The Student Room Group

Oxford Fine Art Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
On the bright side, the part-time receptionist at the RSA (Emma Jones) is being very helpful in boxing, sealing and labelling the portfolio, ready to be picked up by courier on Monday and back with us on Tuesday, ages before the next interview date. I was anxious as they said they would not be involved in the return, but they are being more helpful than I thought they might (I guess they have a mountain and they want to move them out!).
Reply 161
I was wondering if any of you knows something more about the practical test for BA Fine Art?
I am trying to prepare for it somehow, and I'd really appreciate if someone could give me example of questions that were asked, what do they look for etc. I found one test on their website, but I would really like to know something more.
Thanks in advance!
Original post by oagata
I was wondering if any of you knows something more about the practical test for BA Fine Art?
I am trying to prepare for it somehow, and I'd really appreciate if someone could give me example of questions that were asked, what do they look for etc. I found one test on their website, but I would really like to know something more.
Thanks in advance!

Given this a bump for you in hope that someone might be able to help you :hat2:
Reply 163
Original post by bb193
On the bright side, the part-time receptionist at the RSA (Emma Jones) is being very helpful in boxing, sealing and labelling the portfolio, ready to be picked up by courier on Monday and back with us on Tuesday, ages before the next interview date. I was anxious as they said they would not be involved in the return, but they are being more helpful than I thought they might (I guess they have a mountain and they want to move them out!).

Not quite so good as I hoped. Their website says 'When arranging delivery of your portfolio, it is extremely important to ensure that your work is securely packaged'. We still had the original box the portfolio case came in, so we sealed it in the box, with an address and name label on both sides of the box and one side of the portfolio case. They agreed with the shipping agent to put it back in the box, seal it and stick on the courier label that had been emailed to them.

On Monday, the courier turned up and the portfolio wasn't available to collect. Several phone calls to RSA later, the courier returned and collected the portfolio on Wednesday and I have got it back today. The box was missing (how come it needs to be 'securely packaged' on the way there, but it is OK to discard the secure packaging on the way back?) and bashed. On the bright side the contents seem to be ok, and the sketch books are still there. It does feel a little like adding insult to injury. :frown: I might expect that as they have to do this with a lot of them, and they have been doing it for years, they might be quite good at it by now.

The message is quite clearly not to send anything that you value, send copies instead of originals and as a minimum make sure you have really good scans/photos of anything that you might want to use for your other portfolio submissions - there really is no guarantee of the state of it when it comes back.
Moving it to creative arts.
Original post by bertiewallace123
how was yours worded?

To start a foundation and reapply "there was some interesting and personal things about your work however we want you to benefit from a foundation year and reapply" sort of thing

to be honest i reckon everyone got it? anyone got a heads up - again congrats you everyone who got an offer I hope your interviews go well! :smile:
Original post by Artfanatic
To start a foundation and reapply "there was some interesting and personal things about your work however we want you to benefit from a foundation year and reapply" sort of thing

to be honest i reckon everyone got it? anyone got a heads up - again congrats you everyone who got an offer I hope your interviews go well! :smile:

Hmm im suspicious of that. I phoned reception and she said only a handful get the reapply stuff in their feedback
Reply 167
Original post by bertiewallace123
Hmm im suspicious of that. I phoned reception and she said only a handful get the reapply stuff in their feedback

Without the precise wording, it is difficult to judge. I don't think my daughter's email actually used the word 'reapply'. From memory, it said something like:-
'This year the course was exceptionally competitive, with 250+ applications for 28 places. Although there were already some interesting things in your portfolio, we feel that you would benefit by doing a foundation course before applying to the Oxford Ruskin.'

So it didn't actually use the 'reapply' word. However you look at it, the odds are long and getting even longer. I wouldn't pin all my hopes on one course.
Reply 168
You should ask someone who applied to Ruskin. Only Oxford has those practical tests, I think. There's a thread for those who applied to Ruskin.
Reply 169
Original post by eei
You should ask someone who applied to Ruskin. Only Oxford has those practical tests, I think. There's a thread for those who applied to Ruskin.

Yes, I posted it in Oxford thread, but someone moved it here.
Thanks though
Original post by oagata
Yes, I posted it in Oxford thread, but someone moved it here.
Thanks though

It was me. I shall move it back, since no one has picked it up here!
Reply 171
i also would really appreciate advice on the practical test or interview for fine art -- if you find anything helpful please let me know! thanks
Reply 172
does anybody have any advice on what to expect from an interview/the practical test for fine art? thanks
Reply 173
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
It was me. I shall move it back, since no one has picked it up here!

I don't think there's enough Oxford students in the fine art section, so better ask this question again within the thread about the applications.
Original post by eei
I don't think there's enough Oxford students in the fine art section, so better ask this question again within the thread about the applications.

I've moved it from Oxford to creative arts and back to Oxford to get it maximum exposure. I'm done now.
Reply 175
Original post by Lizjm
does anybody have any advice on what to expect from an interview/the practical test for fine art? thanks

I guess you have seen the stuff on the Ruskin's website about the interview - http://www.rsa.ox.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/applying-to-study-for-a-bfa

They did used to have an old practical test sheet on their website, but I can't seem to find it now. They may have removed it because it is not right any more? Anyway, it is attached to this post, in case it is helpful.

PS - TSR has done something weird with the name of the attachment - sorry, but it does seem to still work.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 176
:smile:
Reply 177
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
I've moved it from Oxford to creative arts and back to Oxford to get it maximum exposure. I'm done now.

Thanks for your help! I guess that no matter where you put it, nobody can help me :wink:
Original post by oagata
Thanks for your help! I guess that no matter where you put it, nobody can help me :wink:

I'm afraid it looks like it. I could try Applications and Ucas as a last resort if you'd like?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending