The Student Room Group

AQA English Literature Poetry Exam Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MattJGUK
I also did Ghazal and The Manhunt but I now believe I have ****ed up the entire question.

In my answer, I emphasised and talked about form and structure throughout my answer (comparing them both) but I HARDLY even talked about language because I thought that I might not get a lot of marks for it so mainly just talked about form and structure because that was what the question was asking.

However now I am thinking I should have talked about language. I only made a few simple comments about language. For example, the two-line stanzas in Ghazal allow Khalvati (the poet) to fire different ideas and metaphors about love in quick succession - they are not supposed to be connected as in a narrative and I then talked about how this is in contrast with The Manhunt, which is wrote in the first-person narrative to consequently make the poem seem direct and convey the impact of the physical, mental and physcological effects of war. Similarly, to Ghazal, both poems are in two-line couplets but there is a contrast in the sense that The Manhunt displays fragmentation in the relationship (shown by the separate stanzas) and Ghazal is more of an expressive, desire of love etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would't worry too much, the question said form and structure, so most people would have only spoke about it, so they will adapt the mark scheme, to fit with the majority, and the boundaries will hopefully be quite low due to the confusion in the questions. Last year you only needed 16/54 for a C, so I'm pretty sure, regardless of how little language analysis you did, you'd be able to achieved that. You only needed 4/18 on the unseen and 12/36 for a C, so unless our was loads easier and the marks as a nation are loads higher, the boundaries shouldn't move too much, and we should all be ok!
Original post by JessieeMayy
I thought the unseen was ok actually. I was really scared because every time I tried to practice I could never link the language/structure points to an idea, but I managed to in the exam! I wrote about the 10 syllables per a line being like a heartbeat, reinforcing the fathers broken heart, and that it also represent the time ticking away. I wrote about how the strict structure suggests the speaker was in control of his emotions more than the father. I didn't mention loads on language :/ but hopefully I've done enough to get my predicted grade. How did you find it?

Yeah I thought the unseen was terrible until I got out of the exam and it turned out it wasn't so bad. I said there was iambic pentatmeter which is rhythmic, symbolic of his mother's voice which shows the reader that he isn't over her death as he trying to emulate the sound of his mother to keep her close. Then I was like that bit when he was like ",and that is all." and that the caesura shows how he is not religious and doesn't believe in life after death, and has accepted and believes that his mother is dead and gone forever. Idek if I mentioned language?? There wasn't anything that could be said. Same I hope I got my predicted
Original post by MattJGUK
I also did Ghazal and The Manhunt but I now believe I have ****ed up the entire question.

In my answer, I emphasised and talked about form and structure throughout my answer (comparing them both) but I HARDLY even talked about language because I thought that I might not get a lot of marks for it so mainly just talked about form and structure because that was what the question was asking.

However now I am thinking I should have talked about language. I only made a few simple comments about language. For example, the two-line stanzas in Ghazal allow Khalvati (the poet) to fire different ideas and metaphors about love in quick succession - they are not supposed to be connected as in a narrative and I then talked about how this is in contrast with The Manhunt, which is wrote in the first-person narrative to consequently make the poem seem direct and convey the impact of the physical, mental and physcological effects of war. Similarly, to Ghazal, both poems are in two-line couplets but there is a contrast in the sense that The Manhunt displays fragmentation in the relationship (shown by the separate stanzas) and Ghazal is more of an expressive, desire of love etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But see you mentioned language and the structure my teacher gave was:

Introduction

Structural point from both poems

Language device from both

Another language device from both

And then conclusion

But my teacher said that if you didn't have enough time you could only talk about one language device from each poem and still get a high band 5 or a low band 6, as long as you explored.
Original post by stephanieuwa
Yeah I thought the unseen was terrible until I got out of the exam and it turned out it wasn't so bad. I said there was iambic pentatmeter which is rhythmic, symbolic of his mother's voice which shows the reader that he isn't over her death as he trying to emulate the sound of his mother to keep her close. Then I was like that bit when he was like ",and that is all." and that the caesura shows how he is not religious and doesn't believe in life after death, and has accepted and believes that his mother is dead and gone forever. Idek if I mentioned language?? There wasn't anything that could be said. Same I hope I got my predicted

Wow! That's an amazing interpretation! That's so clever, I never thought of that, and no one in my English class -top set as well, thought of that either. Well done you! The examiners will love reading that, that's a really different and original take on the poem, it would be hard not to give you full marks! Well done, and I really hope you've done well, because by the sounds of it you have x

That sounds brilliant, i would never have thought of that!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wow! That's an amazing interpretation! That's so clever, I never thought of that, and no one in my English class -top set as well, thought of that either. Well done you! The examiners will love reading that, that's a really different and original take on the poem, it would be hard not to give you full marks! Well done, and I really hope you've done well, because by the sounds of it you have x

Thank you :colondollar: Although in my actual exam paper, it doesn't sound as organised or as coherent, but fingers crossed :tongue:
Original post by Ben4
That sounds brilliant, i would never have thought of that!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you, although I don't know how well I wrote this on my exam paper, it sounds more organised now than it did at the time :tongue:
I thought the unseen was ok actually. I was really scared because every time I tried to practice I could never link the language/structure points to an idea, but I managed to in the exam! I wrote about the 10 syllables per a line being like a heartbeat, reinforcing the fathers broken heart, and that it also represent the time ticking away. I wrote about how the strict structure suggests the speaker was in control of his emotions more than the father. I didn't mention loads on language :/ but hopefully I've done enough to get my predicted grade. How did you find it?

Actually, it wasn't 10 syllables per line. It alternated between 10 and 11 syllables.
Original post by SamuelDav
Actually, it wasn't 10 syllables per line. It alternated between 10 and 11 syllables.

I know but I only wrote about the 10 syllables
I know but I only wrote about the 10 syllables

Ah, I see. That's okay then xD. I wrote about the 11 syllables disrupting the 'flow' of the 10 syllabic lines and Shakespeare's use of 10 syllabic lines to portray love, so the 11 syllabic lines symbolise realisation of reality being a barrier to love. Obviously you can't love a dead person. *awkward inappropriate giggle*
I don't mean to come across as blunt, but you do get marks on talking about language. It's poetry. Poetry. My teacher literally the first thing she said when we came out of the exam was "You were supposed to talk about language, did you talk about language?"

That's so confusing.. really hoping for low grade boundaries. It's a shame as I thought my exam went quite well, I compared Ghazal to To His Coy Mistress and wrote about 4 pages only on structure and form, which surprised me as I find it really difficult to write about structure and would have so much preferred to write about language and literary techniques but I felt it would have been pointless. Hope I'm not the only one....ugh
Ah, I see. That's okay then xD. I wrote about the 11 syllables disrupting the 'flow' of the 10 syllabic lines and Shakespeare's use of 10 syllabic lines to portray love, so the 11 syllabic lines symbolise realisation of reality being a barrier to love. Obviously you can't love a dead person. *awkward inappropriate giggle*

To be honest I'd thought I'd counted the syllables wrong and didn't trust myself, but after when speaking to my teacher I was right, but she said I don't need to worry as she doesn't think many students picked up on that as it's not a form we're used too, and she said my marks won't be put down because I missed the odd syllable :P That's a really good point though, you'll definitely get extra points for actually following your gut instinct and writing it down!
Reply 292
Original post by Kirankhalsa
Do u think I'll lose marks for saying similes instead of metaphors ( "If I am the grass and you are the breeZe in Ghazal) when comparing the poems? Lol!

Literary terminology doesn't give you any additional marks, so no.
Original post by Dave8991
That's so confusing.. really hoping for low grade boundaries. It's a shame as I thought my exam went quite well, I compared Ghazal to To His Coy Mistress and wrote about 4 pages only on structure and form, which surprised me as I find it really difficult to write about structure and would have so much preferred to write about language and literary techniques but I felt it would have been pointless. Hope I'm not the only one....ugh

I literally did exactly the same thing as you and I was absolutely worried. The question made it specific. Form and structure. If you lose marks for not talking about language, AQA is evil and I will definitely be telling God to take care of them xD.
Original post by ghlgb
Literary terminology doesn't give you any additional marks, so no.

You get marks for explaining AO2 but if you haven't identified the correct technique, how can you say its effect??? Similies don't have the same effect as metaphors so you won't lose marks, but you won't gain marks either.
Original post by Dave8991

You're not the only one, the grade boundaries will shift dw.
I literally did exactly the same thing as you and I was absolutely worried. The question made it specific. Form and structure. If you lose marks for not talking about language, AQA is evil and I will definitely be telling God to take care of them xD.

Exactly, it would be really unfair! But I wouldn't worry too much, as we did exactly what the question was asking us to do. It was quite mean of AQA though...writing a WHOLE essay on structure is really hard
Reply 297
I did the same - they're both about paintings :P, and I had practised the question before
Do you reckon I was too cynical in unseen poetry?
for 'still raw heart' i said that the wife had left him in a bad way so there were still 'raw' wounds from her actions, i also said that 'still' could be an adjective to represent a passionless relationship and that the father was trying to rekindle a relationship that never existed by warming her shoes and what not.
then i said that the 'key to scrape through the rusty key hole' was quite negative as the key hole was rusty so he had become a "prisoner to his own emotions" and 'scraped' is quite an unpleasant sound so he is dreading her return????
Everyone else said completely different things so I'm worried i was way to negative???
Original post by phoebemc
Do you reckon I was too cynical in unseen poetry?
for 'still raw heart' i said that the wife had left him in a bad way so there were still 'raw' wounds from her actions, i also said that 'still' could be an adjective to represent a passionless relationship and that the father was trying to rekindle a relationship that never existed by warming her shoes and what not.
then i said that the 'key to scrape through the rusty key hole' was quite negative as the key hole was rusty so he had become a "prisoner to his own emotions" and 'scraped' is quite an unpleasant sound so he is dreading her return????
Everyone else said completely different things so I'm worried i was way to negative???

It's your interpretation so it doesn't matter - as long as you can back it up.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending