The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

University of Sheffield 2015 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Smudjygirl
Thank you, I will. I have a good feeling since my tutor described my personal statement as "beautiful, fluent and academic" on my first draft. I sent my UCAS off too.
Best of luck with your application, I hope you get what you want!

Sounds like you're set! :smile:
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Would you reccomend Sheffield University? Is it a good university for engineering and a good city to live in? How much does it cost to live there?
Original post by AlexGDuarte
Would you reccomend Sheffield University? Is it a good university for engineering and a good city to live in? How much does it cost to live there?

The engineering dept. i'm told is very good, and they're currently building a whole new building for it all, due to open academic year 2015/2016 so there will be some pretty modern, quality facilities.

As for living, it's a nice city - lots of trees and greenery, very friendly, and easy to get around. There's a lot of international students as well so it's pretty diverse and usually plenty going on. Cost-wise the university halls are relatively similar to many cities/universities (i.e. not that cheap) but are very good quality. After first year average rent is around £60-£75 per week without bills, depending where you live. You can get it down in the £50-£60 range if you're willing to walk that little bit further, or you can find places where you're paying more. In overall living expenses it's one of the cheaper cities altogether.
Original post by Nymthae
The engineering dept. i'm told is very good, and they're currently building a whole new building for it all, due to open academic year 2015/2016 so there will be some pretty modern, quality facilities.

As for living, it's a nice city - lots of trees and greenery, very friendly, and easy to get around. There's a lot of international students as well so it's pretty diverse and usually plenty going on. Cost-wise the university halls are relatively similar to many cities/universities (i.e. not that cheap) but are very good quality. After first year average rent is around £60-£75 per week without bills, depending where you live. You can get it down in the £50-£60 range if you're willing to walk that little bit further, or you can find places where you're paying more. In overall living expenses it's one of the cheaper cities altogether.

Thank you, Nymthae. I'm really considering Sheffield, it sounds very good. I just need more information :smile:

Do I have good places to have fun around the city or is it a zombie city during most part of the day and night?
About accommodation, I would prefer to live alone. Do you know how much would be the rent?
How much do you think I'd spend per month, on average? 700-800£?
Reply 64
I applied for French and Politics at Sheffield exactly a week ago and I still haven't heard back from them which is a little strange as all my other unis have gotten in touch with me and UCL seem to be emailing me every day with something new, but I guess I'll just have to wait and see!
Reply 65
Original post by athena1
I applied for French and Politics at Sheffield exactly a week ago and I still haven't heard back from them which is a little strange as all my other unis have gotten in touch with me and UCL seem to be emailing me every day with something new, but I guess I'll just have to wait and see!

I applied for BA Modern Languages on Wednesday and haven't heard anything either. I also had acknowledgements from all of my other unis (Exeter, Southampton, Newcastle and Lancaster). Hopefully Sheffield don't take too long to make offers, its definitely my favourite! :smile:
Reply 66
Does Uni of Sheffield do interviews before making offers for economics degrees?
Original post by EspDe97
I applied for BA Modern Languages on Wednesday and haven't heard anything either. I also had acknowledgements from all of my other unis (Exeter, Southampton, Newcastle and Lancaster). Hopefully Sheffield don't take too long to make offers, its definitely my favourite! :smile:

What languages?
Reply 68
Original post by JamesJones777
What languages?

My major languages will be Spanish (post A-Level) and German (beginners), I'm not certain about my minor language yet but I'm considering Dutch :smile: Are you applying for languages at Sheffield?
Original post by EspDe97
My major languages will be Spanish (post A-Level) and German (beginners), I'm not certain about my minor language yet but I'm considering Dutch :smile: Are you applying for languages at Sheffield?

Chinese with French, I also applied to Newcastle for French, German and Chinese. Dutch would be good with German, it is very similar. I heard it spoken the other day and I understood most of what was said because I know some German.
Reply 70
Chinese with French, I also applied to Newcastle for French, German and Chinese. Dutch would be good with German, it is very similar. I heard it spoken the other day and I understood most of what was said because I know some German.

Oh cool, when did you send your application off? Have you heard from Sheffield or Newcastle yet? Yeah it is, I've been teaching myself a bit of German and really love it, so hopefully I'll like Dutch too!
Original post by EspDe97
Oh cool, when did you send your application off? Have you heard from Sheffield or Newcastle yet? Yeah it is, I've been teaching myself a bit of German and really love it, so hopefully I'll like Dutch too!

Acknowledgement from Newcastle, nothing from Sheffield. Not all send an acknowledgement. I sent mine off on the 24th or 25th of September.
Reply 72
Acknowledgement from Newcastle, nothing from Sheffield. Not all send an acknowledgement. I sent mine off on the 24th or 25th of September.

Oh ok, I guess I'll just have to settle for four acknowledgements then. I check track so often, really hope I get an offer soon so I won't be worrying so much!
Original post by EspDe97
Oh ok, I guess I'll just have to settle for four acknowledgements then. I check track so often, really hope I get an offer soon so I won't be worrying so much!

I just had an E-mail from Oxford, I was so excited as it was titled [h="2"]Your application to study Chinese (4 years)‏.[/h]It was just a confirmation that the college I applied to had received it :smile:
Reply 74
Original post by EspDe97

Yes, I heard that they were meant to be really good at replying so I hope they get back to me soon as I did really like it but I really love London too so I applied to LSE, KCL and UCL so I think if I got an offer from any of them I would choose it over Sheffield.
Reply 75
I just had an E-mail from Oxford, I was so excited as it was titled Your application to study Chinese (4 years)‏.

It was just a confirmation that the college I applied to had received it :smile:

Ah ok, that's more than I've heard from any of mine, they all just said that the uni had received it and it would be passed on to the department. I haven't heard anything today. Good luck with your application! :smile:
Reply 76
Original post by athena1
Yes, I heard that they were meant to be really good at replying so I hope they get back to me soon as I did really like it but I really love London too so I applied to LSE, KCL and UCL so I think if I got an offer from any of them I would choose it over Sheffield.

Oh ok, hopefully! I really love Sheffield and the Modern Languages department is amazing :smile: I live in London (not central though) so I didn't apply to any London unis
Does sheffield do interviews for engineering degrees like civil engineering?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 78
got an offer for ir and politics yesterday :smile:
Got an offer for Politics and Philosophy today :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending