The Student Room Group

GCSE help from a current Year 12

if anyone needs any tips or advice or questions about gcse's or choosing as levels or whatever feel free to ask! Feels like a lifetime ago but i'll try and answer as best i can! :smile:
GCSE's i took:
Maths
Science
Additional science
Further Additional science
Humanities
Geography
History
English Lit
English Lang
Ethics
Philosophy
Physical education
Italian
DT Food
Child DEvelopment

AS's that I've taken: Geography, History, Chemistry, Biology

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Beth_p
if anyone needs any tips or advice or questions about gcse's or choosing as levels or whatever feel free to ask! Feels like a lifetime ago but i'll try and answer as best i can! :smile:
GCSE's i took:
Maths
Science
Additional science
Further Additional science
Humanities
Geography
History
English Lit
English Lang
Ethics
Philosophy
Physical education
Italian
DT Food
Child DEvelopment

AS's that I've taken: Geography, History, Chemistry, Biology

What specific grades did you achieve for each GCSE?
Reply 2
Original post by taylortron99
What specific grades did you achieve for each GCSE?

Maths A*
Science A
Additional science A
Further Additional science A*
Humanities A
Geography A
History A*
English Lit A*
English Lang A
Ethics A*
Philosophy A*
Physical education A
Italian A*
DT Food A
Child DEvelopment A*
overall 8 A* and 7 A :smile:
Original post by Beth_p
Maths A*
Science A
Additional science A
Further Additional science A*
Humanities A
Geography A
History A*
English Lit A*
English Lang A
Ethics A*
Philosophy A*
Physical education A
Italian A*
DT Food A
Child DEvelopment A*
overall 8 A* and 7 A :smile:

Ok then. Give me every single tip to get as high as you!!!:biggrin:
Reply 4
Ok then. Give me every single tip to get as high as you!!!:biggrin:

ahha!!! :tongue: Well i have to say, with GCSE's it is mostly about how much you can memorise (unlike a level)-i memoried the whole of the Biology 3 text book in a weekend for my further additional science as i had so many other exams to revise for! It's all about balance i think, make sure you revise the stuff that you have no idea about first, don't waste time going over the stuff you know just to make yourself feel better ( i was a culprit of that aha) People say make a timetable, if that works for you then great, but tbh for me i tried one and i jsut couldnt stick to it as, as soon as i started i felt i was revising the wrong thing and then switched to another. So everyday when i got home i just wrote on a sticky note what my goals for the evening were and time limits and made sure i met them. That way if you're slacking you feel like you have to do it and then feel accomplished at the end. In terms of how long to revise for, i'm one of those odd people that can revise for hours on end, but obvs everyone is different and has diff. ways. It's important to give yourself a break if you feel yourself becoming distracted, that way you'll be more focused when you start up again!
In terms of how to revise, what i basically did was had all my class notes, then rewrote them in a clearer format. I would then make flashcard for things like history and geography/ italian. Then for subjects with heavy content i would either write it out till it was memorised or type it out.

Hope that helps in some way, feel free to ask any more questions! :biggrin:
Original post by Beth_p
ahha!!! :tongue: Well i have to say, with GCSE's it is mostly about how much you can memorise (unlike a level)-i memoried the whole of the Biology 3 text book in a weekend for my further additional science as i had so many other exams to revise for! It's all about balance i think, make sure you revise the stuff that you have no idea about first, don't waste time going over the stuff you know just to make yourself feel better ( i was a culprit of that aha) People say make a timetable, if that works for you then great, but tbh for me i tried one and i jsut couldnt stick to it as, as soon as i started i felt i was revising the wrong thing and then switched to another. So everyday when i got home i just wrote on a sticky note what my goals for the evening were and time limits and made sure i met them. That way if you're slacking you feel like you have to do it and then feel accomplished at the end. In terms of how long to revise for, i'm one of those odd people that can revise for hours on end, but obvs everyone is different and has diff. ways. It's important to give yourself a break if you feel yourself becoming distracted, that way you'll be more focused when you start up again!
In terms of how to revise, what i basically did was had all my class notes, then rewrote them in a clearer format. I would then make flashcard for things like history and geography/ italian. Then for subjects with heavy content i would either write it out till it was memorised or type it out.

Thanks! :colone:Firstly, which exam board were you for History? Secondly, I have a lot of outstanding work I need to study however I keep procrastinating, how do I get motivated?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Beth_p

Which exam board were you on for science and english and what are your tips?
Ho anche questo 'Thread' :woo:
Reply 8
Thanks! :colone:Firstly, which exam board were you for OCR? Secondly, I have a lot of outstanding work I need to study however I keep procrasinating, how do I get motivated?

For history i was on OCR :smile:)

And i would make a list of the outstanding work in priority order .e.g dates of hw due in or exams and I would consider the consequences if its not handed in on time e.g. is one teacher going to mind more than another (only if you don't have enough time though ) Maybe have in your mind a reward that you can only have after you've done everything :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Ho anche questo 'Thread' :woo:

sorry-I didn't realise there was a policy about more than one person having a similar thread? :/ the more help the better right? Scusi
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Beth_p
I don't think i was on OCR for anything: mainly Edexcel only OCR for child development i think- sorry if that means i'm not much help!

And i would make a list of the outstanding work in priority order .e.g dates of hw due in or exams and I would consider the consequences if its not handed in on time e.g. is one teacher going to mind more than another (only if you don't have enough time though ) Maybe have in your mind a reward that you can only have after you've done everything :smile:

When I mean outstanding work, I don't mean work that I owe teachers. I mean there are some topics that are present in the syllabus that I have not studied yet.
Reply 11
Original post by BinHasanTheGreat
Which exam board were you on for science and english and what are your tips?

Science: Edexcel
- do lots of past papers
- make flashcards/posters/write notes out on a4 sheet/type up till memorised
- answer questions in revision guide
-make your own questions/answer
- get friends/ yourself to test each other/family
- Youtube videos are great like mygcsebiology (for AQA but it s helpful)

English: OCR
- i made big mindmaps on each character/ themes/events
- made sheets of quotes and mini analysis
- practice question (some just bulletpointed)
- practice full analysis of a small quote so you develop your answers and get into higher grade boundary
- i only read the book like twice - spark notes is good for brief descriptions
Reply 12
When I mean outstanding work, I don't mean work that I owe teachers. I mean there are some topics that are present in the syllabus that I have not studied yet.

oh my bad misinterpreted that! well i would get on and start making notes on them if you have time- that's what i did as some of my teachers missed out sections/thought they weren't covered well enough. That way you'll be ahead of the game and when it comes to learning in class it will be revision to you :smile:
Original post by Beth_p
Science: Edexcel
- do lots of past papers
- make flashcards/posters/write notes out on a4 sheet/type up till memorised
- answer questions in revision guide
-make your own questions/answer
- get friends/ yourself to test each other/family
- Youtube videos are great like mygcsebiology (for AQA but it s helpful)

English: OCR
- i made big mindmaps on each character/ themes/events
- made sheets of quotes and mini analysis
- practice question (some just bulletpointed)
- practice full analysis of a small quote so you develop your answers and get into higher grade boundary
- i only read the book like twice - spark notes is good for brief descriptions

Thank you very much, and well done on your astounding results.
Original post by Beth_p
sorry-I wasn't aware there was a policy about more than one person having a similar thread? :/ the more help the better right? Scusi

Lol I didn't say it was bad
Reply 15
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Lol I didn't say it was bad

oh ok then, well sorry anyway :redface:
Reply 16
Original post by BinHasanTheGreat
Thank you very much, and well done on your astounding results.

No problem! Hope it all goes well for you! And thank you so much!:colondollar:
Reply 17
this was such a big help! sometimes I find it hard to remember all this info and get it stuck in my head do u have any more tips to help all the info stick??
also how many hours did u revise a day?
Reply 18
Original post by idwyer1
this was such a big help! sometimes I find it hard to remember all this info and get it stuck in my head do u have any more tips to help all the info stick??
also how many hours did u revise a day?

That's great I'm glad i could help!!
I just kept rewriting it until it was lodged in my brain and memorised. A method i use at the moment is really helping me- after looking at all my notes i make a4 poster pages, with the information set out clearly so it's all on one page. That way you can refer to a section bit by bit straight from the specification so you know you've covered everything, whilst having extra info from your class notes to refer back to :smile:
You could also try writing small notes on sticky pads and putting them places (some of my friends tried that) or making posters and sticking them up on your wall- whatever works best for you?
In terms of how long- around exam time we would revise at school and i would in my lunchtimes/after school revision sessions. I would then come home and have a half an hour/hour break and then just revise for the rest of the evening. I think it's defiantly about the quality over quantity though, so don't worry if some people do way more than you as that may mean they need more time processing it or whatever :smile:
How many hours a day did you revise (excluding homework) at this point of time
How many hours a week?

How did revision hours increase as you got nearer the time of exams?

Quick Reply

Latest