The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

The Big 'Can I Get Into Durham With These Grades' Thread

Scroll to see replies

are these good enough for studying maths? will the lower mod results bring me down?

AS results AAAA

maths
C1 100

C2 90
M1 82
S1 77

further maths
FP1 89
S2 86
D1 68

physics 266/300

geography 177/200

iGCSEs/GCSEs 3 A*s 6 As

A2 predicteds A*A*A

thank you:smile:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by imyimy
are these good enough for studying maths? will the lower mod results bring me down?

AS results AAAA

maths
C1 100

C2 90
M1 82
S1 77

further maths
FP1 89
S2 86
D1 68

physics 266/300

geography 177/200

iGCSEs/GCSEs 3 A*s 6 As

A2 predicteds A*A*A

thank you:smile:

Your average Maths UMS isn't great and they will ask for them.
i got 10 A* and 3 A at gcse and AAAB at AS (for english, maths, classics and history respectively, now dropped history)
will my B negatively affect my chances much? and will they want to know individual UMS points?
I want to do english btw, and my school havent predicted my A level grades yet
I am an international student applying for English Literature at Durham! Love the course

i got 6A* and 2A at gcse (A* in English Language, English Literature and History)

for the IB i have 42/45 with 6 in English, 7 in history and an Extended Essay in English ( on Dylan Thomas if anyone is interested!)

in my personal statement I talk about Sylvia Plath's poetry allowing me to read on into Ann Sexton's poetry, my Extended Essay and also my exchange year in Austria (which led me to read Beowulf and the Romance of the Middle Ages. I also talk about my aspiration of specializing in literary translation after reading Love in the Time of Cholera.

what are my chances of getting in?

thanks guys!
Thinking of applying for chemistry

I got 6A*, 1A, 1B, 1 Distinction*, 1 Distinction in GCSE/BTEC (dunno if btecs count)

A-Level Maths - A*
AS Chem - A (low UMS though 242/300 i think)
AS Physics - B (dropped)

And doing further maths a-level and a2 chem this year, dunno what predicted grades are though

I also did the chemistry NESIP project thing at Durham this summer, dont think i can put on my personal statement that i did it at durham though cause other unis will probs reject me.

Dunno if it's worth applying :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys

I want to apply for the Natural Sciences(bio) degree at Durham.
I got 8A* 5As for GCSE and the following for AS
A- Biology (263/300) 88%
A- Economics (184/200) 92%
B- Chemistry (236/300) 79%, only 4 ums from an A waiting for my remark
B- Maths (230/300)77% I'm retaking both C1 and C2

My school is quite strict with predicted grades and and so I'm predicted A for econ and bio, B for maths and chemistry. My course's standard offer is A*AA.

I also did a 2 week work placement in a genetics research lab at UCL.

Help do you think I should apply and have a chance of getting an offer?
I want to apply for maths

GCSE: A*A*A*A*A*AAAAB
AS: AAAB in Maths, further maths, chemistry and physics respectively
Maths modules, 300/300, C1, C2 and M1
Further maths modules, 246/300, FP1, D1, D2, low A due to D1 in part, but mainly D2 (**** decision)
resitting D2
taking STEP I
I imagine I will be predicted A*AA (I think this is a realistic result)
Applying for Philosophy

AS grades were AAAA in History, English Lit, Philosophy and Sociology, A2 predictions are 3A*s in English, History and Philosophy. However my GCSEs are awful, 7A 3Bs and 2Cs, with C in maths and physics.

Do I have a good chance?
I want to study Combined Honours in Arts

My GCSEs are: A*AAAAABBBBB

AS: English Lit: A
Spanish: A
Biology:B
Science in Society: C
General Studies: C

Predicted A*AB (my spanish teacher was a bit harsh as I got 88% at AS and won't predict me an A*)

Do you think I have any chance of getting in?
I'm hoping to apply for Combined Honours in Social Sciences and study Politics and International Relations but I'm a bit worried about my application as I don't have the typical grades-
GCSE: AAABBBBBB
AS: A- English Lang, A- General Studies, B- History, B-RE, C-Literature (messed up the exam but was only 1 UMS off a B)
Do you think I stand a chance of getting in or should I forget it and apply somewhere else?
Thanks
I want to apply for PPE and I got 3A*s 7As and a B at GCSE and AABB at AS in maths, biology, French and chemistry. I dropped chemistry and I'm now predicted an A* in maths and As in French and biology. I was going to apply to York, Leeds, Manchester, Lancaster and UEA but now I'm thinking about applying to Durham instead of Leeds but I'm not sure if any of my grades are good enough, especially my AS ones :frown:
Hi guys quick question, does anyone know the maths average UMS Durham ask for? They want our UMS scores on the exams and Im not sure If mine is high or low?

I do maths and further maths and achieved the following--

C1(100)
C2(96)
M1(83)

FP1(92)
D1(85)
S1(77)-- will resit

Thanks for any help ! 😄

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm aware history is a competitive subject at Durham and I'm worried my below standard AS results will hold me back! Any advice is welcome :smile:

GCSE's: 10A*s and an A
AS/A2: A in A2 maths(I did maths and further maths so completed it a year early) B in English (I'm retaking an exam) and a B in History (I got an A in one exam and a C in the other which I am retaking!)
My A2 predictions are AAAa(I'm sitting further maths AS this year!)

Thanks!:biggrin:
Just wondering if i should apply to durham for maths or not. (not interested in any other courses)

GCSEs: 1A*, 4B, 3C
AS level:
Maths; A (C1 88, C2 100, D1 85)
Accountancy; B (152/200)
ICT; B (227/300)

In year 13 I am taking further maths AS and A2 in the same year so for maths I will have got the modules of:

C1, C2, C3, C4, FP1, FP2, FP3, FP4, D1, M1, S1, S2.

Predicted: AABB

Is it worth even bothering applying?
Hi, I'm thinking about applying for History.

My GCSE's aren't that great, I got 6 A*, 5As, 1 B, 2 Cs
At AS I got AAAAA , but my A2 predictions are A*A*A, in English, Philosophy and History. I don't want to declare my UMS due to getting a lower score in my second unit.

Will my GCSE's and history prediction put me at too much of a disadvantage? I have a few extracurriculars-placement and independent research project at an archives, Victorian book club, EPQ, wrote for the guardian, mentoring programme, teaching assistant for a history class.

Is it worth me applying?

Thanks
Original post by samstown

At AS I got AAAAA , but my A2 predictions are A*A*A, in English, Philosophy and History. I don't want to declare my UMS due to getting a lower score in my second unit.

Will my GCSE's and history prediction put me at too much of a disadvantage? I have a few extracurriculars-placement and independent research project at an archives, Victorian book club, EPQ, wrote for the guardian, mentoring programme, teaching assistant for a history class.

Is it worth me applying?

Thanks

You have nothing to lose by applying and anything anyone can tell you on here is pretty much as what you'll know yourself...

Your grades are appear fine to me and considering Durham don't ask for UMS generally when it comes to Arts subjects you're fine on that front. There will be people in much worse positions than you applying for the same course (for example people at my own school), so just go for it.
Good luck :cool:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by tiny hobbit
Your average Maths UMS isn't great and they will ask for them.

what do you think the average that they will accept is? I am applying for maths so I do maths and further maths along with chemistry at A level. My maths average on its own is pretty high being 93% but when combined with my further maths modules it comes down to 89% because I got 77 on the S1 module, fml. Other than that though I got an a in every single module for maths and I will redo the stats one. What do you think? thanks!:biggrin:
Original post by monica555
what do you think the average that they will accept is? I am applying for maths so I do maths and further maths along with chemistry at A level. My maths average on its own is pretty high being 93% but when combined with my further maths modules it comes down to 89% because I got 77 on the S1 module, fml. Other than that though I got an a in every single module for maths and I will redo the stats one. What do you think? thanks!:biggrin:

You've got strong scores in the more important modules, so it will probably be alright. Particularly because S2 is better than S1 (and no-one cares about D1 anyway...)
Original post by samstown

Is it worth me applying?

Thanks
Yes, it is worth applying. You have a decent shot.
You get 5 choices, so you may as well get a good spread going. With those grades you're definitely going to get into a good university for History anyway.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Llewellyn
You've got strong scores in the more important modules, so it will probably be alright. Particularly because S2 is better than S1 (and no-one cares about D1 anyway...)
Yes, it is worth applying. You have a decent shot.
You get 5 choices, so you may as well get a good spread going. With those grades you're definitely going to get into a good university for History anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest