The Student Room Group

Girl said that I am "too nice". What to do?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Emily.97
There's nothing wrong with what?
Maybe he does want her to be attracted to her..but thats not an excuse to change the way you behave or who you are for someone.

Its unfair to make a generalised comment that "women" wont be attracted to this.

Sure, there are women attracted to just about everything, but it would be a lie to tell OP that it doesn't severely reduce his dating pool and he should just keep on being a doormat.
Original post by CJKay
Sure, there are women attracted to just about everything, but it would be a lie to tell OP that it doesn't severely reduce his dating pool and he should just keep on being a doormat.

I didnt say that there are women attracted to just about anything, and I'm not saying that he should be a doormat. Just because this one girl has said hes too nice, it doesn't mean he has to completely re consider how he behaves towards others and that other people will have exactly the same opinion. How do you know that being "too nice" (if its even possible to be so) would reduce someones "dating pool"?
So what if being "too nice" doesnt attract some people? He would be better off with someone who accepts and appreciates him for who he is.
Reply 62
I didnt say that there are women attracted to just about anything, and I'm not saying that he should be a doormat. Just because this one girl has said hes too nice, it doesn't mean he has to completely re consider how he behaves towards others and that other people will have exactly the same opinion. How do you know that being "too nice" (if its even possible to be so) would reduce someones "dating pool"?
So what if being "too nice" doesnt attract some people? He would be better off with someone who accepts and appreciates him for who he is.

This is pretty much dating 101 for guys - many grow up being "too nice". Most of us realise it is a major turn-off when you get to, I don't know, 18 or so. It is fairly common knowledge that the average woman is not attracted to guys who can't make decisions or be assertive at least some of the time.
If you genuinely are a nice person, then stay the way you are. People will be nice to you as well.
Reply 64
Don't change being a nice person, she just isn't attracted to you. If she was then she would love how nice you are to her, I'm sure she appreciates you, she just doesn't want anything more with you than a friendship sadly.
It's means, she like being bound tided and gaged by overweight xcons.
Original post by President Putin
Don't ever change who you are because of one irrelevant female.

You will inevitably find someone who respects you for who you are.

True. But maybe she has a point? I mean have I been too nice to her just because I like her? I guess I did this unknowingly or simply because I wanted to be there for her in any way I could..
Original post by ilem
For the umpteenth time, stop wasting your time on her man. You know fully well nothing will ever come out of it, bar emotional damage to you.

Hmm.. I guess you're right. So why can't I get over her? :/
Original post by bella_shadow
You need to start saying no. How do you expect girls you like to like you back if they see you as their puppy who does whatever they want? I'm not telling you to start being an arse, it's great that you're a nice guy, but you need to put yourself first sometimes or you won't be respected by these girls. If this particular girl questions you on suddenly saying no to her then buy her a stuffed toy or something because you're a person and if she really cares about you she won't treat you differently; if she treats you differently she's not worth it and you will find someone who is. The last time I checked there are over 7 billion people in the world

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes. Very true. I will start to say no and keep in mind what you said. (I actually said no to her for something today. It's a start.)
Reply 69
Original post by believeteam22
My female friend said to me that I am "too nice".
I guess she is right. I have a tendency to be nice to girls I like. I guess this is a weakness, but it just happens. I really dislike not being nice to people I like.

And I realise that being "too nice" is not really a good thing and that I need to change.

But how do I do that? I never say "no" to her for anything.

I really need to change but I don't know how to go about it and without looking like an ***

I feel really close to said girl and I am afraid if I start acting differently, start saying "no" etc, she might start to treat me differently and I might not be as important to her anymore. That's how I feel inside :/

I know I sound beta as **** and I only recently really thought about it like that.

How can I change? Any advice please?

In bold is a key thing, there's being nice and then is being a pushover, you can be nice without being a pushover, what you're doing is being kinda a pushover, i've done it so i know what it's liike, learn to have an opinion on things, have some backbone; don't be an arse but if she suggests or ask for a good place to eat say something like "Why don't we try somewhere new i hear [insert place] is good, why don't we try there"

Also learn to flirt, you're interested in her yes, then show it, make cheeky remarks (not too cheeky, requires a bit of practise), compliment her in way that most guy dont' notice, if she happens to be wearing a particularly nice dress that suits her and brings out a certain feature (face, her frame if you wanna be cheeky say boobs or butt and add a wink - that again requires some practise), comment on it
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Tomsta
In bold is a key thing, there's being nice and then is being a pushover, you can be nice without being a pushover, what you're doing is being kinda a pushover, i've done it so i know what it's liike, learn to have an opinion on things, have some backbone; don't be an arse but if she suggests or ask for a good place to eat say something like "Why don't we try somewhere new i hear [insert place] is good, why don't we try there"

Also learn to flirt, you're interested in her yes, then show it, make cheeky remarks (not too cheeky, requires a bit of practise)

She'll just say. 'Cheeky lad' and walk into a car full of SnapBacks

Just kidding ladies and gentlemen, yes a backbone is required

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 71
Original post by Yeah dude
She'll just say. 'Cheeky lad' and walk into a car full of SnapBacks

Just kidding ladies and gentlemen, yes a backbone is required

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not gonna lie took me years to have enough confidence within myself to starting playing the cheeky card
Original post by Tomsta
Not gonna lie took me years to have enough confidence within myself to starting playing the cheeky card

I was able to do it when I was a quiet kid (before i became louder) and it surprised the girls and they liked, so that's a plus if there's any quiet dudes out there ladies and gentlemen

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 73
Original post by Yeah dude
I was able to do it when I was a quiet kid (before i became louder) and it surprised the girls and they liked, so that's a plus if there's any quiet dudes out there ladies and gentlemen

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes i'm actually surprised how well my cheekiness works at times (no i'm not some player douche, i'm just naturally flirty and very cheeky)
Yes. Very true. I will start to say no and keep in mind what you said. (I actually said no to her for something today. It's a start.)

Congrats!! Putting a shrink cap on, how did it feel? Baby steps are good, and i should've mentioned it before, because there's no way you can change overnight and if you say 'no' here and there it's much more likely to be a change and not a 'i'll be assertive for a month or two and go back to how i was before'
Reply 75
That's a good thing! There's no need to question whether thats a weakness :smile: What is she trying to say by saying that her bf is the opposite of you..? She wants you to be like him/her :s-smilie:? I don't quite get her thought processes behind these comments, and I'd advise you to ignore them and don't even consider changing the way you behave.

I don't agree that it makes you a push over. She'd probably have something to say if you ended up saying no to everything too! You can't really win.. can you?

You can still be a nice guy and not be a doormat, let me phrase it to you this way,

2 guys both the same in every way but one has very low self esteem and therefore doesn't voice his own opinions and just agree's with you all the time (and i mean ALL the time) the other voices his opinions from time to time and isn't afraid to stand up for what he believes in, but not in an ******** way

Which one of those sounds more attractive to you?

I was a "doormat" before uni, till i learned to low myself for who i am and boost my self confidence
Reply 76
Hmm.. I guess you're right. So why can't I get over her? :/

What you need to do is to genuinely accept the fact that you will never be with her and stop talking to her. To be honest I have no idea what you see in her anyway judging by the stuff you've written here. She sounds awful, indecisive and manipulative.

What you will do though is go back right back to her thinking making some minor change like saying 'no' to her once is enough and then the cycle will repeat ad infinitum.
Original post by Ruthless Dutchman
Oohohoho I remember that feeling.

Girl back in 6th form, I ended up head over heels with her but unfortunately she already had someone right through it. We'd talk about anything and I'd happily help with whatever I could, then again I'd help any of my friends if they needed it. It got to the point where we both admitted our feelings for eachother but we knew it could go no further. As much as I was infatuated by her on every level, I was ok with just being a close friend, because I could still spend time with her, be invited to birthday parties, I even got along well with her parents! Some may call this being in the Marinas Trench of the friendzone but I didn't care, at least I got to be comfortably close to someone whose company I enjoyed. I respectfully made my exit when she was with her boyfriend though.

So as you mentioned, she's taken, so there's no way of barging your way into a relationship with her. There's nothing wrong with being 'too nice', it's just your nature and it's most likely quite endearing to a lot of girls. Just make sure you don't act like she's the source of all light in the world, because you'll just be setting yourself up for a hard time.

But by all means feel free to continue spending time with her if you're comfortable how it is right now, don't feel bad about being too nice.

I kind of agree with you in a way. I do enjoy her company as a friend, and we get on really well together, and I know she enjoys my company too.

Yes you're right. I will think about this. Thanks for your input.
Original post by Viceroy
Being a pushover is never good. It's important to stand up for what you want and who you are. That said, it sounds like you enjoy being nice to her, and there's nothing wrong with that! If she isn't into you for whatever reason, someone else will be. Being a nice guy is a great thing. :smile:

Yes, true, ok :smile:
I won't be a pushover from now on for sure.
That's a good thing! There's no need to question whether thats a weakness :smile: What is she trying to say by saying that her bf is the opposite of you..? She wants you to be like him/her :s-smilie:? I don't quite get her thought processes behind these comments, and I'd advise you to ignore them and don't even consider changing the way you behave.

I don't agree that it makes you a push over. She'd probably have something to say if you ended up saying no to everything too! You can't really win.. can you?

No, I think she just said it, no real reason to it. I kind of agree. But I will be more careful about being a pushover in the future.

Hmm.. maybe. Anyway I will just be myself and say no if I don't feel like doing something for her.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending