The Student Room Group

What is your uni gym like? (srs)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bestofyou
What a **** looking gym. Too many horrible weights and things. Where are the treadmills etc? Aren't going to lose much weight was lboro that's for sure LOL

the treadmills are where the person is taking the picture (up a flight of stairs) and in a room next to the main one xxxxxx
Original post by jimbo007
the treadmills are where the person is taking the picture (up a flight of stairs) and in a room next to the main one xxxxxx

I'll bet there aren't enough but
Reply 22
Pretty shocking. First of all, it's underground. There are no windows, never any fresh air at all. Secondly, it's VERY small and ill-equipped. It's terrible.
Ours mostly consists of vagina machines and lots of very expensive treadmills that you can browse facebook on. But at least there are nice plant features and a dedicated area for bosu ball workouts and yoga.

Then crammed into a little corner are two squat racks, two fixed benches and no lifting platform. Unsurprisingly, the floor broke and now if you deadlift you get dirty looks and/or you are told to stop.

I'm glad I can lift at home.

Original post by Tinglay

u mirin Loughborough uni gym?

brb the only uni gym in the UK to feature a GHR machine, also has some strongman equipment & Eleiko plates

Luffbrah seems to be the only uni that takes lifting seriously. Although I've heard that half the time they restrict access to only the rugby crew so you can't actually use it unless you want to be wipping arses with towels in the locker room on your weekends.

But if we want to talk about the GOAT

Spoiler

(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 24
Saw pics, knew it was Loughborough. Wouldn't mind having to go there as insurance purely for gym.
Reply 25

University of Surrey! :popout:

(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 26
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
This is definitely the highlight of lifting in FW1. All the same people that lifted when you were there are still there at the same times. :lol:

And probably always will be, unless Team Hulk manages to re-open somewhere that's not in a mushroom farm.

Whilst lurking on sugden I stumbled upon a video of Nick pulling a huge deficit deaflift then ripping his top off, it's about the only thing that has made me home sick :lol:
Original post by dasitmanedasit
lol no thanks. Brb working out next to students, much rather go to the gym that looks battered from the outside and has huge jacked guys. Thats what i learnt from my first year of sixth form.

I go to this type of gym atm. I'd still pick a professional looking gym with Elieko competition plates and actual texas bars than a chitty grunge gym with huge jacked guys. I train at a private bb gym in north london, about 1 in 2 people are on some kind of cycle, it gets old to stack your progress against gear users.
My university gym has a GHR, and some plates/bars from 2012 in the back room.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RollerBall
My university gym has a GHR

Mine has 2, don't know where this notion came from that Loughborough is the only uni with a GHR. :lol:
Mirin.
Warwick's is utter *****. Only redeeming thing is 3 eleiko bars and some bumpers (york). Got rid of their platform, can't drop from above waist height, all the weights packed into a room about the size of my room in halls (Westwood, semi srs), they spent **** loads on treadmills and bikes with tvs and a ****ing indoor climbing frame that I swear I have never seen anyone use aside from dips and pull ups.

Feels when I nearly firmed Bath instead.

Original post by willius

University of Surrey! :popout:

Pics of power plate, no pics of weights.

Original post by Hype en Ecosse
Mine has 2, don't know where this notion came from that Loughborough is the only uni with a GHR. :lol:

My school gym had one lol
Reply 32
Original post by Appeal to reason

Pics of power plate, no pics of weights.

The videos don't do it justice really :wink:
Can't get a full photo because the gym is so long with walkways going overhead, but this is the floorplan, at the far end (left on the bottom-most image) is the athlete training suite

(edited 9 years ago)
The only real benefit to having that many power racks is that you won't have to wait as long to use the equipment, although if it's well renowned it may have a lot more members, and so won't make much difference.
I go to uni of Liverpool, and the gym isn't too bad; 2 power racks, 2 deadlift platforms and 2 benches, but I never have to wait for equipment b/c it's dead in the morning (knock on wood for September though:s-smilie:)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MattyR2895
The only real benefit to having that many power racks is that you won't have to wait as long to use the equipment, although if it's well renowned it may have a lot more members, and so won't make much difference.
I go to uni of Liverpool, and the gym isn't too bad; 2 power racks, 2 deadlift platforms and 2 benches, but I never have to wait for equipment b/c it's dead in the morning (knock on wood for September though:s-smilie:)

Posted from TSR Mobile

My uni has 4 power racks, 2 squat racks and 8 squat stands (each with a platform). I still have to wait to be able to squat or use a platform.
My university gym has a GHR, and some plates/bars from 2012 in the back room.

Posted from TSR Mobile

quit qmo because of stupid closing times crew
Original post by bertstare
quit qmo because of stupid closing times crew

10pm? Where do you train now?

Posted from TSR Mobile
10pm? Where do you train now?

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah and isnt it 9pm on fri and 6pm on weekends...too restrictive and sometimes i only get a chance to train late

theres an anytime fitness 24hr in aldgate east which im joining once term starts, also has a branch near my house which is useful in the holidays
Original post by bertstare
yeah and isnt it 9pm on fri and 6pm on weekends...too restrictive and sometimes i only get a chance to train late

theres an anytime fitness 24hr in aldgate east which im joining once term starts, also has a branch near my house which is useful in the holidays

I've only ever had trouble on the weekend when I sometimes wake up hella late. Is the 24h any good? When I had a look for alternative gyms about a year ago they were either all crap (no racks, one bar + bench etc) or about £15 a month more expensive.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest