The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by seaholme
I inherited a black one from a family member (Cardiology II - don't even know if they still sell them) and I can attest that I am usually the only person with such a boring steth colour.

I really wanted Burgundy or Carribean Blue... tempted to buy a 'spare' one when I'm earning the £££ eventually!

:ditto: Hang in there...
Original post by DexterM
Oh no :frown: Is that normal for your course? It seems like a lot.

Original post by Xotol
I've heard from the upper years it's normal. Also worth bearing in mind there are more people that left the course throughout the year, so I'm assuming the number that won't be returning to year 2 is close to 30 or 40. We have a big cohort year but it's just seems ridiculous to me. :s-smilie:

There were 180+ people in my year in first year.. There were about 120 last (3rd) year.. Wheat from the chaff

Posted from TSR Mobile
I lost my master cardiology. So yeah, get it engraved.

I'm in two thoughts about buying/needing a replacement...
Original post by visesh

Don't you have an F1 for that sort of thing, now?
Original post by Fission_Mailed
Don't you have an F1 for that sort of thing, now?

I still can't quite get myself to say 'Can i borrow your tubes?' and keep a straight face.
Original post by visesh

How often do you buy a new stethoscope? I got mine end of last year, and I'm hoping it lasts me the next four years through medical school, and hopefully beyond.
Original post by navarre
How often do you buy a new stethoscope? I got mine end of last year, and I'm hoping it lasts me the next four years through medical school, and hopefully beyond.

I've used that Master Cardiology since halfway through FY1 so almost 3 years. It was/is still in brilliant condition, and had I not misplaced it in theatres, I would probably have it until I finish my training. My Classic SE II lasted from 4th year until the end of FY2 when I donated it to a visiting medical student. I suspect it's still in good condition.

They last ages, just take care not to leave it out in the hot/cold (i.e. in the car...) as the rubber fatigues, and don't swinging it over your head. I would imagine the Classic SE II rubber might be less robust given it's thinner.
My inherited one is at least 20 years old and after a few weeks it became clear I had to replace the drum bit, rubber rim and both ear pieces because they'd loosened and kept coming off in my bag. Sufficiently scared by one consultant that I put the raw end right into my ear rather than admit I had a broken steth - hurt like hell! You can get all those spare bits really cheap from Littman in the post, so short of losing it or running it over, replacing the whole thing because of age isn't really something you'd ever need to do. Buying some rubber ear buds > buying a whole new steth for the cash strapped.
Original post by visesh
and don't swinging it over your head.

But what else am I supposed to be doing as I screech my war cry while running into the A&E waiting room?
Original post by crazylemon
Mine is getting on for 6 years - fine. Don't leave it lying around and it should last ages unless you somehow manage to destroy it.

I keep it in the box it came in, as I'm a bit of a freak when it comes to protecting my stuff from damage.
Original post by visesh
I've used that Master Cardiology since halfway through FY1 so almost 3 years. It was/is still in brilliant condition, and had I not misplaced it in theatres, I would probably have it until I finish my training. My Classic SE II lasted from 4th year until the end of FY2 when I donated it to a visiting medical student. I suspect it's still in good condition.

They last ages, just take care not to leave it out in the hot/cold (i.e. in the car...) as the rubber fatigues, and don't swinging it over your head. I would imagine the Classic SE II rubber might be less robust given it's thinner.

Thanks. And that sounds like a really nice thing that you did.
Original post by crazylemon
:lolwut: Were they that scary?

Maybe I just don't have enough fear of consultants. I have actually borrowed several consultants steths :colondollar:

You have no idea haha. You know every medical school has the 'legendary' consultants? Or I assume they do. That's the one.
What's the difference in sound quality like between the Classic II SE and the Cardiology III? My Classic II sounds rather muffled sometimes - or maybe I just suck at auscultation :hmpf:
As we're on the topic of stethoscopes, has anyone ever seen one in the office of an ophthalmologist/psychiatrist? I'm interested, because I saw one in the office of an ophthalmologist and I have no idea when an ophthalmologist would ever need one...
Original post by navarre
As we're on the topic of stethoscopes, has anyone ever seen one in the office of an ophthalmologist/psychiatrist? I'm interested, because I saw one in the office of an ophthalmologist and I have no idea when an ophthalmologist would ever need one...

Carotid bruits for central retinal artery occlusion perhaps.

Also you can auscultate the eye for opthalmic murmurs (i.e. retinal stenosis or vitreous regurg).
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Democracy
What's the difference in sound quality like between the Classic II SE and the Cardiology III? My Classic II sounds rather muffled sometimes - or maybe I just suck at auscultation :hmpf:

My paeds consultant let me use his badass £250 one. The difference was ridiculous!
Original post by maherro
My paeds consultant let me use his badass £250 one. The difference was ridiculous!

Haha nice. £250 though...think it'll have to wait until I start getting paid :colondollar:
Original post by Democracy
Haha nice. £250 though...think it'll have to wait until I start getting paid :colondollar:

Aye - my lithman feels like listening through cotton wool now ...
I lost my Classic ii SE and replaced it with a cardiology one and boy, for the first time hearing murmurs stopped being like some weird alchemy and started being plum obvious....
Does anyone find they get much consultant shade for having a cardiology steth rather than a litman? Mine needs replacing, and I'm a bit crap at hearing mumurs but have found it much easier using borrowed expensive ones - I'd consider it a worthwhile investment, but I'm a bit worried it'll look arrogant.
Reply 2979
Original post by chloemo14
Does anyone find they get much consultant shade for having a cardiology steth rather than a litman? Mine needs replacing, and I'm a bit crap at hearing mumurs but have found it much easier using borrowed expensive ones - I'd consider it a worthwhile investment, but I'm a bit worried it'll look arrogant.

I think it makes sense to start early with a better steth. I'm still rocking the classic 2 se but wish I'd gone for a nicer one - I've never seen anyone get flack for it.

Latest

Trending

Trending