The Student Room Group

AQA English Literature Poetry Exam Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
i deliberately made different points for the unseen poem and maybe it can get me marks :smile:
Hopefully my risks have paid off
Original post by SunDun111
i did farmers bride and manhunt. I KNOW its odd but can anyone reassure me that ill still get marks? some points i made were that manhunt and farmers bride both have the theme of emotinal pain etc..... Please will i get marks even if its such a odd comparison?

hey dont worry i did the same but it seems like many people didn't i think we should be fine, my teacher said that they don't give you marks for the correct or best poem picked to compare because there isnt one. as long as you think you analysed it properly you should be fine
Original post by aman11
Guys I need help, my exam went well but i carried on writing when the invigilator said stop. People were writing in front of me so I carried on and stopped before he came. He then told me that he had to write that I carried on a minute after. What are the consequences? I'm really stressing out

i'm sure you'll be fine, it was only 1 minute. Maybe they'll take 1 mark off its not so bad, or maybe the invigilator was was saying it to scare you, you never know.

But -
Writing after being told to stop is cheating 'apparently' but don't worry you'll be fine
Reply 203
For Character and Voice, I chose the first question in section A where you had to compare the feelings towards another person. It was 'On a Portrait of a Deaf Man' and another poem of your choice and I chose 'The Horse Whisperer'. Is this correct?
Original post by elishx__h
I did The Farmers Bride and Ghazal, and I did the question about structure and form. Some of the points I made: I spoke about animal/nature imagery a bit for language, for Ghazal's structure I wrote about rhyming couplets suggests their togetherness and that 1 line each in the couplet could represent one person. For the farmers bride, I wrote about the first stanza, when the first words were a bit slanted, I said that it looks like the words are forming a downwards step which is like a breaking up of the relationship. I kinda of messed up writing about form because I mentioned some form stuff in the structure paragraph. :s-smilie: what did you write for form? :confused:

I did Q 8! I thought the former was too restrictive but it sounds like you made some good points.

I wrote briefly about their relationship deteriorating, with the 'smog' representing how infatuated they are with their needs that it's obscuring their view of one another. And the magpie's 'spotted feathers' coupled with the 'black earth' is symbolic of the death of their relationship which, like death, can never be resurrected.

Didn't rly like the qs tbf but I liked the unseen, though I do feel at a disadvantage hearing how many have pre studied this poem.
Original post by roxy_sherlock
No quotes at all...

Posted from TSR Mobile

You won't even get a band 2 for that

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone notice how the lines on each stanza constantly switched from 10 syllables to 11? I wrote the 10 syllabic lines symbolise his love as Shakespeare uses this kind of iambic pentameter to portray romantic love; however, the 11 syllabic lines are more like a barrier to love. The 11 syllabic lines are the realization of what has happened. I also wrote it could symbolise hope and how this hope is restricted by reality. The reality disrupts the 'flow' of hope.
(edited 9 years ago)
I wrote about the structure in the first stanza for the unseen poem. All 3 of the last lines ended at a similar time, however on the first line the word 'dead' stuck out. I said this could be a symbol of their life; when she was around it was very structured and organised, however when she died, like the word suggests, the structure in their life totally broke down and they were heartbroken.

Do you think this is a good point?
Reply 208
Original post by isobel197
I included like one quote, cause i didn't know how to use quotes for structure!? Fingers crossed for low grade boundaries! Hope you do well!

I think I wrote like 1 or two quotes aswell, you basically only reference to language if it backs up a point you made, so like if you said something like the line lengths show the dominance in the male, then you would say, this can also be backed up through "blah blah" which i believe shows this aswell

obivously not like that but you should get the idea
Original post by HarrisA
I knew what the poem was trying to portray, like the father didn't want to accept it and the son accepted it, and they both grieved, but i wanted to be kinda original, so i basically done something probably no one else would have thought of, so i'm worried the examiner might mark me down :/

I basically said that the father puts the things where he does, not to show that he hasnt forgotten about her, but to make it seem as if he is griefing when he really isnt, "her side of the bed" i said suggests that it wasn't shared, possibly showing tension within the relationship, and how the relationship between the mother and father was never actually mentioned (like it never actually said they were husband and wife or girlfriend and boyfriend or even friends) which i said shows that the relationship wasn't even worth mentioning, and i said the father was looking through the mothers thing possibly looking for something that he needed, and it says "as if it were a crime", so i said it may have been something he didnt want anyone to know which is why he spent "an hour" putting everything back so there were no suspiscions, and i said the boy may know this but he doesn't want to think about it, because in the last stanza on the first line it said "and that is all." the full stop could signify he didn't want to think about any of it so he stops himself, but the child is still grieving because he phones the mother possibly just to hear her voice on the answering machine. I'm worried because "and that is all." was kinda in reference to life and death, but i linked it to the child not wanting to think about what the father is doing... will i lose marks for that?

i wrote the exact same thing as you omg
Reply 210
Original post by a-spiringmedic
i wrote the exact same thing as you omg

OMG SERIOUS?! That's awesome! I never thought in a million years someone else would have thought of that!
Did anyone compare the farmers bride and ghazal for the "ending" question? Cuz I don't think I made very original points and didnt link it back to the question. I said:
1) how the use of similes in both poem suggests the man is in power. And I picked out a few words and explained them. Started talking about how one sided their love is.
2) I talked about the endings of both poems. TFB- "her eyes- her hair, her hair" suggests that he's adoring her. Alternatively "oh poor maid" could be sarcasm suggesting the unrequited lover's love lacked passion and therefore didn't last. In ghazal: "be he's and earth to me" and "die for me" are imperitaves which suggest her one sided love requires demands therefore lacks passion.
3)the use of nature in both poems to convey different things. Ghazal: how dependent she is on her lover. TFB: the use of animals to convey how innocent and childlike she is. The farmer cares for her therefore wishes to guide her. But the ending is juxtaposed with the rest of the poem as it suggests the one sided love wasn't strong enough to last.

Is that okay?? Will it get me an A?
Original post by Kirankhalsa
Did anyone compare the farmers bride and ghazal for the "ending" question? Cuz I don't think I made very original points and didnt link it back to the question. I said:
1) how the use of similes in both poem suggests the man is in power. And I picked out a few words and explained them. Started talking about how one sided their love is.
2) I talked about the endings of both poems. TFB- "her eyes- her hair, her hair" suggests that he's adoring her. Alternatively "oh poor maid" could be sarcasm suggesting the unrequited lover's love lacked passion and therefore didn't last. In ghazal: "be he's and earth to me" and "die for me" are imperitaves which suggest her one sided love requires demands therefore lacks passion.
3)the use of nature in both poems to convey different things. Ghazal: how dependent she is on her lover. TFB: the use of animals to convey how innocent and childlike she is. The farmer cares for her therefore wishes to guide her. But the ending is juxtaposed with the rest of the poem as it suggests the one sided love wasn't strong enough to last.

Is that okay?? Will it get me an A?

I did the ending one as well but compared it to Harmonium. I talked about the sense of loss created by the end of Farmers Bride, using the quote "her hair" repeated to suggest he misses her greatly etc. I also made a different interpretation to this, saying how the repetition could also show that males are only interested in the physical appearances of women rather than their personality. I backed this up with "i chose her", shown at the start. It enforces that he chose her because of her looks. I talked about "her hair" also meaning his admiration as you said (: Lastly i said the frequent punctuation, sometimes in strange places, could symbolise the poet breaking down.

I think i also made some other points about the ending of Farmers Bride but i can't remember. Harmonium i basically talked about loss as well, and the lack of punctuation in the last line. I also gave many different interpretations of one quote as i did in Farmers Bride, and the effect on the reader

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 213
I did the 'Conflict' cluster and compared 'Out of the Blue' with 'Bayonet Charge'.
Original post by Man16
For Character and Voice, I chose the first question in section A where you had to compare the feelings towards another person. It was 'On a Portrait of a Deaf Man' and another poem of your choice and I chose 'The Horse Whisperer'. Is this correct?

That seems fine as long as your quotes and explanations were relevant, I did the same question as you but I chose Brendon Gallacher.
Original post by BeeBuzz
I did the ending one as well but compared it to Harmonium. I talked about the sense of loss created by the end of Farmers Bride, using the quote "her hair" repeated to suggest he misses her greatly etc. I also made a different interpretation to this, saying how the repetition could also show that males are only interested in the physical appearances of women rather than their personality. I backed this up with "i chose her", shown at the start. It enforces that he chose her because of her looks. I talked about "her hair" also meaning his admiration as you said (: Lastly i said the frequent punctuation, sometimes in strange places, could symbolise the poet breaking down.

I think i also made some other points about the ending of Farmers Bride but i can't remember. Harmonium i basically talked about loss as well, and the lack of punctuation in the last line. I also gave many different interpretations of one quote as i did in Farmers Bride, and the effect on the reader

Posted from TSR Mobile

Those points are really good! I'm just a little worried about mine because I only wrote 1 paragraph analysing the actual ending and in the other paragraphs I talked about nature and love. And I mentioned that the end confused the reader because it was juxtaposed with the rest of the poem where the unrequited lover's love was strong however at the end.. The farmer stopped caring about his wife and in Ghazal, the ending betrays the mood of the poem??
Original post by Kirankhalsa
Those points are really good! I'm just a little worried about mine because I only wrote 1 paragraph analysing the actual ending and in the other paragraphs I talked about nature and love. And I mentioned that the end confused the reader because it was juxtaposed with the rest of the poem where the unrequited lover's love was strong however at the end.. The farmer stopped caring about his wife and in Ghazal, the ending betrays the mood of the poem??

That's actually really good! I like the fact you talked about nature and love and how that basically disagrees with the end of the poem. I'm worried because i hardly talked about other parts of the poem. I probably should have mentioned the end and used the rest of the poem more to help enforce my ideas. I'd say you did really well with your points! I should have picked up on the idea of it being an unrequited love as well, and the weakening of the love towards the end, like you mentioned. The fact that you said it juxtaposes the rest of the poem has to go under talk about structure as well, as in the order of moods and how it changes at the end to confuse the reader. In the mark scheme it says talk about structure, so that's good :smile:.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HarjKS
I did the 'Conflict' cluster and compared 'Out of the Blue' with 'Bayonet Charge'.

Yeah I did 'out of the blue' too, but compared it with Poppies :redface:
Original post by calculatorxox

Me too 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by calculatorxox

I compared it with At the Border. :rolleyes:
What did you all write for Out of the Blue? Just curious!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending