The Student Room Group

AQA English Literature Poetry Exam Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheTopStudent
How many pages did everyone do?!?! Starting to worry:frown:

Think I did 4, possibly 5 in total. It's not the amount you write though, it's about what you write. My teacher is always saying a C grade student will write pages and pages of blag, whereas A and B grade students will write less, more precise stuff. So don't worry!
remains of my anthology on the floor...
Reply 162
Original post by meganmolly
What did you say about the title? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

i didnt say anything :/ i suck at english
Original post by DMiJET
i didnt say anything :/ i suck at english

ahh okay! I think I got it but I just wanted to compare, just wondering! im sure you wont have done that badly, we all have our bad subjects:wink: I hope you get the grades you want! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Meanwhile i quietly discuss question 8 by myself xD

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BeeBuzz
Meanwhile i quietly discuss question 8 by myself xD

Posted from TSR Mobile

A lot of my friends did question 8 with 'To His Coy Mistress' and 'The Farmers Bride'
Original post by JessieeMayy
A lot of my friends did question 8 with 'To His Coy Mistress' and 'The Farmers Bride'

Aah right. I compared it with Harmonium

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BeeBuzz
Aah right. I compared it with Harmonium

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oooo, that's a good one! There's so much to write about it, and it's not the original/ obvious one either, so extra marks for interpretations :biggrin:
I wrote about how the 10 syllables per a line reinforce the passing of time, or a heart beat, highlighting the fathers broken heart, or it could even show the banging in the door of the child, as "you couldn't just pop in" so the father may not have answered the door until the stuff was "clear[ed] away" and he was "alone". I also wrote about how the strict structure suggests the speaker was in control of his emotions unlike the father, and how the enjambment and long end-stopped stanzas suggest it has been a long on going process and is still on going. Then I did a bit of language analysis and a few other points. What did you write?

You seem to have written a lot about structure, all I wrote was that the irregular line lengths and enjambments created a tone of brokenness and the rhyme scheme was similar to a ballad form? (like On a Portrait of a Deaf Man which I did for the other question lol). I made some points about the 'long distance' not only being between the dead mother and the son/father, but also between the father and son about differing attitudes to death :rolleyes:
I didn't pick up that the father died at the end, but to be fair I think nobody at our school did - I got full marks for the unseen poem in our mock exam but now I'm not so sure xD
Did anybody here do the conflict cluster?

I did the question about Out of the Blue and I compared it to At the Border. :biggrin:
Original post by Superfaye
You seem to have written a lot about structure, all I wrote was that the irregular line lengths and enjambments created a tone of brokenness and the rhyme scheme was similar to a ballad form? (like On a Portrait of a Deaf Man which I did for the other question lol). I made some points about the 'long distance' not only being between the dead mother and the son/father, but also between the father and son about differing attitudes to death :rolleyes:
I didn't pick up that the father died at the end, but to be fair I think nobody at our school did - I got full marks for the unseen poem in our mock exam but now I'm not so sure xD

Ah wow! You know what you're on about, well done! Bet you've done absolutely amazing! You seem to know your stuff! I didn't pick up on the Fathers death either, but I don't think many did to be honest
Original post by EastGuava
Question 7, compared Ghazal with The Farmer's Bride.

Unlike everyone else on this thread, I think this exam went awfully. :C

So did I! I compared Ghazal with quickdraw, which no one else seems to have done and wrote ONLY about structure for all my points, even on unseen! :'( could't have messed up more!
Oooo, that's a good one! There's so much to write about it, and it's not the original/ obvious one either, so extra marks for interpretations :biggrin:

Hahaha hmmm. For Harmonium i just picked out different interpretations for "starved breath" and also the lack of punctuation in the last line and it's effects. For "Farmer's Bride", from what i can remember, i talked about use of punctuation in the last stanza and it's effect. Also the repetition of "her hair" suggesting his obsession with her physical qualities rather than personality. This could show that he doesn't actually love her blah blah blah. I gave diff interps to that too and effects

Posted from TSR Mobile
I chose to compare Come On, Come Back and Belfast Confetti
I really liked the unseen poem I started talking about how the regular structure shows that the son appears strong on the outside but is broken on the inside. Also, I talked about how the father and son could have ended their relationship due to their incredibly different reactions to the death!
Found the exam alright, hoping to get a B/A :biggrin:
Did anyone else say for the unseen poem that the mother is not actually physically dead but rather mentally dead as if she had a mental illness because the boy says "I still call" after saying "I believe life ends after death" suggesting that she is indeed still alive and "still call" is a metaphor for trying to bring her back into normality. I talked about how the father and son are potentially embarrassed with her therefore keep her "disconnected" from society. Any thoughts?
Original post by KAParker98
I also compared them, Quickdraw has a lot to say about form and structure!

I did these two and ONLY wrote about structure :'( totally messed up!
Original post by TheTopStudent
How many pages did everyone do?!?! Starting to worry:frown:

I didn't even write 3 don't worry and a couple people ive spoke to wrote 3. although I also know people who wrote 8... its not even that I didn't know what to write im just a slow writer and yet still you could barely read my writing
I did Ghazal and Manhunt.

Feeling really good about the unseen -I googled it afterwards my analysis was pretty accurate :smile:
I did conflict cluster Q6 about how the poet presents feelings of confusion and compared 'come on, come back' to 'Belfast confetti' think I did really badly - I got the main points down but the structure of my answers not brilliant. Don't think it flows too well :/ ah, what's done is done and it's finished now so just have to wait until results day, I suppose.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well...there's only one place for my anthology...*walks over to the bin*

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending