The Student Room Group

AS students- which AS subject will/might you drop this year and why?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by DCypel
I see where you're coming from, however it doesnt really have much to do with computer science as computer science teaches you how to program and ict teaches you which printer is which... also it has got loads of coursework, this year it consisted of about 250 pages altogether and next year its meant to be even more, which will then mean I'll have less time for other subjects.

I also want to do Comp Sci. A2 Maths is required by most unis for it and most say subjects like Computing, Physics and Further Maths are 'recommended' :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DCypel
I see where you're coming from, however it doesnt really have much to do with computer science as computer science teaches you how to program and ict teaches you which printer is which... also it has got loads of coursework, this year it consisted of about 250 pages altogether and next year its meant to be even more, which will then mean I'll have less time for other subjects.

Haha sorry I lack knowledge about computers/phsyics and stuff and yeah I see what you mean I would drop the one with too much coursework as you need to focus on other subjects especially maths... one question how comes you didnt take physics or computing instead :smile:
Chemistry for me, we were allowed to drop subjects within the first month but chemistry only became **** after about 2 months so they wouldn't let me drop it. My options for next year are Economics, Maths and Biology. Still hopefully come out with 3A's and maybe 1B this year
Original post by RoughWritings
I am not really sure. My exams have gone pretty **** to be honest. Perhaps, all of them? Aha, okay, no. Maths.

Lack of revision or luck?
Not going to drop any! :smile:
Original post by hiphop97
Chemistry for me, we were allowed to drop subjects within the first month but chemistry only became **** after about 2 months so they wouldn't let me drop it. My options for next year are Economics, Maths and Biology. Still hopefully come out with 3A's and maybe 1B this year

Nice!... what do you want to do at uni?
Original post by donutellme
Not going to drop any! :smile:

I'm guessing your exams went well:colondollar::tongue:
Reply 27
Original post by Darkwarrior23
Haha sorry I lack knowledge about computers/phsyics and stuff and yeah I see what you mean I would drop the one with too much coursework as you need to focus on other subjects especially maths... one question how comes you didnt take physics or computing instead :smile:

My school doesnt offer computing and i havent done physics for gcse which was incredibly stupid of me. I didnt pick it as I didnt like the teacher in 3rd year so now i've got to suffer the consequences when it comes to mechanics in maths (I've done add maths so its not that bad). I wanted to do T&D, however, not enough people wanted to do it which then resulted in my school not offering it for alevel. Who would have thought that a grammar school would lack such good alevel choices as computing or t&d -_-
I'm guessing your exams went well:colondollar::tongue:

Some have gone great, and in others the silly mistakes I've made are a thing of legend... My goodness, I would love to get punched every time I think about them. I'm contemplating retaking them even if I do well, because the fact that I made some of the STUPIDEST mistakes is bothering me immensely.

How have yours gone?
Nice!... what do you want to do at uni?

Hopefully Economics, but when I was picking my A-Levels I was unsure whether to do something Maths related or Science related, hence why I have Biology as my 3rd option.

what about you?
Original post by daisychain_
I'm thinking of dropping maths too, I have also heard C3 and C4 are really difficult. If I don't drop maths I'll drop psychology, don't like the sound of all those essays :smile:

I'd say the jump between C1 and C2 is the hardest, C3 and C4 really aren't bad :smile: pretty much all our maths class retook C2 as it tends to be the one people do worst in so don't worry if you found it hard.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DCypel
My school doesnt offer computing and i havent done physics for gcse which was incredibly stupid of me. I didnt pick it as I didnt like the teacher in 3rd year so now i've got to suffer the consequences when it comes to mechanics in maths (I've done add maths so its not that bad). I wanted to do T&D, however, not enough people wanted to do it which then resulted in my school not offering it for alevel. Who would have thought that a grammar school would lack such good alevel choices as computing or t&d -_-

Computing isn't essential for Computer Science because, as with you, not all schools offer it. I'm doing it, and all you learn is programming (which I already knew because it's a hobby) and other things (most of which I knew from my personal interest in it already). For programming, you can easily learn it yourself. Check out Codecademy to get started :smile:

And what's T&D? Technology and Design?
Reply 32
Original post by CD223
I also want to do Comp Sci. A2 Maths is required by most unis for it and most say subjects like Computing, Physics and Further Maths are 'recommended' :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm thinking of doing computer science too. Which uni are you planning to apply to?
Reply 33
Haha hello future me... what grades did you achieve at AS and well done... how many offers and what unis :colondollar:

AAAA Cambridge Bristol Birmingham

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Regenfox
I'm thinking of doing computer science too. Which uni are you planning to apply to?

Hey, another CompSci here :smile: What subjects are you doing?
Dropping chemistry, don't really like it and it isn't needed for computer science. Keeping Maths, Further Maths and Physics unless I supremely score up further maths, then I think I'll have to keep chemistry and drop further maths. He'll if I do well I'm chemistry I might just keep it, but then I'm not sure if I'm biting off more than I can chew. We'll we shall see (Results day 2014 when the s**t hits the fan.)
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by 9967
AAAA Cambridge Bristol Birmingham

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow! So wait youve got a prediction of AAAA so if you miss out on one of the As so lets say you get AAAB or even A*AAB and the Bs are in subjects not bio or chemistry will you get rejected :eek:
Reply 37
Wow! So wait youve got a prediction of AAAA so if you miss out on one of the As so lets say you get AAAB or even A*AAB and the Bs are in subjects not bio or chemistry will you get rejected :eek:

Nah offers are A*AA for Cambridge (firm) and AAA for Bristol (insurance) :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 38
Hey, another CompSci here :smile: What subjects are you doing?

Fast-tracking maths this year, doing further maths next year. Also doing computing, physics and sociology - which I'll be dropping next year as I'd rather just focus on my other three and it's not really relevant for the course.
Some have gone great, and in others the silly mistakes I've made are a thing of legend... My goodness, I would love to get punched every time I think about them. I'm contemplating retaking them even if I do well, because the fact that I made some of the STUPIDEST mistakes is bothering me immensely.

How have yours gone?

ACCURATE. Even when I feel I've done well and got full UMS I always have to log onto TSR and then prove myself wrong.. but all in all I think Im looking at AABB depending on the bio2 grade boundaries if they go down then AAAB and how badly I flop S1 (C in maths wont complement the 3/2 As :colondollar:)

Quick Reply

Latest