from a quite privileged family so I didn't feel like I needed to work for anything in life. This reasoning saw me wasting years away just enjoying myself and not taking anything seriously. Now after the majority of the course is over and exams are fast approaching I feel so happy that I decided to do go back into education. But enough about me!

The Access to HE course I choose was Business and I attend Birmingham Metropolitan College - Sutton Coldfield Campus (so if anyone who's interested in Access to HE: Business or studying at Sutton Coldfield college just ask any questions you have and ill answer as well as I can.

At the start of the course everything was slightly intimidating, I had been out of education for the last 6 years and when I was in education I did really horribly, mainly because I didn't bother with the assignments or homework. So yeah at the start I was thinking things like: oh **** im going to last one week then drop out. Looking back now its kinda funny really.

First things first, yes this access course is the equivalent of 3-4 A-levels (depending on what course you choose), however there is NOT a lot of work! There is little to no homework and 9/12 courses are assessed on Essay/reports. Thats right, there are only 3 exams! And for those who are panicking at the thought of having to write long assignments let me put your nerves at ease. The first 3 assignments we were issued were 500 words. 500 words is approximately 1 A4 page of paper with font size 12. These three assignments were all that we got until the middle of October. These assignments were easy just to ease you into learning again and to give you a chance to learn how to Harvard reference before the longer and more important assignments.

The next three assignments we were 1000 words each. Oh the horror! Having to write 2 Pages isn't that much more then 1 page in reality. Once you get going (and they do make sure to give u interesting topics to research and write about) the extra 500 words will go by so fast. Most of the time you end up hitting the word count and having to cut down on your assignment.

Remember when I said that I was a ****ty student in school? I thought for sure I would scrape by with Passes but nothing ells (low self confidence maybe?). Well people, so far I have received distinction in every single assignment that was Lvl3 (Lvl2 assignments u can only get a pass or fail on). I guess what I'm trying to say is that its not hard! So what if u weren't the best student at school? Just put a tinny bit off effort in now and you will get the high grades you always wanted.

Anyway, on to the summer term, 3 assignments each consisting of 2000 words. Alright so these assignments are harder now and the word count is doubled. However the topics you are set to write about are a lot more interesting and you pretty much get to choose what you write about. Believe me 2000 words go by in no time. Im currently finishing off the last 2000 word assignment I have and its been so much fun researching an area of interest that I'm kinda sad to see my word count reaching towards the finish line.

Exams.. well since I havent had any yet I can say much about them, however 2 out of the 3 exams you are allowed to bring in your notes. Only hand written ones, but still...

Obviously I have only done Access to HE: Business so some other courses may be structured completely different.

If anyone has any questions just ask! And if your still on the fence on wether you want to do an Access to HE course I hope this helps you make your decision easier.

Oh and if your wondering about universities... I got conditional offers from every Uni I applied to. I selected Aston - Business and International Relations (Merits through out the course) as my firm choice and Birmingham City University - Business Studies (Pass your Access course) as my safety choice.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Cloudborn
Hello everyone,

Hey congrats :smile:

How long are the exams and what is the difficulty level?
The number, length and difficulty of exams varies a lot between different colleges, and between different subjects within the same college. Mine have varied in length between 30 minutes and 3 hours. Some have been a walk in the park, and some have been very challenging. Generally, the level of difficulty approximates to A Level.
Reply 3
The exams are between 2 hours 30 mins and 4 hours. Difficulty is A level. However as mentioned above 2 out of 3 exams allow you to bring in your notes (on my course anyway). Only issue with this is the pass rate for the exam goes up from 40% to 60%, so if you dont have good written notes you need to do allot of serious revision!

The level of the tests is A level however remember A levels is more of a memory exam where u have to remember LOADS and LOADS of stuff. The access course is 1 year, and the subjects your examined in are only 1 term, there is only so much they can teach you in each subject over 1 term (lessons are 1 hour 30mins long), so dont be to panicked!
I'm currently on the Access to Health course & it's structured completely different! Ours is completely coursework based! I finish in May/June & since September I haven't had one day where I haven't had a load of coursework to do! We did have one exam as part of a module, but that was to be combined with our coursework - and it was an open-book exam, which meant we could take any notes and textbooks we wanted in with us! So constant coursework & assignments but basically no exams! It's interesting to see how different each access course is! :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Schadenfreude65
The number, length and difficulty of exams varies a lot between different colleges, and between different subjects within the same college. Mine have varied in length between 30 minutes and 3 hours. Some have been a walk in the park, and some have been very challenging. Generally, the level of difficulty approximates to A Level.

Original post by Cloudborn
The exams are between 2 hours 30 mins and 4 hours. Difficulty is A level. However as mentioned above 2 out of 3 exams allow you to bring in your notes (on my course anyway). Only issue with this is the pass rate for the exam goes up from 40% to 60%, so if you dont have good written notes you need to do allot of serious revision!

The level of the tests is A level however remember A levels is more of a memory exam where u have to remember LOADS and LOADS of stuff. The access course is 1 year, and the subjects your examined in are only 1 term, there is only so much they can teach you in each subject over 1 term (lessons are 1 hour 30mins long), so dont be to panicked!

Thank you guys :smile:

I have applies and have my assessment on Friday

revising for the maths assessment. Did you guys have one? What was the difficulty level and what kind of things came up in it?

They sent me a list and things like Algebra werent on it, which makes me think it must be fairly basic?

Sorry for bugging you, and thank you again :smile:
Original post by kunoichi
Thank you guys :smile:

I have applies and have my assessment on Friday

revising for the maths assessment. Did you guys have one? What was the difficulty level and what kind of things came up in it?

They sent me a list and things like Algebra werent on it, which makes me think it must be fairly basic?

Sorry for bugging you, and thank you again :smile:

My maths assessment was GCSE level, but nothing too hard: arithmetic, percentages, area and volume, probability, etc. There was no trig or algebra. It was a computer-based multiple choice test. If you have a look through the topics on GCSE bitesize, that will probably give you an idea of what to expect. I'm sure you'll be fine. :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
It's interesting to see how differently the courses are set up throughout the country.

I am coming to the end of mine now doing the Humanities pathway, with a place at uni in september to do Education Studies & TESOL, overall the experience has been really good, and has wiped away any fears of study again as has got me used to academic writing, research, presentations etc all over again.

My course was set out as follows -

Psychology (worth 15 L3 Credits) 2 x 1500 word assignments & 1 end of year exam

Human Biology (worth 12 L3 credits) 2 x 1500 word assignments & 1 end of year exam

Social Policy (worth 12 L3 credits) 2 x 1500 word assignments & 1 end of year exam

Health Studies (worth 12 L3 credits) 1 1500 word assignment, 1 powerpoint presentation on a selected topic & 1 end of year exam

Application of number (12 L2 credits) 1 exam half way through year & 1 exam at end of the year

IT (6 L3 credits) - portfolio built throughout the year

Research Project (9 L3 Credits) - 1 x 3000 word assignment on chosen topic & powerpoint presentation to accompany, to be submitted and presented at end of the year.

Communication Skills/English (12 L3 credits) - Assessed through assignment writing skills, in class participation etc throughout the year.

In addition we also get random 'soft credits' for things like 'building a portfolio', 'submitting CV', 'time management', 'attendance' etc

p.s best of luck to everyone coming towards the end of their courses within the next couple of months, WE DID IT! ... well kind of... next stop, uni! :colondollar:
(edited 10 years ago)
This is such an interesting thread as it's clear the courses are so different. We've had assignment and closed book tests all the way through our course.

I'm on a Access to He Health Sciences course following the science pathway. Our assignment have included essays, scientific reports, research project, experiment designs, exams and my least favourite of all an interactive learning assignment. Essays have varied from 1000-3500 words and it's fair to say most of us have worked pretty much everyday while doing this course. Including occupying the library over the holidays even after Christmas!!

Although it's been hard work it's been throughly enjoyable and rewarding but I will beak glad when June arrives and our last assignment goes in. I'm also desperately hoping our tutors are right when they say that our course is harder than our first year of Uni. I could really do with a slower pace next year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am also doing an access to nursing and allied professions course. It seems like the ones here given the impression that an access course is easy... However the course I am doing is at from it.
We have at least two assignments given to us in two weeks and have two weeks to complete them all of them are at least 2000 words others upto 4000 as well as having to use Harvard referencing.
The workload is crazy and literally never stop doing assignment we had a break over Christmas but that was it.
However, even though the course is very intense it is great for setting you ready for university to study nursing. I have enjoyed every minute of the course and I would recommend it to anyone who wants to be a nurse. It's given me so much knowledge and set me up for university.
I now have a conditional offer to study mental health nursing at the university of Manchester :smile: xx
(edited 10 years ago)
hiya, what hours/days were you in college for?
I am trying to work out how much I can work at the same time
Thanks!
Original post by cassini27
hiya, what hours/days were you in college for?
I am trying to work out how much I can work at the same time
Thanks!

We were in college for three days per week. Two of those were 9-5 days and the third was 11-3. Having said that there were quite a few if us that spent the other two days each week in the library especially after Easter when the workload increased drastically.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was in 9:30 - 3:30 Mondays and Wednesdays, and 9:30 - 12:30 Thursdays and Fridays.
Thanks for replies. I have to try and earn a full time wage at the same time....going to be interesting.
Did those hours include GSCE's also?
Trying to find out from college exactly what the hours are is proving challenging as everyone on holiday atm.
Reply 14
Thanks for replies. I have to try and earn a full time wage at the same time....going to be interesting.
Trying to find out from college exactly what the hours are is proving challenging as everyone on holiday atm.

I worked 22 hours a week whilst on an access course, but it really really took it out of me and I would be up all night doing assignments and spent pretty much all of the one day off work/college a week I got, doing assignments. I'd often be in the library for hours after my lessons finished at 3pm as well. Its hard work, but I did it. If you're planning on working and doing an access course I can't stress enough how much organisation is key. If it's anything like mine an assignment handed in late can get a pass grade maximum no matter how brilliant it is, so you really need to keep on top of assignments. Which access course are you planning on doing?

No, afraid not.
Thanks for advice.
Social science and humanities. I have my GCSE's already.
I'm self employed and work from home and work is mainly email / Internet based, so I am hoping that this will put me in better stead to keep earning, but am a bit worried that I'm taking too much on. Hard to know until I try though.....
I had exams for every maths, English (plus essays) and anatomy and physiology unit. My college are mean haha! I did Access to Nursing.

I re-sat GCSE maths at the same time as my access science course. For that I had an additional 2 hour lesson once a week. It worked quiet well for me though in some respects because some of the things we had to do for GCSE were also covered on the Access course so it was great for extra revision. I also had the same tutor for the higher maths GCSE as I had for access maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am due to start the access to nursing and midwifery at central college nottingham. I am also doing the GCSE maths alongside it.. Swear to god the maths will be my downfall :frown: I was never any good at it at school. I only got a D. Really looking forward to starting though. They haven't told us hardly anything about the course. All I know is that its for a year, its mainly human biology with sociology, psychology and maths within a nursing context. I will be a mature student at 25 years old and it feels quite daunting the thought of being in an academic environment again but Im going to give it my absolute best shot!
Good luck to everyone starting this year and well done everyone thats completed their course this year!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending