11stone and 5'5, classed as fat?

Is that weight too big for my height?! Would it be considered fat
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by ElleWls
Is that weight too big for my height?! Would it be considered fat

http://www.nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/Healthyweightcalculator.aspx

Sounds, like you'd have a bit of extra weight for you height. I'd image something like a fat belly or fat ass, something like that. It depends also what is your age, do you work out? maybe that weight is muscles, so then I'd imagine someone really buff for that height.
weight isn't really the best judge, you're not a massive amount heavier than me and I'm a size 8-10 with a 25" waist so not fat at all (I do quite a lot of exercise) however I know other people who weigh around this much and do look like they are too heavy - your measurements and clothes size will show better whether you are fat
Reply 3
Do you lift? Have you been lifting for more than a few months? If not to both then you are. If yes then look in the mirror, do you look fat?

BMI works for everyone who doesn't have a decent bit of muscle. But if you're not especially lean then it doesn't need to be a huge amount of muscle. I'm 5ft5 and 11.5 stone, I look pretty average.
for a non lifting/non roiding 5'5'' woman yes I'd consider that fat
Reply 5
If you're female, almost certainly yes. You can't have enough muscle to not be.
Reply 6
Original post by ElleWls
Ive uploaded a picture at http://s47.photobucket.com/user/ellewilis/media/3d4b9251-9985-4051-87f0-f5227793d68e_zps4af3d6e8.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

would really love the honesty, i just dont wanna look disgustingly fat, im a size 14

I'd consider that to be just what the BMI will tell you, overweight.

It's not disgustingly fat though, it's just out of shape.

If you want to get into shape, then start exercising and eating better.
You're not FAT. You're probably classed as slightly overweight, you look like an apple shape so you're carrying most of your weight around your middle and boobs. What's your diet/exercise like?
I'm that weight and shorter :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ElleWls
Ive uploaded a picture at http://s47.photobucket.com/user/ellewilis/media/3d4b9251-9985-4051-87f0-f5227793d68e_zps4af3d6e8.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

would really love the honesty, i just dont wanna look disgustingly fat, im a size 14

as I suspected you are slightly fat, not disgustingly so, nothing a couple months of a caloric deficit can't fix
Original post by ElleWls

BMI is a terrible indicator of whether someone is overweight or not as it doesn't take into account muscle mass.

Nobody here can genuinely say whether you're medically overweight or not as very few people on here are actual doctors. Internet opinions are, for the most part, worthless. So don't look too much into the negative ones. If I were a "lad", I'd say "I'd do you". IMO, you're not overweight.

"Disgustingly fat" would be the point where your bingo wings are longer than your drapes and you can't remember the last time you saw your toes.

That being said, if you're unhappy with the way you look then half an hour to an hours' exercise a day would improve both body and mind. Don't be one of those people who say "I would do anything to lose weight (bar exercise and eat healthily)!". People like that deserve the fat they're wearing because they lack self-discipline (barring those with medical conditions, obviously).
Original post by ElleWls

in my honest opinion (since you asked) you would look better (and more importantly probably be a bit healthier!) if you were a bit slimmer however you are not 'disgustingly fat'

I wouldn't obsess too much about your weight, as I said I'm 2-3 sizes smaller with visible abs and probably only 10lbs lighter :P - just focus on being healthy and the rest will follow, just focus on eating healthy foods, home cooked and lots of fruit and veg, eat when you're hungry but stop when you're full and identify your weak points (e.g. I'm 100% addicted to chocolate, I make sure I have small portions of chocolate around so if I want some I have something small rather than going to the shop and getting a full sized bar) and raise your activity level, start walking/cycling instead of driving or getting the bus, find an exercise you enjoy and do it and try and generally move more rather than sitting watching TV etc
Reply 12
I'll tell you a little story

Before I started dieting, I was about 17 - 5ft 8 and 12 st 7b. Slightly overweight.
I restricted my food heavily and went to 8st in the space of a year... NOT sustainable. I lost muscle mass and flushed my metabolism down the drain.
Now I am 10st7 and look the same as when I was about 12 stone, because I lost all my muscle mass and gained pretty much pure blubber.

Long story short stop focusing on the scale and focus on cleaning up your diet and exercising - at any weight, and at any age. For your health. This should be the leanest part of your life, so learn healthy habits now and you won't be 14 stone in 4 years time.
Reply 13
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
You're not FAT. You're probably classed as slightly overweight, you look like an apple shape so you're carrying most of your weight around your middle and boobs. What's your diet/exercise like?

Its crazy because i really dont mind my lower body its just my upper that makes me feel and look huge! My diet and exercise has improved majorly, this is a process, 6/7 months ago i was 13stone, now im 11, im working really hard but still feel so huge, thank you so much! everyone has been so honest, keep the honesty coming!! haha
Reply 14
Original post by doodle_333
in my honest opinion (since you asked) you would look better (and more importantly probably be a bit healthier!) if you were a bit slimmer however you are not 'disgustingly fat'

I wouldn't obsess too much about your weight, as I said I'm 2-3 sizes smaller with visible abs and probably only 10lbs lighter :P - just focus on being healthy and the rest will follow, just focus on eating healthy foods, home cooked and lots of fruit and veg, eat when you're hungry but stop when you're full and identify your weak points (e.g. I'm 100% addicted to chocolate, I make sure I have small portions of chocolate around so if I want some I have something small rather than going to the shop and getting a full sized bar) and raise your activity level, start walking/cycling instead of driving or getting the bus, find an exercise you enjoy and do it and try and generally move more rather than sitting watching TV etc

Thank you so much for your honesty! I appreciate all the help im getting, i just still feel quite big and look it also, ive been working hard though, about 7 months ago i was 13 stone! I just wanna look pretty and not gross looking haha! Thank you so much for being so informative, ill remmeber this! I go to the gym minimum 3 days a week, and ive started eating much healthier!
Reply 15
Original post by Greg Jackson
as I suspected you are slightly fat, not disgustingly so, nothing a couple months of a caloric deficit can't fix

Thank you so much for being honest with me, feels like everyone around me is sugarcoating it and saying i look fine and then i look in the mirror and see the opposite, so this is good for me to know, thank you! :smile: ive lost 30 lbs in the past 6/7 months and im gonna continue! :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by Drunk Punx
BMI is a terrible indicator of whether someone is overweight or not as it doesn't take into account muscle mass.

Nobody here can genuinely say whether you're medically overweight or not as very few people on here are actual doctors. Internet opinions are, for the most part, worthless. So don't look too much into the negative ones. If I were a "lad", I'd say "I'd do you". IMO, you're not overweight.

"Disgustingly fat" would be the point where your bingo wings are longer than your drapes and you can't remember the last time you saw your toes.

That being said, if you're unhappy with the way you look then half an hour to an hours' exercise a day would improve both body and mind. Don't be one of those people who say "I would do anything to lose weight (bar exercise and eat healthily)!". People like that deserve the fat they're wearing because they lack self-discipline (barring those with medical conditions, obviously).

Thank you so much for being so helpful, informative and honest. Im still in the process of losing the weight, ive lost 2stone in the past 6/7 months with pure hard work and healthy eating but i still have a long way to go which is the only discouraging thing about it, i wanna look decent right now and i dont think i do, frustrating! haha, thank you so much!!
Reply 17
Original post by Cinnie
I'll tell you a little story

Before I started dieting, I was about 17 - 5ft 8 and 12 st 7b. Slightly overweight.
I restricted my food heavily and went to 8st in the space of a year... NOT sustainable. I lost muscle mass and flushed my metabolism down the drain.
Now I am 10st7 and look the same as when I was about 12 stone, because I lost all my muscle mass and gained pretty much pure blubber.

Long story short stop focusing on the scale and focus on cleaning up your diet and exercising - at any weight, and at any age. For your health. This should be the leanest part of your life, so learn healthy habits now and you won't be 14 stone in 4 years time.

Thank you so much, this was also really helpful! i appreciate it!!
Original post by ElleWls
Thank you so much for your honesty! I appreciate all the help im getting, i just still feel quite big and look it also, ive been working hard though, about 7 months ago i was 13 stone! I just wanna look pretty and not gross looking haha! Thank you so much for being so informative, ill remmeber this! I go to the gym minimum 3 days a week, and ive started eating much healthier!

you don't sound like you need any tips then! congrats on doing well so far and good luck :smile:
I used to be the same. I'm 5"5 and I used to weigh just over 11 stone and was a size 14. I wouldn't say I was massively fat but I was overweight and quite a few people suggested that I should lose some weight. I'd probably suggest the same to anyone in that position. It's not "fat" but losing a few pounds wouldn't hurt. For the past year-and-half I've been eating more healthily, started exercising and cut back on crisps / chips / chocolate etc. Now I weigh just under 9 stone which I'm relatively happy with.

Quick Reply

Latest