The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Combined Arts/Social Sciences at Durham University

Scroll to see replies

Original post by star999
CFLS is non-credit I think. basically an extra curricular.

Original post by georgew204
Hi, I thought you could take modules from the CFLS in languages even if you don't have a language A Level? Is it possible to do this on the Combined Honours courses?

The CFLS offers both for-credit modules from beginners to A-Level, worth 20 credits and on timetable, as well as the extra-curricular 'languages for all' program which is the standard evening class type of thing
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by anupama.rijhwani
That sounds so cool :biggrin:

Omg, I really hope they have gotten rid of it! When I went for the Open Day last year, it was still a compulsory module :/

Original post by Stanners95
I'm thinking of doing English Lit and Spanish with a stray German module tagging along for the first year. Do you know if we have to study that Human Perspectives module - or have they just got rid of it? (I SO hope they have!)

Original post by anupama.rijhwani
That sounds so cool :biggrin:

Omg, I really hope they have gotten rid of it! When I went for the Open Day last year, it was still a compulsory module :/

Hi there, the perspectives on human nature module wasnt running this year, so we just picked all own choice modules, but I believe they were trying to replace it with another module once they found a new deputy director or something... Im not sure if it will be running, check the faculty handbook for modules which are running this year: https://www.dur.ac.uk/faculty.handbook/
Reply 102
Hi everyone! I'm very new to the Durham system so my questions might seem a little silly but help is appreciated :smile:

I'm narrowing down my university choices at the moment and I want to major in History and Economics... is this possible? For example, could I apply for a combined degree in social sciences and then pick economics and history only? Or would it be better to apply to more subjects as well?

Thank you!
Original post by 2015brj
Hi everyone! I'm very new to the Durham system so my questions might seem a little silly but help is appreciated :smile:

I'm narrowing down my university choices at the moment and I want to major in History and Economics... is this possible? For example, could I apply for a combined degree in social sciences and then pick economics and history only? Or would it be better to apply to more subjects as well?

Thank you!

Hi - You can apply for between 2 and 4 subjects in Combined Honours at Durham so applying for just History and Economics is fine. See www.dur.ac.uk/combined.honours/socscience/ for more details. :smile:
Reply 104
Original post by Palatine
Hi - You can apply for between 2 and 4 subjects in Combined Honours at Durham so applying for just History and Economics is fine. See www.dur.ac.uk/combined.honours/socscience/ for more details. :smile:

Thank you! :smile:
Hello
I am a potential mature student with long-standing health problems from another EU country. Actually, I was a student before, but my studies were unsuccessful. I nearly died from serious illness. Unfortunately my doctors have forbidden me from studying at university again, unless I can be a part-time student for the first two years or so. I had plans to apply for Combined Honours in Arts/Social Sciences [Politics and History] as that was reportedly a part-time course, but different webpages are vague. Have things been changed? I hope they haven't because I am desperate for a place and most of the universities in my country are mediocre.

Can anyone tell me what is going on?
Anyone applied this year (2015 entry) and had an offer/reply? Or waiting like me?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 107
Original post by emily997
Anyone applied this year (2015 entry) and had an offer/reply? Or waiting like me?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Im waiting as well. Sent it in last month but today they sent me a fee status questionnaire (I'm assuming because I'm a british national schooling abroad)
Hey Guys,

Bit of background before I get to my question: I didn't apply to this course this year as my predicted grades are AAA and as it said on their website that it is a very competitive course I thought it very unlikely that I would be considered. I have applied for their Health and Human Sciences BSc course (still waiting for a response!) as it sounds incredibly interesting to me, however it would be ever better suited to me if I was able to study three of my interests rather than one as my interests are quite different from one another. I would probably take Business, English (both taken at A-level) and Anthropology if possible.

Due to severe illness in year 12 and last year (I took a year out to recover, still fighting) one of my teachers has dropped my predicted grade to an A rather than an A* but it is still possible (fingers crossed) that I could achieve it if I perform well in my exam. If I did get A*AA at the end of the year, do any of you think it likely that Durham may give me a place on this course through adjustment? Or do you imagine, as it is so competitive, that they would not have any spaces available, or would fill any available spaces up with people who exceed the A*AA requirement?

good luck to all of you waiting for offers :-)
Original post by Josh058
Following my rejection from Oxford for History & Politics, I am probably going to accept my offer to do Combined Arts at Durham, unless I feel like I really want to re-apply next year.

Is anyone else studying this course and has anything to say about it? Positive things, criticism, general comments on the course and the university...

And who else is also holding an offer for this and probably accepting it?

I'm looking forward to being able to study Theology/Philosophy and Anthropology alongside History and Politics. Visited the university and liked it quite a lot (although it was outside of term-time and seemed a lot quieter than it probably is). Applied to Trevelyan College.

Forgive me for not reading all of the pages of this thread before commenting- current Combined Honours Arts student here and happy to help :P

I love it! I had an offer for Theology at Oxford, but decided to firm Durham instead and I 100% don't regret the decision.

It's great to be able to try multiple modules, and to explore interests in multiple areas without the restrictions single/joint honours force on you- for example, I'm interested in aspects of Theology, I don't have the take the first year module in, for example, the History of Christianity whereas my single honours friends do! And I'm free to do Education & Philosophy too, which I can change next year if I so desire!

In total honesty, the admin in Freshers' Week was a little more stressful for me than for single honours, but it felt a small price to pay for the flexibility afforded to me.

Durham is great, and the friends I have at Trev's love it there. I couldn't recommend a University more, to be honest.

You can study up to 4 subjects in First Year, currently anyway, so you'd have to pick 4 from the 5 you've listed, and pick modules carefully to leave yourself open pathways and ensure you're not spread too thinly, but it really is a wonderful opportunity as a course :smile:

Original post by Rrobba
Hi, I got an A*AA offer for CH Social Sciences which I've selected as my firm choice. I have two questions:

(1) How does the final degree title work? Let's say I take most modules in geography and economics but 1 or 2 in history just because I'm interested. Would I end up with a joint econ and geog degree or would history also feature in the degree title? I assume there is a minimum credit requirement for this?

(2) Does anyone know how lenient they are grades-wise? My offer is for A*AA...any ideas the liklihood of being accepted if I ended up getting AAA?

Thanks in advance :smile:

Currently it's 40 credits (2 modules, or 1 double module) over years 2 & 3 to have it named as a subject on the certificate. Currently stands as "Combined Honours in Social Sciences: Geography, Economics & History" if you took the minimum credits, for example :smile:
Original post by sanksta
Hi :smile:

I currently study Combined Honours in Arts (English Lit and Spanish) and am in second year so feel free to ask me any questions! Further to above discussions though, I feel like I should point out that the Perspectives module won't be running next year which will offer more flexibility and balance, especially for 2+2+2 combinations. The English department are also now planning to be more flexible with module requirements as a the dissertation has become a double module rather than a single so takes up yet another module choice.

Hi! I currently hold an offer for English lit at Durham but am in the process of changing to Combined Honours in Arts as I can't bear to give up Spanish and I love the thought of studying philosophy and History of Art. I couldn't find a joint degree in English and Spanish and I wonder if this is why you chose to do the combined hons? How do you find studying the combined hons, what exactly made you choose it over other courses that would be a joint in English and Spanish? Sorry for the 20Qs I just want to make sure I'm making the right decision! Do you feel as though you can't study in as much depth? (Final question I promise!) Are the graduate prospects better? I'm a bit worried that I won't be able to do a postgrad because I won't have studied Spanish/English to the same depth as someone who just studied a single honours...
Thanks for any help you can offer me! :smile:
Reply 111
I'm currently in my last year at Durham studying Combined Arts. I started off as a Classics student and switched to the course this year. I don't have any criticisms as of yet. I really enjoy the freedom to choose my modules and the course itself is very well organised. As far as the university as a whole goes, I've really loved it. Although, I think it is a very different place depending on your college (although most people end up loving theirs, whichever it is). Most things (social and otherwise) are done via your college. I'm at Castle, so I can't really say anything about Trevs except that the Hill colleges (as im sure you know) are closer to sciences but much further away from the Arts lecture theatres and from town, so you will be walking more. Although, for most people I've met, that hasn't been too much of a problem. Feel free to ask any questions. Good luck!
Original post by Ann1994
I'm currently in my last year at Durham studying Combined Arts. I started off as a Classics student and switched to the course this year. I don't have any criticisms as of yet. I really enjoy the freedom to choose my modules and the course itself is very well organised. As far as the university as a whole goes, I've really loved it. Although, I think it is a very different place depending on your college (although most people end up loving theirs, whichever it is). Most things (social and otherwise) are done via your college. I'm at Castle, so I can't really say anything about Trevs except that the Hill colleges (as im sure you know) are closer to sciences but much further away from the Arts lecture theatres and from town, so you will be walking more. Although, for most people I've met, that hasn't been too much of a problem. Feel free to ask any questions. Good luck!

Hi! Do you mind me asking what subjects you've chosen to do? :smile:
Reply 113
Original post by nutellaqe
Hi! Do you mind me asking what subjects you've chosen to do? :smile:

Hi! I'm technically studying Classics and Education, but the Art History department at Durham exists with the Education one, so I'm really studying Classics, Education and Art History. In my second year, although still part of the Classics department, I did the same combination (using optional modules.) So, I've really done the same thing all the way through. It's only the name of my degree which has changed (I had to change in order to continue with anything outside of Classics). You might want to consider which subject you want to do a dissertation in as most departments (ones I've spoken to anyway) require you to take a module in the discipline in which you do your dissertation, which means (as many dissertation modules are 40 credits) you are very likely to end up taking half your degree in one subject in your last year. Although maybe that's a bit premature. Hope that helps!
Original post by Ann1994
Hi! I'm technically studying Classics and Education, but the Art History department at Durham exists with the Education one, so I'm really studying Classics, Education and Art History. In my second year, although still part of the Classics department, I did the same combination (using optional modules.) So, I've really done the same thing all the way through. It's only the name of my degree which has changed (I had to change in order to continue with anything outside of Classics). You might want to consider which subject you want to do a dissertation in as most departments (ones I've spoken to anyway) require you to take a module in the discipline in which you do your dissertation, which means (as many dissertation modules are 40 credits) you are very likely to end up taking half your degree in one subject in your last year. Although maybe that's a bit premature. Hope that helps!

That's incredibly helpful, thank you! I was thinking of having Spanish and English lit as my main subjects and then maybe dabble a bit in philosophy and history of art just because I love them! I realise though that I'll probably have to just focus on 2 subjects in my final year because of workload etc. Can I ask if there are any pros/cons to doing this course instead of a single hons or joint hons that you've found?
Hi guys,
do you know if for combined honours in social sciences you can split the modules in 4 for one subject and 2 for another in 1st year?

Reply 116
Original post by Bella112
Hi guys,
do you know if for combined honours in social sciences you can split the modules in 4 for one subject and 2 for another in 1st year?

They set a maximum of 4 modules per subject, as with 5 you'd effectively just be doing a degree in that with 1 optional module, but 4+2 is perfectly fine. That is, as someone mentioned above, provided they're not running the core 'Perspectives on Human Nature' module which they did in previous years for all CH students. Check the department info for it, but if not go for it with 4+2 :smile:

I did 3+2+1, 3+2+1, 3+3, but you can have any combination within reason, up to 4 per subject, max 3 subjects (I believe).
Hi...This is an old thread but I thought I'd ask anyway..

I've got an unconditional offer for German and IR (combined honours) and am in Aidans college...
How rough is the walk to and from the hill colleges to the arts/languages buildings?
And how does the year abroad work? I'm totally clueless...Is it purely through Erasmus and dependent on your grades?

Thanks
Hi may I know what are the various colleges that CHSS students are usually allocated to? (I have been allocated to St Mary's)
Original post by JaneIRHocas
Hi...This is an old thread but I thought I'd ask anyway..

I've got an unconditional offer for German and IR (combined honours) and am in Aidans college...
How rough is the walk to and from the hill colleges to the arts/languages buildings?
And how does the year abroad work? I'm totally clueless...Is it purely through Erasmus and dependent on your grades?

Thanks

Not rough at all, 25 minutes maximum. I'd walk Butler to Theology or Education in first year (further than Aidans to language, I'd presume IR is in the same building) and it's just part of life. Not the best thing if the weather is a bit miserable, but just something that a lot of people do every day!
Can't answer about YA, sorry. Maybe look on Web pages or send an email?

Original post by javelinpumpkin
Hi may I know what are the various colleges that CHSS students are usually allocated to? (I have been allocated to St Mary's)

We're allocated everywhere, each college has a mix of people! Marys seems lovely from what I've heard, though!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest